PDA

View Full Version : Kalispell Spring Gun Show

waksupi
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
The social event of the year is underway here. I spent more time shaking hands with old friends, than looking at guns. What I did see, kind of surprised me. I saw some very good deals.
There was a nearly pristine Krag for $160, and a few other sleepers scattered around. A beautiful 4 bore double barrel elephant rifle like new condition, I didn't even look at the price.
Lots of ammo, even .22, but the prices were generally outrageous. I did find a box of 100 .22 shorts I wanted for varmint control. Only $5! Before the panic, they were over $12 for 50 in the sporting goods stores here.
I talked to Janet Monk, and told her that the link to the Sharps Rifle book wasn't working. She said they had been having trouble with it, and thought it was up. Just checked, no it isn't, I'll keep you updated when it gets functioning.
I also saw Board member "Deacon" there, looking like he had wintered well.
Lead was selling for $2 per pound. There are two, maybe three cast boolit vendors there.
All in all, one of the best shows I've seen here in years. Wish I would have got some tables!

alrighty
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a great show.I haven't seen a pristine Krag in several years and one less than $400.00 is rare for my neck of the woods.

Para82
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Waksupi,
Went through Kalispell couple years ago on the way to Glacier Park. Nice territory.Wish I could find a good show here.That sounds like a rely good one.
Para82

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Hmm, I wasnt gonna go, but maybe I will now :)

jaystuw
03-29-2013, 11:58 PM
The last really nice krag that i bought ( a model 1898 rifle built in 1903) cost me 175 bucks, In 1977!

psychicrhino
03-30-2013, 01:18 AM
Sounds like it was a good show with lots to see.

Piedmont
03-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Waksupi,
Went through Kalispell couple years ago on the way to Glacier Park. Nice territory.Wish I could find a good show here.That sounds like a rely good one.
Para82

Me too. Went through there five or so years ago. Beautiful area. Glacier Park was the most impressive place I have ever seen.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
So I went today, I couldn't afford to pick up and look at anything that interested me, but there was lots of things I found interesting.
Still no tang peeps for a 99 Savage, but apparently my $275 .308 is now worth near 1000 bucks

waksupi
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Better sell if you can get a grand! I saw several there in the $400 range. Or maybe all of those sold before you got there!

uscra112
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
You guys have all the the luck! Back here a Krag sporter with a shot-out bore won't go for less than $400 unless it's missing parts or beat up externally.

FLINTNFIRE
03-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Sounds like it was a good show wish I had been to it , will make a note to go next year .

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Rick I saw a few 99's for that price range, late model blonde wood versions.

Monttexan
04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Kalispell is my home town. I was up there very briefly early last December and coincidentally it was the weekend of the gun show. Much better deals to be found there than the shows I've been to here in Texas! I scored a Berretta 12 gauge O/U for $425. Wouldn't have happened around here!

onceabull
04-01-2013, 12:29 AM
That's my experience to date--Texas is a grand place to sell guns, for the buy side, NOT SO MUCH..Onceabull[smilie=f:

waksupi
04-01-2013, 12:54 AM
The great thing about the spring show here, it brings out the best dealers from the north west than display at any other show here of the year. You find guns by Dennis Olsen, Jerry Fisher, Monte Kennedy, John Buhmiller, Monte Mandarino, and other top custom builders, living and dead. You never can tell what you will find.

janet monk
04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
The social event of the year is underway here. I spent more time shaking hands with old friends, than looking at guns. What I did see, kind of surprised me. I saw some very good deals.
There was a nearly pristine Krag for $160, and a few other sleepers scattered around. A beautiful 4 bore double barrel elephant rifle like new condition, I didn't even look at the price.
Lots of ammo, even .22, but the prices were generally outrageous. I did find a box of 100 .22 shorts I wanted for varmint control. Only $5! Before the panic, they were over $12 for 50 in the sporting goods stores here.
I talked to Janet Monk, and told her that the link to the Sharps Rifle book wasn't working. She said they had been having trouble with it, and thought it was up. Just checked, no it isn't, I'll keep you updated when it gets functioning.
I also saw Board member "Deacon" there, looking like he had wintered well.
Lead was selling for $2 per pound. There are two, maybe three cast boolit vendors there.
All in all, one of the best shows I've seen here in years. Wish I would have got some tables!

The gun show was great! My dad, Austin Monk, has a 30-40 that has always been kicking around the house. When I was a fifth grader, in 1953, I went to the one room school near our ranch in Pleasant Valley, west of Kalispell, Mt. We had about 8 students in grade 1 through 8 and my mom was the teacher. During hunting season all the boys were bragging about their dad's hunting guns. They mentioned 30-40 Krags and 30-30. I never heard Austin talking about guns like that, so I went home and asked him why we didn't have any great guns like the other kids in school? He said the only people who had modern guns like that couldn't shoot very well in the first place! You gotta remember that his hunting guns were either a Sharps 45-90 or a 45-70 and he assured me they were plenty big enough to shoot anything he needed to. I'm going to dig out that Krag today and have a look. His inventory of 1978 has it listed as a 30-40 Krag Rifle, Springfield Armory with a value of $80.00.

waksupi
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Glad you signed on, Janet! Let us know when your link gets working.

Ric

quilbilly
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Same thing here at the Sequim spring gun show last weekend. I never got so many amazing deals on things like molds in one gun show before (except on 22's of course).

onceabull
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Verily, the spring Kalispell show has a great rep.that extends clear into ION country.. Not directly on topic, but a number of folks have talked up the Wisdom,Mt. show to myself and allies.Overhead looks to be an obstacle for a sellside adventure, and I'm guessing a rookie on that side of the tables won't qualify for indoor space...So.maybeso a buy side O'nighter.???????? Onceabull

waksupi
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I've always heard the Wisdom show is good, but never have gone. I think you are closer than I!