PDA

View Full Version : 38WC in Rossi lever action

45-70 Chevroner
03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Don't do it. I went shooting with a Cousin and a friend the other day. The friend brought along a new Rossi Lever Action rifle. He said he was having trouble with it feeding SWC 38 specials and 357 SWC'ers, and so far it would only feed RN. I tried some of my SWC 38's, no go, i had to push each one of them up the ramp to lever each one into the chamber. I told him that I had one a few years ago and it did just fine with just about anything I tried in it. I had some 38 WC with me and I said lets try some of these. Well it was a disaster, it tried to feed two at once, they were too short, he had to wait till he got home to take it apart to clear the mess. He ask me if I had ever tried WC in my Rossi, my answer, probably not, I think I would have remembered that.

Calamity Jake
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Most Rossi's and SWC's don't work well together although I have one that does and so do a few others on this board.
I have yet to see one feed 38sp length ammo of any kind if it's chambered for 357, there just to short.
In a 38sp case seat the boolit out to mininum 357 length and it will feed just fine.
Once again some on this board say there rossi's will feed 38sp length ammo, mine won't.

finishman2000
03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
i would have to "double pump" it to get it to feed. once you get used to it you can be rather fast.

fritzy1911
03-28-2013, 09:08 PM
My Rossi 92 feeds factory .38,s my 158gr. cswc's, HP's and SP reloads fine, As well as .357mag. HP, SP and CSWC's and has since I bought It. I guess It's just the luck of the draw. I've never tried full WC's but I don't think they would work in any lever action.

Trey45
03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
My Rossi M92 won't feed 38 WC's but it will feed any other 38 I've tried.
Since we're on the topic of Rossi 92's, does ya'lls throw empty brass into the next county too?

45-70 Chevroner
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
The Rossi I had would feed anything that I loaded at the time, 38 SWC, 357's of any kind, I shot it in the Cowboy shoots and I used 38 SWC exclusively and it never failed to feed. I wish I had kept it, it was a tack driver also. I sold it to finance a Rossi in 45 Colt, to match up the caliber of my Vaqueros. The Rossi 45 shoots great with a Lee .452 1R 230 gr. Round Nose. It will not feed 240gr or heavier slugs as the lift won't lift them up.

Trey45: Both of my Rossis would through the emptys all over the place.

220swiftfn
03-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a Rossi in .45 Colt. I'm not sure how much (if any) this'll help your friend, being as it's a different caliber and all. Mine will feed the 270-saa all day long with it crimped in the crimping groove (1.65", over SAAMI, and where *they* say that it won't feed in a levergun.....) Have him check the cartridge guides, if they're too far forward, or not even with each other, they'll stop the cartridge from feeding. Also, if it's trying to feed two cartridges at once, the left hand guide nose is probably bound up and not stopping the next round from the magazine (it tries to put two on the carrier and jams)

Dan

mdi
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
The '92 action was designed to feed rimmed round nose ammo. If yours feeds other bullet styles, great! My Puma won't feed SWC in normal length cases (it's a .44 Mag. and will feed some SWCs in Special cases or cut down Magnum brass). Part of the fun of making yer own ammo is tailoring the ammo to each gun. I now use (I cast) Ranch Dog's .44 cal. 240 and 265 gr. RNFP for my Puma, and they work well in my 4 other .44 magnums...

Check out Nate "Kiowa" Jones web site for info on the '92. http://www.stevesgunz.com/

fecmech
03-29-2013, 08:24 PM
does ya'lls throw empty brass into the next county too?

Take your bolt out and remove the ejector spring and take a trip to the hardware store. Find a spring about the same diameter but thinner wire and install in it's place. Your shells will now stay in the same zip code! Mine land right next to me.

Trey45
03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Fec! Same zip code is what I'm looking for.