PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter and Jelly freak of nature

03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
BubbaJon, you are right PB&J is a treat from the gods. I eat one of these about 4 times a week.65880

snuffy
03-30-2013, 01:04 PM
The idea of that has never appealed to me. SO I can say I've never had one!:shock::eek::shock:

Now, even if I were to want to, I can't do it. Being diabetic, that load of carbs and sugar would peg my meter, and require extra insulin. Be glad you can still eat those, and bon appetite!

Swamp Man
03-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Drop the jelly and we're talking good eats. I'm a peanut butter junky but can do without the jelly.

RayinNH
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm more of a "fluffernutter" fan myself :smile:

Echo
03-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Slather on the PB, add 4 pats of butter, top with peach preserves - AKA Ambrosia!

LUBEDUDE
03-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Or the Elvis Special - PB and sliced Bananas.

A few years ago Reese's PB Cups put out a limited edition with banana creme in it for Elvis' birthday. Sounds gross, but they were awesome!

BruceB
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
The Being diabetic, that load of carbs and sugar would peg my meter, and require extra insulin.

The peanut butter is a good source pf protein, and Smuckers (and possibly others) make sugar-free jellies and preserves.

I too am diabetic, and PB&J sandwiches are a favorite (WITH the sugar-free preserves/jams).

xacex
03-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Or the Elvis Special - PB and sliced Bananas.

A few years ago Reese's PB Cups put out a limited edition with banana creme in it for Elvis' birthday. Sounds gross, but they were awesome!

You forgot the bacon!

bob208
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
my mom could make jelly out of just about anything. i carried alot of p-j sandwiches to school. sadly like others i can not have the carbs and suger.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
cumber!

ACrowe25
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
I used to love them when young, and still do once in awhile. Thanks for the reminder, I'll make one for a quick snack tonight lol.

R.M.
03-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Like BruceB said,there's low carb versions of PB, jam, and bread. There's no need to avoid PB&J, just in moderation, using the right ingredients.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Take that picture of peanut butter and jelly and put it on toast! Nice hot toast that starts to melt the peanut butter........ I eat them quite often.

runfiverun
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
that is not how you make a pb&j.
you lightly toast the bread.
not brown or unevenly toasted either, just softly golden toasted so it has a little crunch.
@ 2 minutes on each side in a 350-f oven is just about right.
then you spread pb on both slices evenly and nicely all the way to the edges.
then you put the jam or jelly or marmalade on in 9 nice even bite sized sections.
just before you spread it a titch to make sure it's all the same height.
repeat this 3 times, and pour a glass of milk.
oh,, and use separate knifes.

nvbirdman
03-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Low fat peanut butter and Smuckers sugarless preserves on sourdough is my normal breakfast.

wch
03-30-2013, 07:29 PM
"Moderation in all things...."

Woody3
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Fried PB and J is the way to go. Make a regular PB and J, put two eggs in a shallow bowl, dip both sides of the sandwich in the egg and fry it on a skillet.

You just can't beat a good fried PB and J. Mmmmmm good.

Woody

375RUGER
03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
PB and honey

RickinTN
03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I like a good PBJ as well. I mix the Pb and jelly in a bowl before putting it on the bread. I can't 'splian it but it just taste different than the two put on the bread un-mixed.

Alchemist
03-30-2013, 08:54 PM
I learned this from from my Dad...pb and fresh jalapeno peppers. Clean out the seeds and white stuff (I forget what call it) from inside the peppers. Then slice 'em and put 'em in your sandwich. Something about the pb takes all the heat out of the peppers, but the flavor is still there. BTW, I like hot stuff, so I was surprised and slightly disappointed that there was no heat to the combination.

DLCTEX
03-30-2013, 09:47 PM
I love PBJ with some of our home made Jelly, particularly blackberry, Mustang grape, wild plum, all picked from the wild. I think the thorns, stickers, and critters enhance the flavor. I've been on Atkin's diet for the last couple months as I've got a stress test coming up next week and I needed to lose some weight put on by such treats.

Boyscout
03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I second PB & Honey. Let it sit awhile and crystalize a little. Strawberry Preserves are really good with it too. Tried Blackberry but it is too good by itself and gets overpowered by the PB.

snuffy
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
The peanut butter is a good source pf protein, and Smuckers (and possibly others) make sugar-free jellies and preserves.

I too am diabetic, and PB&J sandwiches are a favorite (WITH the sugar-free preserves/jams).

Do you think that @ 67 it's too late to at least try it once?:lol:

I'm quite familiar with the Smuckers sugar free preserves. I buy it all the time to put on a slice of toast with real butter. I always get the strawberry, my all time favorite jam.[smilie=2::coffee: I can't tell the difference, but in all fairness, I can't do a direct comparison to real strawberry jam!

As much as everybody likes it, I may have been missing something.

DeanWinchester
03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd rather have Nutkao or Nutella. Not a big peanut butter fan here.

xacex
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
It seems we have nothing but pbj's with blackberry jam here in Oregon. When you are cursed with them dang plants you learn to make the best of it. Every year we put up a few pint cases of Blackberry jam, and jelly( I like it without the seeds.)

03-31-2013, 04:56 AM
For a real ooey and gooey treat make the sandwich, smear mayo on the outside, place on a griddle and cook like a grilled cheese. You have to eat it with a knife and fork.

missionary5155
03-31-2013, 06:13 AM
Good morning
Two favorites Peanut butter with an apple. Then peanut butter, pickle and letuce snadwich.
Mike in Peru

dale2242
03-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Peanut Butter spread on celery sticks. UMM UMM....dale

1Shirt
03-31-2013, 06:51 AM
It is all good, but emphasis on BACON, and marmalade! Not so sure about the marshmello fluff however.
1Shirt!

bruce drake
03-31-2013, 07:32 AM
I'll go thirds on Peanut Butter and Honey. I'm not a huge fan of PB but if you add honey to it, its darn good.

William Yanda
03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=LUBEDUDE;2144566]Or the Elvis Special - PB and sliced Bananas.

specially with some salad dressing on one side!

Rick N Bama
03-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Peanut Butter is great in your morning Oatmeal as well.

Rick

DLCTEX
03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Snuffy: Quote: "Do you think that @ 67 it's too late to at least try it once?:D"
I'm 67 and it doesn't hurt me a bit. Try it, what have you got to lose but pounds?:lol:

Blacksmith
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
+1 on Peanut Butter and Pickle. Especially Sweet Gherkins sliced thin with PB on toast.

birdadly
03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
My folks brought me up eating Peanut butter, Jelly and Summer Sausage on bread. I love it! -Brad

blackthorn
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Snuffy: Quote: "Do you think that @ 67 it's too late to at least try it once?:D"
I'm 67 and it doesn't hurt me a bit. Try it, what have you got to lose but pounds?:lol:

You for sure won't "lose pounds" eating P&B sandwiches!! Just check out the calories in PB! BUT They sure are good.

snuffy
03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Peanut Butter spread on celery sticks. UMM UMM....dale

Holy cow is that right on! If I'm starving while cooking supper, I'll whip out some celery and PB. Stave's off the hunger pangs long enough to finish cooking!

Snuffy: Quote: "Do you think that @ 67 it's too late to at least try it once?"
I'm 67 and it doesn't hurt me a bit. Try it, what have you got to lose but pounds?

I just made a sugar free chocolate devils food cake with sugar free chocolate frosting, so once that's gone, I'll do PB&J with strawberry jam.

375supermag
03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
I like Jif Creamy Peanut Butter and Welch's Grape Jelly on wheat bread...

So does my Black Lab. He's spoiled rotten.

RayinNH
03-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Pickles, salad dressing, sausage. Some of you guys are hardcore...Ray

btroj
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
I may be the odd man out but i don't care for peanut butter

Denver
03-31-2013, 11:55 PM
I mix up PB&J in a small dish and put it in the bird feeder. We have a couple pileated woodpeckers that just love it. Really fun to watch them eat the stuff.

DHurtig
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Plus one on the peanut butter and honey. Gonna have to try the peanut butter and jalapeno's. That just might be yummy. Dale

badbob454
04-01-2013, 12:40 AM
my favorite is peanut butter , strawberry preserves, and sliced thick bananna . on whole wheat bread . my god who needs dessert...

runfiverun
04-01-2013, 01:18 AM
I mix up PB&J in a small dish and put it in the bird feeder. We have a couple pileated woodpeckers that just love it. Really fun to watch them eat the stuff.

gonna have to remember that, pileated woodpeckers are delicious.

coloraydo
04-01-2013, 01:34 AM
I like peanut butter and syrup as a sandwich.
For a good change, try P/B and syrup on pancakes. Don't know what it is, but the P/B really brings out the maple flavor in the syrup.
Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!!!!

04-01-2013, 05:54 AM
gonna have to remember that, pileated woodpeckers are delicious.

A pileated woodpecker helped me kill my first turkey.

04-01-2013, 05:55 AM
I may be the odd man out but i don't care for peanut butter

To each his own, but I'm sorry to hear that.

Wal'
04-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Mmmmmm'......gunna go back to first post & try all these sandwich combinations, I'm another P-B lover...........maybe not the Jalapeno's though, haven't heard of them here, but have Peppers & Capsicums which I think are much the same thing.

Peppers/Jalapenos & P-B .......... now that's a challenge.

10-x
04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Try PB and potato chips..........used to mix bird feed with PB, make a 2" ball and set it on a feeder. Mocking birds and woodpeckers really like it.

BDJ
04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Pb and homemade Elderberry jelly my all time favorite.

Gliden07
04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I like Crunchy PB on a spoon, toast, PBJ etc... Another thing I like is Almond butter from health food store!!

C.F.Plinker
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
OK you have forced me to reveal my favorite combination. There is nothing better than a peanut butter / swiss cheese hamburger. Grill the hamburger patty, melt the cheese on the top, put it upside down on the top bun (which is grilled of course) spread the peanut butter on the bottom of the patty so it melts, put the bottom of the bun on it and turn the whole thing over. Cut in half if you want and enjoy one of the best burgers you have ever had.

badgeredd
04-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I think my favorite combo is PB, lettuce and Bacon. I can hear the arteries clog as I eat it, but I'll die happy.

Edd

Hamish
04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
And I thought I was the only guy who had ever put peanut butter on a hamburger. PB and fried bologna is pretty good too. PB globs in your morning cereal,,,,,,,,Did I mention my Dr. is not real happy with my weight?

**oneshot**
04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Peanut butter and Nutella on toast.

Gliden07
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
OK you have forced me to reveal my favorite combination. There is nothing better than a peanut butter / swiss cheese hamburger. Grill the hamburger patty, melt the cheese on the top, put it upside down on the top bun (which is grilled of course) spread the peanut butter on the bottom of the patty so it melts, put the bottom of the bun on it and turn the whole thing over. Cut in half if you want and enjoy one of the best burgers you have ever had.

There was a Food Network show that had a restaurant on that served a burger like this it was called the "Goober Burger".

popper
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Like R5R says - but it's better on fresh dark pumpernickel, a layer of apple sauce with cinnamon sprinkled on top. And of course the old standby - BACON, hot or cold. Dad liked the bananas but used slightly brown ones cause the potassium was higher. The store would almost give them away.

geargnasher
04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Whole wheat bread, untoasted, Smucker's all-natural peanut butter (the kind with no sugar and you have to keep it stirred up), and a layer of bread 'n' butter pickle slices.

Or, same as above, toast the bread, and put on a thick layer of Bama apple butter.

If you mix in honey or sorghum syrup (from the yellow steel can), with the PB, no need for the bread, just eat it with the butter knife you used to mix it.

Gear

xacex
04-02-2013, 02:21 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned a cool whip/pb sandwich. Mix up the two, and slather it on some toast.

reloaderman1
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Ah, PB&J ........... seconded only by bacon !

kenyerian
04-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Back in the 70's a friend of mine was trying to make as an outdoor writer and he practicaly lived on peanut butter sandwiches. he was so hard up for money he couldn't aford the jelly.

Blacksmith
04-02-2013, 11:19 AM
A pileated woodpecker helped me kill my first turkey.

I would like to hear the rest of that story!

scottiemom
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
PB and bacon on lightly toasted bread. Just as good is PB with nutellla on toasted bread. Oh my!! yummo!!

fryboy
04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
seems many casters are also goobers ( go figure :P ) as they say ... you are what you eat ...leaving me to wonder - is there a bad way to eat peanut butter ? yeah , we all have our fav's , mine's with raw honey ( a lil added comb never hurts ) on fresh homemade lite rye bread ( i make a loaf every day in a bread machine - that leaves the house smelling awesum btw !! ) sprinkled liberally with cinnamon , in fact it's the second sandwich in my lunch box 5-6 days a week . even better ? ( especially for all you PB lovers ) i store alot of umm aging cast boolits ( waiting to be lubed ) in empty peanut butter jars ( talk about crunchy :P )
i have to give a nod to strawberry jam as i never have cared for jellies ... jams yes , preserves oh heck yes !!! but for some reason jelly and i never got along
i once made a mistake making my lunch ...two red seasoning bottles ..coffee is still brewing , i grabbed the chili powder by mistake instead of the cinnamon and have to admit that it was better than i thought it would be ( yup i ate it )
a box of ritz crackers , a jar of PB - make alot of lil sandwiches now dip in chocolate and allow to dry - serve at any party and they be a hit , of course now you can buy the ritz bitz with the PB already in the middle but ....
PB ... Pb hmmm ;)

runfiverun
04-03-2013, 11:34 PM
shhh.
chili powder is the secret in my deviled eggs, it goes under the yolk filling.
and I ain't saving any.

04-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I would like to hear the rest of that story!

The woodpecker made the turkey shock gobble. Read about it here. http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/turkey-tales/ The story is called My First Time.