PDA

View Full Version : ??? 8mm...lee 175 vs 165 323407

mike in co
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
ok since i now own a couple of 8mm k98's again. trying to pick a mould. i had a lee 175 but it was a *** to use...boolit was fine. looking at the 323407 lovern style 165...... any better ...the same ? any comments( i like the steel molds over any lee std mould. throat fitting ??
help..thanks
mike

mroliver77
08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Well Mike, The six cavity lee mold is of better quality than the ones and twosies. There is a group buy getting going on a copy of the lee bullet fattend up some. Go to group buys on this site and read on it. It looks like a good setup so far. Also there is a couple articles on "Leementing" Lee molds on this site. Good information on making the cheapo moulds work. There is two heavy custom bullet molds from members of this site for sale at Midsouth Shooting Supply but they are in Lee molds. Out of financial nesessity I have many Lee moulds and turn out some nice boolits with them. Anyhow jump to the group buys and you can learn alot about molds if nothing else. Jay

Oldfeller
08-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Heck, Mike, just take it as a sign you haven't been posting enough lately and just grin about it .... I got the same a few weeks ago myself after not posting for 30 days or so. I'm waiting for Grumble or Jump to get greeted whenever they post in (some fun, let me tell ya -- I can't wait ...)

<g>

Anyhoooo, welcome to the new MUCH EXPANDED cast boolit list, complete with pleasant new-person greeters and all. Never mind that you supplied the bolt bending blocks to do the fund raiser for the Roots Roost east coast shoot (we never did get any takers on that shoot and Mike Root is still holding the funds to put it on) dating way back to the start-up on the previous last version of this list .....

Did you ever get a gun built around that Mauser action? Did you ever locate a good long term job? (a thing I am still working on in between working for a living).

How has you been a doing, anyway?

Oldfeller

mroliver77
08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Makes me wonder why I even bother. Jay

Oldfeller
08-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Not to worry, nine times out of 10 you would have been spot on the money. This one was just the #10th roll of the dice.

Mike hasn't posted in a while, so I greeted him in proper old fart fashion since he would be expecting it having finally checked his ass in from the great outer cold to warm his hands by the fire.

T'aint your fault, these occasional vintage folks don't come in with stickers on their foreheads saying "old timer" and that damn auto-labeler thingy is just plain misleading sometimes. It lied to you. We ought to junk the "Bullet Buddy" feature, truth be known.

It coulda been a lot worse, you coulda greeted "Bullet Buddy" Aladin or "Bullet Bub" Mad Mexican or some other oldtimer what was especially noted for their really really eccentric sense of humor ....

Oldfeller

mike in co
08-09-2005, 12:27 AM
i liked building the two 308 win rifles off mauser actions so much, that i bought two 8mm german/yugo rebuilds to use as actions . well guess what one is a new bbl on a great action, and the other is just a normal used 8mm ...good bbl but a bit rough for cast.

way back when , when i had most of the custom 8mm molds they were too long for my throat on the 8mm i had. i got rid of all my 8mm molds, and am looking to add ONE to try in the new i just got.

i did build a 308 with a 1/13 twist which handles nosler 175's very well( the one 45nut shot was a 1/14). i have just started with cast in this gun. nothing special so far. would like to try some 150/130 cast's in my br 308 ar10( dont laugh) with a 1/16 (17 ?) twist. it shoots very well with 135 br custom condoms......as little as .116" at 100 yds.
maybe build a single shot mauser for 130/150 cast boolit only gun.....someone want to guess at a good twist ?? same as condom ?? or ??

work...is full time subaru sales, plus working a part time ffl special order desk, and doing some studying on the finance world..again.... not a lot of time for shooting...but i do run a br mil bolt action match , shoot my 44 rem mag ruger in a steel match...and a ipsc match......working on getting into the local mil rifle postion shoot( the sniper match only).
paying the bills, a little extra fer shootin'....
picked up more beeswax.....so i guess im around for a while...

so has anyone shot the 165 loverin ??? throat problems ???
anyone ever taken a throat reamer to a 8 mm ??
next...

mike in co
08-09-2005, 12:32 AM
jay... i like your freud statement so much you can post any time u want...even with nothing to say..just to post the statement....i love it!

Oldfeller
08-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Mike, I'd go halves or thirds on an 8mm throater if you bird dogged it, I've got a Yugo with a short throat.

Oldfeller

mike in co
08-10-2005, 12:20 AM
i'll see what they run from jgs...they have done all my reamers so far....

Calamity Jake
08-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Mike I have the 323470 and a Saeco 081, a 190rn bore rider, be glad to send samples of both dressed at .325 with FL or naked, your choice, there cast in eather 50/50 WW/Lino or 75/25 WW/Lino I don't remember for sure, I will have to look when I get home.
I have only one 8MM, a Yugo 48 all machined, the Saeco 081 will hold about 3/3.5 inches at 100 if I do my part, the rough Mil sights and my bad eyes doesn't help any. I have some 323470's loaded just haven't time to shoot any.
Send me PM here or email: lcanary@entek.net with snail mail addy