PDA

View Full Version : Cold Spring Break

chsparkman
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Yesterday, on my first day of Spring Break, it snowed here in Northern Virginia. I was hoping to get to the range everyday this week but had to wait until today.

Started the day by driving down to Green Top in Ashland to see what they had in stock. No powder, no primers, no 22LR. Their gun inventory was very good though. Went over to Outdoor World and was surprised to see some 22LR on hand. Limit two boxes. I got two boxes of Fed. Champion (325 for $18) and then saw a good supply of Stingers. Thought I'd get a couple of boxes of those too, but nothing doing; limit of two boxes per caliber. Oh well...next time. Still no powder.

From there I came back to NoVA and went to the range and tested some new loads in .223. They seemed promising; no key-holing and no leading...now to work up a good load. Same with the 9mm. Also brought out my new (to me) .41 mag Bisley. It shot terrific. Used Saeco 220GC over 15.4 gr. 2400. Stout but not overpowering and very accurate. Next came the new .44 special Ruger Flattop Bisley. 240 LSWC over 6.7 Universal Clays. Very mild load but it took a while to get it on paper. It started out shooting way too low so had to adjust it quite a bit. It got better but still not very accurate. The short 4.75" barrel might be part of the cause, that and I forgot my aperture sticker for my glasses. (Wish I could see as well as 15 years ago.)

Three days left in the week and still more shooting to do.

Swamp Man
03-27-2013, 05:08 AM
OH NO! You seen Stingers then couldn't buy them,man that had to sting. I've past up 22lr a few times lately because they weren't what I wanted. I have a Winchester 74 that loves Stingers and my Savage 24 likes them pretty well also.

chsparkman
03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
I really like those Savage 24's. My brother-in-law has been a fan of combo guns for a long time (in fact he picked up a very nice Valmet in 30-06/12 gauge a couple of weeks ago). I've been looking on Gunbroker and it seems the starting price is around $400. Need to read up and make sure I get a good one when I go for it.

rockrat
03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
People were buying Stingers at our local gun show, this past weekend, for $100/brick, and happy to get them.

Bad Water Bill
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
It is ---- when you get old and remember when you bought a brick for 2-3 bucks and look at that $100. price.

On the other hand when that brick was cheap I was earning .65 per hour.

Swamp Man
03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I really like those Savage 24's. My brother-in-law has been a fan of combo guns for a long time (in fact he picked up a very nice Valmet in 30-06/12 gauge a couple of weeks ago). I've been looking on Gunbroker and it seems the starting price is around $400. Need to read up and make sure I get a good one when I go for it.
The Savage 24's are worth the money if you can find one in good shape. Savage just brought back the combo gun it's a remake of the 24 they are called model 42 now there not a pretty gun IMO. But they are a Savage combo none the less which should make them a great little tool. They don't look anything like the old 24's but I think one of them will still find a home in my gun safe before to much longer. I'm waiting to get a look at one but they seem to be a hot item right now and I've yet to see one in a shop.

Swamp Man
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
People were buying Stingers at our local gun show, this past weekend, for $100/brick, and happy to get them.

That's crazy. I'm glad I bought a few bricks of them before this madness started.

chsparkman
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
The Savage 24's are worth the money if you can find one in good shape. Savage just brought back the combo gun it's a remake of the 24 they are called model 42 now there not a pretty gun IMO. But they are a Savage combo none the less which should make them a great little tool. They don't look anything like the old 24's but I think one of them will still find a home in my gun safe before to much longer. I'm waiting to get a look at one but they seem to be a hot item right now and I've yet to see one in a shop.

My local gun store has a 42 in stock, but I agree with you that they are not as nice-looking as the older 24's. My brother-in-law points out that the 42 does not break down like the 24. He has convinced me that I want an older one.

Swamp Man
03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
My local gun store has a 42 in stock, but I agree with you that they are not as nice-looking as the older 24's. My brother-in-law points out that the 42 does not break down like the 24. He has convinced me that I want an older one. No the new 42's don't break down like the old 24's but I've already been thinking about a fix for that issue. I was thinking about replacing the bolt with a two piece shaft that could be remove without any tools. I just have to wait until I get a good look at one before I'll know if it could be done that way or not.