PDA

View Full Version : Wadding??

mikeym1a
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, I've cast a bunch of boolits with my new mold for my '09 Argentine Mauser. Good mold, throws them right at .312. Looking in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook, they recommend about 14grs, max, of Unique, giving a MV of around 1700fps with a 160gr boolit. In spite of seeming light, I'll follow that lead. My question is, this case is supposed to be loaded with +/- 39gr of 4895 with a J boolit. Won't 15grs of Unique be kinda spread out in there? Would it be advisable to use a paper tissue wad over the powder charge to keep it up next to the primer? Thanks for any advise.

Jim
03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Read the notes. Where REQUIRED, the notes will show the use of a bit of dacron as a locator. If it is not suggested, it is not needed. Stuffing TP in the case could result in dangerously high pressures as it does not flow.

"When all else fails, follow the instructions."

mikeym1a
03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Read the notes. Where REQUIRED, the notes will show the use of a bit of dacron as a locator. If it is not suggested, it is not needed. Stuffing TP in the case could result in dangerously high pressures as it does not flow.

"When all else fails, follow the instructions."
Must have missed that, obviously. Used to be an upholsterer, and used dacron as a cushion filler. Packed real good, but, never thought about it 'flowing'. Thanks for the correction.

Jim
03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Must have missed that, obviously. Used to be an upholsterer, and used dacron as a cushion filler. Packed real good, but, never thought about it 'flowing'. Thanks for the correction.

Nope, not a correction, just a response to a request. That's good, shows you're thinkin'. We'd much rather you ask "What will happen?" than "Why DID it happen?" Know what ah' mean, Vern?:bigsmyl2:

You're doin' good, keep at it. Read all you can and think it through. 'Plan your work and work your plan'.

Baja_Traveler
03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
So, I've always wondered if the same tuft from a cotton ball would work as well as dacron without pressure problems. Or does cotton tend to pack too good?

Bullshop
03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Not that it might matter to anyone accept me but for 20 or more years I have been using packing popcorn as a filler. I used dacron before that but I like the PP better.

**oneshot**
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

375RUGER
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
there is a sticky, here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?45-CB-Loads-Your-Favorite-Cartridge
on the proper use of fillers.
I point it out because you mentioned how well dacron packs, you don't want to do that.

mikeym1a
03-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks, Everyone for the advice. The sticky was especially helpful. I am still puzzled by the Lyman Manual's load data for the Argentine Cartridge. The 7.65x53 case is approximately the same size as the .308, but, Lyman limits the loads to around 14-15grs of Reddot, Herco, Unique, and others. Of course, they were using a '91 Mauser as the test bed, and apparently wanted to keep the pressures down for the old gun. Mine is a Model 1909, a '98 action. Anyway, 15grs of Unique is not much for that case, lots of empty space. That's why I asked about the wadding. IN THE MEANTIME, I slugged the bore of my 1909, and find it is as advertised. .303/.313, so my .312 cast slugs are too small, unless I paper patch them. My mold throws two different size slugs, .312 & .317. Guess I'll have to use the .317. Now to get a sizer in that number. Guess I need to slug the project barrel as well to see if those .317 slugs will work for that, it's an 8.15x46. They may be too small for it. The more I learn, the more I see that I need to learn. (and I one of those kids who wants to do it NOW!) thanks, Guys.

gwpercle
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Mikeym1a,
Get yourself a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the new 4 th Edition, it shows loads that fill the case more with powders like 2400, SR-4759, IMR-4227, 5744 , IMR-4198, N133 and RX7. These are slower powders thus you can use a bit more to help fill the case. Fillers are not allways necessary, powders like Red Dot are not position sensitive. I try not to use them cause its a Pain in the rear to get the right amount precisely in place. I shoot at the range and just tip the barrel up a little before firing to place the powder towards the primer. I would rather do this than fiddle with dacron , toilet paper and what have you.
None of the cast boolit loads in the 4th edition, for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser, call for the use of a filler so I
would not use one. They do say to slug your bore as dimensions do vary.
And slow down, reloading has a bit of a learning curve to it and the reloading Gods do not treat the foolish kindly. Use published data and don't try second guessing powder charges and burning rates. Reload safe .
Gary
By the way, what boolit mould are you casting with and at what diameters do they drop ?

mikeym1a
03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Mikeym1a,
They do say to slug your bore as dimensions do vary.
And slow down, reloading has a bit of a learning curve to it and the reloading Gods do not treat the foolish kindly. Use published data and don't try second guessing powder charges and burning rates. Reload safe .
Gary
By the way, what boolit mould are you casting with and at what diameters do they drop ?

I using the Lee mould for the 7.62x39, CTL312-160-2R. That was the closest I could come to the .313 of the Argentine. It almost does. One cavity throws a .312/313, and the other throws .316/.317. From what I've been reading, you want a couple thou over for a good fit. Just trying to figure out what I need next. Spring is around the corner, and I'm getting antsy. Guess it's that time of year....

Jack Stanley
03-27-2013, 09:49 PM
I found that generally whatever size bullet will just slip fit into a fired case is a good starting point for bullet size .

Jack

303Guy
03-28-2013, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't consider toilet paper but Dacron I would suggest. I would not go over the recommended max load for Unique. The max load is for a good reason, probably because pressure tends to spike at higher loadings. Or maybe because lead upsets with higher loadings causing other issues. Like bumping up the boolit in the neck, raising pressures and maybe even doing other unexpected things.

Like this.

OK, there is more to this one but it does show worst case scenarios.

gwpercle
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I would cast up a few of the .316/.317 dia. boolits , lube them , and try a mid-range load with them unsized. If that doesn't work it's time to get a sizer and size them to .314/.315 and try them. This is why you usually wind up with a bunch of different sizer dies...trial and error, you never know precisely how a particular rifle will respond till you shoot it.
Gary

MtGun44
03-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Unique needs no filler, it is extremely position insensitive.

Bill

mikeym1a
03-30-2013, 12:09 AM

Bill
Ah, the answer I was looking for. I'll go ahead and give it a try, and let you guys know. Thanks for all the advise.

303Guy
03-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Bill

This is true - it needs no filler but many say a positioner like Dacron improves accuracy. I always use a positioner of fibrous filler. There is a good reason for using Dacron and that is to prevent powder spillage should a case become de-bulleted like when de-chambering an unfired round. That can easily happen to me because I don't load with any neck tension.

mikeym1a
03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
I would cast up a few of the .316/.317 dia. boolits , lube them , and try a mid-range load with them unsized. If that doesn't work it's time to get a sizer and size them to .314/.315 and try them. This is why you usually wind up with a bunch of different sizer dies...trial and error, you never know precisely how a particular rifle will respond till you shoot it.
Gary
Well, I continue to read and learn. I've always had a problem with the new cast sticking in my Lee molds, and just lived with it, since I didn't know how to fix it. In another post on this site, one guy talked about lapping the mold cavities and how it might cause better boolit release. Another chimed in and said it actually opened his up a thou. SO, I gave it a try. My Lee mold had a chamber that threw .312 boolits, and the other threw .315s. By patient lapping (boy, was that an effort!) I got the front cavity opened up and it now throws .314 boolits. The back cavity now throws .319 boolits. (guess I went a little long on it.) SO, now to get sizers. One step at a time. While I was in the front yard doing this, I could hear the rattle of guns a ways down the hollow. Wonder where they are? Wonder if they want company? Would be nice not to have to go 20 miles to get to a range.

303Guy
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I bought a .311 Lee mold once thinking it was right for the 303. I might try that lapping trick so I can actually use the thing. I though 180grs was a bit light for cast but what the heck - close enough.

mikeym1a
03-31-2013, 04:49 AM
I bought a .311 Lee mold once thinking it was right for the 303. I might try that lapping trick so I can actually use the thing. I though 180grs was a bit light for cast but what the heck - close enough.

Hmmm. That brings another 'how come?' question to mind. Why do the lead boolits have to be long and heavy? Something more to try and find out. Loaded my first box of cartridges for the Argentine. Now for the GEW88 that's been sitting in the corner for so long.

303Guy
03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Two things in my mind; the long, bore riding nose section aligns the boolit and the heavy weight raises chamber pressure to allow for a slower powder to attain the allowable low velocity of cast and still give the boolit decent power by virtue of its weight - substituting weight for speed.

Our rifles are basically the same with yours being the Mauser version of the 303 Brit. That's useful because load data for yours is a bit scarce so you can look across at 303 Brit data. The 308 does have the same case capacity when measured to the base of the neck but 308 data is typically higher intensity than the Brit so it can't be used as a reference for full power loads unless you are specifically wanting to load to 308 pressures. I suspect that's not a good idea for the Argentinian Mauser - I don't know.