PDA

View Full Version : what would you stash...

nixpap
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
(Load wise ) dropping a 148 gr wc &swc for put away ammo?
Any favs?[smilie=6:

runfiverun
03-29-2013, 10:58 PM
i'm assuming this is for uunsocial encounter use.
90% of mine uses a big primer.
I do however have 3-4,000 357's in a tupperwear container somewhere.
it consists of a 158 gr rnfp and 7 grs of herco.
it fits the leverguns and the revolvers just fine, isn't over or underpowered, and the powder isn't all that picky about storage or temperature at time of use either.

detox
03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Alloy wise...lead and tin.

Here is 10lbs of tin.

SciFiJim
03-30-2013, 12:36 AM
I have a couple of thousand rounds of various calibers made up, but I prefer to store most as separate components. That way, I can decide later to load for a specific purpose.

Ha, I just reread what I typed and realized that I would make the news if I was ever raided.

Harter66
03-30-2013, 11:09 AM
It don't matter none what we writes in here "they" are keystroke tracking us all anyways.

I try to keep 4-5 boxes on hand for unexpected guests and trips .

38/357 get 158 RNFPs
SWCs for 40 and 45
312-155s for-30s
285-130 and 27-130s for 7s

I try to keep 2-500 ready to assemble of each.

oh how I wish we could just speak freely can you believe we actually are thinking OMG that line could lead to a raid . Mission accomplished we're paraniod

Ohio Rusty
03-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I can't shoot 'em if they are unassembled. As fast as I get them cast, I try to get them loaded. Currently I have about 200 429244's cast boolits to get loaded and probably about the same amount of Lee 158 gr. Hollowpoints. Putting the gas checks on them one at a time takes alot of time until you have a quantity that can be loaded and ready to pop the cap on ............
I think I have a couple boxes of 50 rounds loaded and stored.
Ohio Rusty ><>

mdi
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I guess yer talking about .38 Special. Well, my house gun is stoked with 148 gr. flat based wadcutters over a stiff load of W231, and I've got a couple hundred loaded up. For "social" work the large meplate will deliver a lot of tissue damage and shock, without over penetration (I got neighbors). For "survival", in my 4" revolver this would be a good small game load, accurate to about 40 yds.

But my favorite all time cartridge is .44 Magnum and I've got reloads laying around that go from round ball, gallery loads up to T-Rex killer 265 gr Ranch Dog's over a lot of WC820 or 2400. Good for any situation this old guy will encounter...

SciFiJim
03-30-2013, 09:24 PM
oh how I wish we could just speak freely can you believe we actually are thinking OMG that line could lead to a raid . Mission accomplished we're paranoid

I think it is more a matter of perspective. What I consider a decent supply of loaded ammo and supplies for myself and my family, the hoplophobes would consider an ammo factory. For them, a box of 50 rounds sounds like a lot.

DrCaveman
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I mostly keep factory ammo at the bedside, and loaded up in a few magazines of various caliber.

Not for any legal or performance reason, i just got sick of the idea of throwing $.25-1.00 down each time i pulled the trigger. So saved my last factory ammo purchases, at least a few.

I guess maybe i am the minority in that i pretty much shoot everything i loaded each week. Mondays are 38/357, tuesdays are 45 auto, wednesdays are 30 cal rifle, thursdays are 45/70. Shoot em all come saturday or sunday.

Nah i dont really follow that schedule but it's kinda like that

Always good to know i have mags full of trustworthy factory ammo waiting at home. I am still basically getting my feet wet into loading cast so i experiment like crazy and never load too many of a particular experiment.

To answer: 148 wc is my target boolit so no dice for HD though it may perform well. Unique at 5.0 gr behind a 158 swc is a nice load, i trust it would deliver the hurt.

jdgabbard
03-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Well... I'm sorta a prepper I would suppose... I keep several hundred of each style of boolit I own on had, unloaded. I always keep several hundred of whatever type I load for on hand. I keep thousands (yes, that is correct, thousands) of 5.56 and 7.62x39 on hand. I try to buy my powder by the 4-8lb jug. And I buy primers by the sleeves... So I guess you could say that I am prepped. But for 148gr wadcutters, I like 3.0gr of Bullseye over any standard primer. I also load those seated and crimped at the first grease groove with a very stiff load of 2400 for use in the .357magnum for a "whopper" load. Works great on armadillos down in SE Oklahoma.