PDA

View Full Version : Lee .22 Bator issue

dualsport
03-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Up til now I've been tumble lubing and sizing these in a Lee push thru. I finally got a Lyman .225 die for my old 450. I want to try conventional lubing/sizing on these but the lube just squirts up under the boolit. Am I not getting it far enough down in the die? What top punch are you using?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2013, 02:37 PM
yeah, you probably need to push the boolit farther into the die. You may have too much pressure on the lube as well. I had theprofessor make a custom top punch.

Also, if you have an older Lyman die with the 16 large lube holes, I have found it necessary to plug some of the holes where the base of the boolit is pushed to. See the 9th post in this sticky for more info on this.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

Good Luck,
Jon

MT Gianni
03-31-2013, 12:27 AM
I have a piece of 1/4" rod that I cut short and filed the threads off of while it was spinning in a drill press. It works OK but is not a thing of beauty.

fcvan
03-31-2013, 06:48 AM
I lube my 225-415 boolits with a Lyman 450. I would adjust the sizing depth so that the base of the boolit doesn't line up with a lube port. I have sone Bator boolits I got in trade, but I haven't lubed any yet. When I do, I will make sure to have the 450 adjusted to suit.