PDA

View Full Version : Question Softer / Harder Alloys

billdean
03-30-2013, 11:59 PM
I currently am using Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy Ingot (2%-Tin,-6%-Antimony-And-92%-Lead) to cast with. My question is:

To make this alloy softer I add what?
To make this alloy harder I add what?

RickinTN
03-31-2013, 12:18 AM
In order to get a softer alloy you would add pure lead, how much is up to you. To get it harder you could either add Antimony (which would make your bullets more brittle) or you could water-drop or heat treat. I'm not sure exactly how hardball alloy responds to either quenching or heat treating but am comfortable it would make it harder. I've found the reading on the LASC website on alloys to be very informative and enjoyable. If you are not familiar with it a link to that site can be found at the bottom of the page on any page on this forum. I'll warn you there are several days and weeks worth of information on that site to study and absorb. I use it for reference regularly.

billdean
03-31-2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks Rick..............You are right loads of info there.

303Guy
03-31-2013, 05:04 PM
You could add copper to make it harder without the penalty of brittleness. In fact, it might even reduce the brittleness. I'd dissolve the copper in - only about 0.2% is needed.

mdi
03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Tin will add some hardness, use up to 2%. Lynotype is also used for hardening bullet alloy.