PDA

View Full Version : ballisticast 9mm 2 cavity, question

kendwell
03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Picked up 2 ea double cavity 9mm ballisticast H&G 51? (not in hand,) which need sprue plate and hardware, and no handles. .361 stamp, guess that's the nominal die size,
seems a bit big for the 9mm I'd like.

Any other make handles fit? Ballisticast isn't taking any more orders for molds, machines, but maybe they'd have spares for the sprue plates hardware. Handles @ $50?

Thanks
kendwell
p.s. spot of computer trouble past few days, using library computer now, maybe I can get the back-up dell 510 to work, needs updating, a slow process on dial-up. I can just barely get into my e-mail most of the time.

kendwell
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
edited for right model #, ? is suitability, and how big a sizer needed also, want for 9mm luger.

Echo
03-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm interested, as I also have a pair of these molds - we probably won them on eBay from the same seller.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-30-2013, 04:28 PM
The original H&G #51 was a SWC that looked like a Keith design. It was popular in the 357 Mag. It may be a bit big for the 9mm and a mite heavy as well. I'm not sure about feeding with a meplat such as it has, in the 9mm, but its worth a try. As for sprue plate(s) as long as the pouring hole(s) line up with the cavity(ies) you're going to get good bullets. In a pinch you can make your own plates out of 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum plate and they work fine. LLS

williamwaco
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
The H&G 51 would be Ballisti-cast #651

It is my all time favorite .38 / .357 bullet.

It is a relatively blunt Keith type SWC and I would be shocked if it would work at all in the 9mm.