PDA

View Full Version : I don't mean to be a Lee basher, but my pot is shocking me?

handyrandyrc
08-24-2007, 02:43 PM
I buy Lee stuff because I'm a cheapskate.

I have the tiny 5 pound pot with the thermostat. It doesn't seem to get as hot as it used to, even cranked wide open. However, it works just fine for my dipping and low production rate of boolits.

Here is my problem -- the bugger is shocking me! I have an aluminium cookie sheet that the pot sits in. This helps me keep things less messy from my spills and drips. It sits on a benchtop at a good height to where I can cast standing up.

I sometimes rest my forearm on the edge of the cookie sheet while I cast. But now I get a nice "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt" tingly shock when I rest my arm on it! Can something have gone wrong inside to where current is now running through the shell of the pot/base? It's funny how we human beings are. I had to set my arm on it 3 times to MAKE SURE that I was getting shocked by it. Then I had to do it with my OTHER arm, just to be CERTAIN it was shocking me. :)

If you think it's an easy fix, I may just tear into it and take a look around inside, see if any exposed wires are touching things they shouldn't. Otherwise, it may be time for another upgrade.

Again, it's not a TON of current, but enough to let me know, "hey, there's POWER here!"

BABore
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
That's Lee's "added value".:-D

357maximum
08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
That's Lee's "added value".:-D

:twisted: Bruce, now thats funny:mrgreen: thanks, I needed that:drinks:

jdhenry
08-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I had to set my arm on it 3 times to MAKE SURE that I was getting shocked by it. Then I had to do it with my OTHER arm, just to be CERTAIN it was shocking me. :)
!"

Did you try sticking your tongue to it just to make sure???????:)

Lee
08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Something ain't right. Sounds like the heating coil is going, or a wire is touching somewhere it shouldn't.
I'd definately tear it apart and look for signs of damage or wear. Lee probably sells the parts you might need, or just buy a new pot.
In any case, I wouldn't feel comfortable with "ANY" appliance that is givine me a shock......................Lee:wink:

Dale53
08-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Most modern appliances have "three wire" plugs with one of the wires being a ground into your wiring system. If the Lee doesn't have a third wire, you can modernize it yourself (IF you understand electricity). If you don't have three wire plugs in your house or shop, maybe it's time you looked into THAT:( .

Using appliances (including lead pots) you can have a "Potential Difference" that can seriously shock you, even if the appliance is not shorted). That is why three wire plugs are now the "norm" and part of the electrical code.

You are correct to be concerned and I suggest you stop using the pot until you determine the cause and apply the appropriate fix. We don't want to lose you!

Dale53

madcaster
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
My post was bad advice!I am not too up on some things.

mazo kid
08-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Sounds like possibly you are getting the shock at reduced voltage because the heat coil is grounded to the frame, maybe halfway along it's length. By all means, take it apart and check it out (unplug it first!) Lee will repair the pot for less than the cost of a new one, give 'em a call. Emery

afrance
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I had the exact same thing happen. I noticed that the pot was "tilted" down in the front and I carefully bent it back level and it stopped shocking me. I didn't take it apart to verify but I assumed the wire attached to the heating element started touching the aluminum housing somewhere and straightening the pot back out made enough of a gap to stop that.

You can easily take the four screws out of the top red square section after removing the knob and visually look at all of the connections.

Alan

Uncle R.
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
You are correct to be concerned and I suggest you stop using the pot until you determine the cause and apply the appropriate fix. We don't want to lose you!

Dale53

Big Second! Maybe you only got a little tingle - but that depends on how well you're grounded at the moment you touch it - as in what you're touching or standing on. (Or in.) Under the wrong circumstances you may get a he77 of a nasty shock. Don't use it - get it fixed or replace it. There shouldn't be potential on the outside of the pot - so something's shorting inside. The 3 prong or polarized (whichever) plug should insure that the pot exterior is grounded and cause your fuse to blow or circuit breaker to trip from an internal short - so maybe something's wrong with the way your electrical outlet is wired as well.

Uncle R.

targetshootr
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't use it till it's fixed. Maybe for the heck of it, plug it in to a GFI outlet which has a reset button. Most likely it'll trip off. I hate that feeling but it's part of the job and over the years it gave me cat-like reflexes.

MK111
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
New lead pots are cheap in price when compared to funerals cost. Don't use it it's worn out.

Jim
08-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Lee pots don't have the third grounding conductor. If my memory serves me correctly, if you take it apart, Lee won't honor the warranty. If it's important to you, pack it up and send it back to lee AS IS! They're always making noise about the quality of their products, so hand 'em the fiddle and let 'em play it!

EMC45
08-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Or you could hit it with a hammer a few times.:-D Just kidding man! I think somethings touching in there. Just have a look and be careful.

waksupi
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Take it apart, and look it over. At the most, you may have to replace the rheostat.

454PB
08-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I bet Lee would fall all over themselves to fix this....what a potential liability!

Yes, don't use it until it's fixed. The Lee pots are ungrounded, and I don't know why....they should be grounded.

I've had all three of mine apart at some point, and they are pretty simple. If you're not comfortable trying to trouble shoot and fix it, send it to Lee.

fatnhappy
08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
$60 for a new one is cheap life insurance.

mtgrs737
08-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Go ahead and upgrade to the larger lee 20lb. pot. they are cheap enough at around fifty dollars. That's what I did, and mine didn't even have to shock me first.

VTDW
08-25-2007, 07:26 AM
"Cat-like reflexes." Now that's funny right there.:drinks:

EKO
08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Your element is shorting, had the same thing happen to mine when it was just two weeks old. Fairly basic to change out at home. They are about 10$.

yammerschooner
08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I had to set my arm on it 3 times to MAKE SURE that I was getting shocked by it. Then I had to do it with my OTHER arm, just to be CERTAIN it was shocking me. :)

After reading through all of the replies I am still chuckling about this. I did a similar thing when I picked up a shock collar for my dog.

redbear705
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Sorry that this is off topic but [B][/yammerschoonerB] just what is it that you are doing to that pigs nose??

Handy.......

Send the pot back to Lee as the coil is probably burned out or cracked and shorting to ground through the exterior of the pot.

Dont use it!!!!! GIT"R"DONE by Lee!

JR

redbear705
08-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Sorry for the double post! JR

yammerschooner
08-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Sorry that this is off topic but yammerschooner just what is it that you are doing to that pigs nose??

It showed up in photos from when I was prepping a competition pig for Memphis in May 2005. I don't remember picking the pig's nose, but found the picture entertaining. Thus, an avatar was born.

2005 was a good year for MIM, and the last one I was there. The team I was on won People's Choice, although we did it with butts, and not the whole hog.

Besides, who wants to eat a pig with a boogie hanging out?:mrgreen:

handyrandyrc
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I did take it apart, and the coil is completely corroded and falling apart/flaking? I've never seen anything like it. I live in a dry (relatively dry Utah) climate, so I'm surprised, as nothing corrodes like this around here. I've literally had this pot just about a year.

It's such a cheap pot, I'll just upgrade to a newer one. Thanks for all the ideas on it. I may send it back to Lee, but again, I've taken it apart. Don't know how they'd ever find out I disassembled it, but anyhow...

yammerschooner
08-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I would give them a call and see if they will help you out. Tell them you took it apart and what you found. Worst case scenario, they will tell you thanks for the info and have a nice day.

They replaced a mold that I dropped and screwed up a cavity. This is after I told them exactly what happened, and claimed credit for my ham-handedness.

I have a hard time believing there is a reloading manufacturer out there with sub-standard customer service. At least, going above and beyond appears to be the norm with most.

454PB
08-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I did take it apart, and the coil is completely corroded and falling apart/flaking? I've never seen anything like it. I live in a dry (relatively dry Utah) climate, so I'm surprised, as nothing corrodes like this around here. I've literally had this pot just about a year.

It's such a cheap pot, I'll just upgrade to a newer one. Thanks for all the ideas on it. I may send it back to Lee, but again, I've taken it apart. Don't know how they'd ever find out I disassembled it, but anyhow...

There's something going on out of the usual here. I have a Lee pot that is over 30 years old, and there is no corrosion of the element. Electric heating elements do get a coating of scale over time, but they should not fall apart.

Please keep us posted on what Lee says and does if you send it back. This is definitely a warranty issue and they should fix it. In fact, I'll bet they would send you a new one if you sent them a picture of the damage and the fact that it's only 1 year old.

TAWILDCATT
08-28-2007, 10:26 AM
send it to LEE!!!thos who can do mecanical work can fix their own, however the coil is cheap and LEE can fix it best.having said that why not get a Lee pro 4-20.if this pot is only 5 lb are you only making a few bullets.if your making many you are over loading the small pot.midsouthshooters has the bigger pot for $61.[the small pot $27. LEE garentees the small pot for two yrs.when all else fails read the guarantee.send it back!!!!
---------:coffee: --------:Fire: --------:coffee: