PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel media

MOcaster
03-29-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was always skeptical of the stainless steel tumbling media on the top of the page here. I was even more skeptical when I saw it was $10 a pound. I wanted to try it but not for that much so I got on eBay. To my surprise, I found some stainless steel balls that were 0.185" in diameter for $25 + $12.50 shipping for 25 pounds. I didn't really need 25 pounds, but hey, for $38.50, I didn't want to pass it up. So I ordered some. To my surprise, it worked great! The only bad thing is I am using it with BTsniper's method of polishing bullets and the media is just the right size to get stuck in the hollow point of my 40 S&W bullets from 9mm brass. Now I just polish the cases before I swage them into bullets. Other than that, they work great. I hope I helped someone out.

MOcaster

Phoenix
03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
I have had the STM media and thumblers tumbler for about 5 months now. Best thing I ever bought. I bought a Hornady Magnum Ultrasonic cleaner about 4 months before that. It worked ok but took alot longer and the Stainless media worked 10 times better. The pins clean even better than the balls.

There is someone on S&S selling SS media that is magnetic and is alot cheaper.

here is some of the brass cleaned using the STM kit. Took less than an hour to do that.

Those 30-06 cases are LC match more than 40 years old.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
03-29-2013, 06:23 AM
I have a Harbor Freight tumbler and pins I bought elsewhere, for jacket and bullet polishing, works just as advertised!
This swaging is expensive, always something else to add to the tool list!
Nick