PDA

View Full Version : need some advice please

whomeno
03-30-2013, 04:50 PM
After a long day at this new mould. It went from a wrinkle bullet too this(pics). I have cleaned and cleaned and used a cast bullet and laped. so how do this look. what else am I missing? these are water droped.

45-70 Chevroner
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
They look good to me. I see one reject, the one on the left in the middle row in the left picture. The rest look good. In the process of checking for rejects be sure you cull anyting that has a bad looking base as per the one in the picture, a little wrinkle on the nose or on the side is ok as long as the wrinkle is not very deep. Some guys don't like wrinkles any where. I don't have a problem with small wrinkles on pistol boolits for plinking. If I get serious about target shooting I cull anything that doesn't look perfect and then I even weigh them and reject any thing that is +- .3 grains of an everage weight. I weigh 10 or 20 of them and pick one in the middle and the rest that come within that weight +- .3 gr.

wallenba
03-30-2013, 05:45 PM
They look pretty good and OK to shoot. Only thing I can suggest is to hold off a little longer before cutting the sprue. It looks as though you are tearing them out leaving a scar hole. That happens when the alloy is still cooling and drawing down. Once you see the dimple form on top of the sprue, count to four or five then cut.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-30-2013, 06:26 PM
What these guys said. They look really good. I would mic the diameter in the middle of the boolit to see if it is correct or not. I had a problem with that when I first started using the TL design molds.

MtGun44
03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Can't tell too much from that distance. The typical problems are a mold cavity
with contaminants and too cool a mold. If you think the fill out is poor, (can't
really see, what do YOU think is the issue?) add some tin and cast faster
to get the mold up to temp.

Lube and shoot some. Mr. Target knows if they are any good.

Bill

whomeno
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the input.