PDA

View Full Version : Building a Matchlock Lock

missionary5155
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Good morning
Thought I would start a thread about my progress building this matchlock lock. Included is the photo from my origonal post of the intended design (inside view) plus now the exterior view. Bottom lock is my choice.
65651 65652

Step one was to make usable paper tracings of these photos to use as basic patterns.
Step two dig out my scap steel bag for "candidates" to become usable parts.

The angle iron will be the lever trigger. The pointed piece is from an old shovel and will be the lever trigger return spring. The flat steel will be the plate everything attaches to. The rod will be the lever extension that protrudes through the bottom of the stock and is the actual part the shooter "squeezes" to fire the load.
Cutting the basic shapes is next and I will add more photos.
Mike in Peru

Hanshi
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Yours is a very interesting project. Good luck.

missionary5155
03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Good morning
Had a few hours here and there to do a little work making some rough parts.

The lever rod is threaded 1/4 - 28.
The shovel piece is rough cut for the return spring (needs shaped then hardened).
The angle iron is rough cut with the two needed right angle extentions (which need shaped and threaded).
The little connector lever is rough cut from the angle iron remains (needs holes finished).

Next will be the match cord holder (the cock).
Then the "pivot pin" for the cock.
Then start drilling the plate.
Mike in Peru

missionary5155
04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Greetings
Still chugging along with this. Hour here and there but it slowly is advancing. Biggest issues are trying to figure out the best order of advance.

Filed the match holder to final form. Split and formed upper end to hold match. Drilled and tapped the "split" so it can grip well. You do want the lighted match well attached to the holder.
Drilled and tapped the match holder 1/4 -28 down on the lower hub. Cut and threaded the match holder shaft 1/4-28 and attached to match holder. Cut off excess threads and staked end. Drilled plate for the 1/4" shaft then lapped the shaft to the hole. That is what the left picture shows from the exterior.

The right photo shows the rough layout of the parts. Next I will square the holder shaft end. The small lever will then be drilled and the corners cut to attach to the match shaft. Following that the trigger lever will need extensive attention to fit the end into the small lever and that also will get tweeked. Then figure out the exact mounting hole location for the trigger lever.
Still much to do but this is a fun build. 1538 this valley was being attacked by Spanish treasure hunters using very similar locks on thier match locks.
Mike in Peru

geargnasher
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Neat project!

Gear

missionary5155
04-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Good afternoon
Getting near complete the matchlock lock. What I have now is opperational although in "rough form".

Left photo is the lock with trigger arm attached as it would be on a complete firearm with flax cord attached to arm. Center photo is the closeup. Discovered the metal for the return spring would not harden so added two layers of old hack saw blade. Those old blades may be enough as the trigger arm adds alot of weight and near returns the linkage and arm to the "rest position".
Third photo is the lock in firing position.
Have to yet make the flash pan and cover which will attach to the stock. Also need to put turn heads on the "safety screw" (located just above the trigger arm in rest position) and the "match arm screw" which tightens the gap on the match arm so the burning cord does not slip about.
This is an enjoyable project and a great way to use up some bits and pieces of steel.
Mike in Peru
Time to start hunting a slab of wood.