PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about lubing this bullet?

Namerifrats
08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
How would you go about lubing a bullet like this.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/namerifrats/highresimage.jpg

It's a small LEE 95 Grain bullet for the 9x18 Makarov. As you can see, it only has a crimp groove. Would you just tuble lube it with LLA or pan lube it and crimp there anyway and wipe the excess?

Dale53
08-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Actually, that groove IS the lube groove. You should taper crimp that bullet. You can pan lube OR use a lube/sizer to do the job.

Dale53

Namerifrats
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Well that explains it then. I haven't loaded this bullet before as I just cast my first ones today. I have the 9x18 Lee Dies, I guess the bullet seater crimp is a taper crimp correct?

Dale53
08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
>>>I guess the bullet seater crimp is a taper crimp correct?<<<

I can't answer that without personal inspection. Quite often, you have to buy the taper crimp die extra.

Dale53

leftiye
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Name, I've got the Lee 125-2R rnpb mold. I have to lube it with LLA, and fill the groove with Lar's C-red. Can't get enough lube in that groove. FWIW. If your ctg. loa is correct in your gun, you can crimp lightly against the rear face of the front of the groove and it will hold the boolit fine against recoil pushing the boolit back into the case. Dip lubing should help with boolit engraving too.

The crimp is done with a standard die (roll crimp). Just enough to engage the front edge of the lube groove and still leave enough case protruding for headspace.

armoredman
08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Get the Lee Factory Crimp Die, and followset up instructions, that will help a LOT.

Ben
08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't roll crimp that Mak case, it H/spaces on the end of the case mouth. You'll end up with mis-fires.

Ben

trickyasafox
08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
i run these through the regular lee dies, and have that mold. I'd be a liar if i said i knew what kind of crimp gets put on the rounds, but the combo works well in a cz-82 and a pa-63 i measured a factory ball round a while ago and went for the same length, without my book i couldn't tell you what i load them to, but i can tell you they are TINY!

fun round though!