PDA

View Full Version : ebay $ rate is what?

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Is there anyone here that sells on ebay regulerly? I am trying to sell something there and having some trouble jumping through their hoops. Maybe I am making a big mistake because what I am trying to sell is gun related.
Anyway problem #1
They are telling me as a new seller I cant list an item for over $5'000.00
Problem #2
The item I have I want to start at $7'000.00 but the 2.9% cut they get is too high.
I see there is a $250.00 top that they get in loue of the 2.9% and I am OK with that. The problem is that a buyer can only pay via paypal and they will get another 3% cut.
I see no top for the paypal thingy but with both fees it is cutting kinda deep into my share.
Am I doing something wrong or missing something or is it just too bad thats the way it is?

Love Life
03-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Have you considered Gunbroker? What about having the buyer pay the fee.

Alvarez Kelly
03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I sell things on eBay once in a while. A lot lately... EBay gets 9% and it's going to 10% on April 15th. And yes, PayPal gets 3% PLUS 30 cents for every transaction. They can really pick your pocket.

You HAVE to have PayPal to sell on EBay, but I have seen sellers who post "NO PayPal" on their auctions. You take your chances with that though. I once had a guy bid over $1000 for a $25 item. It seems he AND another bidder forget the decimal point. Of course the customer wasn't going to pay, but Ebay still billed me for their 9%! It took weeks to sort out. But it finally got worked out.

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I have been hearing from folks here about the insane prices things are bringing on ebay so thought to sell there. Of course I want the most I can get but wonder if its worth it. Maybe because its gun related there would be problems.
I dont know what I am going to do with it now. I do have lots of experiance with Gun Broker though. What I have is a bunch of swaging stuff in 22, 24, and 30 cal and I know the demand is high right now.
I priced it out at the D Corbin site at 13 to 14 K so I think starting an auction at about half of new is a fair deal but I just dont think its fair to have to pay at both ends. If they allowed the buyer to pay by MO or personal check I would have no problem. Its just that to me its very close to them (ebay) lying about their rates.

nouseforaname1246
03-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Anything gun related I just sell on armslist. No fees.

historicfirearms
03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I quit selling on ebay because their fees are too high. They also have way too many "rules" that seem to pop up, kind of like Nazi auction. Gunbroker is better, but they have high fees too.

nouseforaname1246
03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Althoug bullet mouls are going for ridiculous prices on ebay. I just sold an old lyman single cavity for $125 without handles.

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Anything gun related I just sell on armslist. No fees.
What is the traffic like at armslist? If there is no volume of traffic it wont be viewed by enough people that would be interested in bidding.

bob208
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
13 per cent does not sound bad. when you find out a real auctioneer starts at 20 and goes up. with ebay you have a lot more bidders.

Doc65
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Don't forget that now they also want a cut on the cost of shipping!!!

ph4570
03-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Also for new ebay accounts paypay freezes your proceeds for up to 21 days. My son just found this out with his new account. Timeframe may be reduced with delivery confirm and no buyer complaints.

Alvarez Kelly
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Large ticket items often are sold using PayPal for only the deposit. The balance is paid on delivery, or by Bank Check after inspection...

jcwit
03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Also for new ebay accounts paypay freezes your proceeds for up to 21 days. My son just found this out with his new account. Timeframe may be reduced with delivery confirm and no buyer complaints.

Suppose this is to protect the buyer from the rascals that don't ship sold and paid for items? Spose?:!:

NEH, that wouldn't be it.

ph4570
03-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Suppose this is to protect the buyer from the rascals that don't ship sold and paid for items? Spose?:!:

NEH, that wouldn't be it.

That is the theory. However what do you suppose the cumulative float to them on all that frozen jack is? Maybe other lightly veiled motives? Ya spose?

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I think I wana just go back under my rock but I cant because I have to sell it.
I have received some good advice in PM. I just have to do some calculizing and try to jump start some seldom use brain cells.

jcwit
03-26-2013, 07:54 PM
That is the theory. However what do you suppose the cumulative float to them on all that frozen jack is? Maybe other lightly veiled motives? Ya spose?

Well I admit, I'd be collecting interest on all those funds being held. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.

ph4570
03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Well I admit, I'd be collecting interest on all those funds being held. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.

We see things differently. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same;)

jcwit
03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
We see things differently. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same;)

Well My brother ran a shipping auditing firm using this as his only means of making a profit. He did very well BTW.

This is worse than those buying up ammo at retail and then playing "I'm a dealer" and gouging their fellow sportsman?

Don't know your feelings on this but, I see nothing wrong with making interest on monies held. Its done all the time.

RickinTN
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
In Tennessee funds held by an auctioneer (auction firm) must be held in an escrow account which is non-interest bearing. Most states auction law of which I'm familiar are like this. The auction firm cannot profit from holding others funds. California is a very liberal state as far as auction law is concerned and this is one of the reasons E-bay is homed in California.

garym1a2
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Keep in mind 13% on top of an insane price still gets you a good profit.
my lee 6up bator mold went for $192. Even with a markup I did well. Also on ebay if you do not have a track history you may not get top dollar.
Try an ebay reseller, some of those will get top dollar. Also break up the items. Having a bult auction will not get top dollar as people mostly want 223 and 9mm stuff. The odd calibers will not get a good price from one only intestested in .223 or 30cal.

Doc65
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
The problem I have with them making money on funds held is that THEY are the ones deciding that they can hold your funds, and for how long, so in effect they are holding your money for ransom, and the ransom is the interest that they are getting paid. Think of it this way, if they released your funds to you then you would be the one making the interest on those funds, so in essence by their deciding that they will hold your money until they get the interest out of it, they are stealing that amount from the person that it rightly belongs to. Now if they were paying the person that actually owns the funds the going interest rate and taking the premium for their having LARGE deposits then I wouldn't have quite such a problem with it.

garym1a2
03-26-2013, 08:21 PM
List it here first. Just ask your price.

chambers
03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I saw on ebay there was some swaging stuff for a couple of $K, you may want to do some research and sell in smaller lots as I think it will bring more. You could just list you price and list in selling and swapping here and put in two or three groups to sell and see if you sell, nothing lost and no fees. Any reloading equipment is bringing a premium.

300winmag
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
If you are a new seller, or have a old account that has not seen any activity for awhile ebay- paypal will hold your money, but they will take what you owe them. If you are new don't plan on getting your money quick. It was 21 days from the time it sold not the time it was listed.
Read the fine print is all I can say!

jcwit
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Ah Well, it is the free market system!

Gee_Wizz01
03-26-2013, 08:53 PM
I have a friend that runs a business and sells a lot of antiques and musical instruments on ebay and he is complaining about the fees keep going up. He also runs into a lot of unscroupulous buyers who buy an item and then complains to ebay and paypal. Pay Pal will actually remove the money from your bank account after the sales! If a buyer complains about an item, ebay usually sides with the buyer. That being said I have been blessed dealing with ebay, out of a couple of hundred transactions, I only had one bad experience and ebay returned my money.

G

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a friend that runs a business and sells a lot of antiques and musical instruments on ebay and he is complaining about the fees keep going up. He also runs into a lot of unscroupulous buyers who buy an item and then complains to ebay and paypal. Pay Pal will actually remove the money from your bank account after the sales! If a buyer complains about an item, ebay usually sides with the buyer. That being said I have been blessed dealing with ebay, out of a couple of hundred transactions, I only had one bad experience and ebay returned my money.

G
OK THATS IT!!! You have officially scared me off ebay.
I think I will list it here tomorrow for a set price. If in two weeks its not sold I will move it to Gunbroker.
Against all advice I will list it as one lot. If I sell in parts and all parts dont sell the remaining parts are of no use to me. Either I keep it all and use it or I sell it all.

dragon813gt
03-26-2013, 09:25 PM
PayPal does not remove the money from your bank account. They remove it from your PayPal account. They basically freeze the money until the claim is worked out. PayPal does not have the rights to take money from a bank account without your authorization.

Gee_Wizz01
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
PayPal does not remove the money from your bank account. They remove it from your PayPal account. They basically freeze the money until the claim is worked out. PayPal does not have the rights to take money from a bank account without your authorization.

If you have a "linked" account or a "secured" account they can. Read your legal agreement. They may have stopped the practice now, but when I did a lot of business on ebay they required a bank account to be linked to ensure you did not overdraft your paypal account during purchases. It was still in their agreement about 3 years ago. A number of people complained on various forums and I pulled out my legal agreement and sure enough it was in there. I have not renewed my account so I don't know if its still in effect; but I would sure read the agreement.

G

tomme boy
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
It's still there.

The reason they are charging for shipping now, is because people were selling stuff in a buy it now type auction for like $10. Then they would charge 40,60, 100 or whatever they really wanted for an item. So they paid a fee on the $10 not on the shipping that was actually the real price. This was going on a lot and they got caught.

jcwit
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Same old deal, folks trying to work around or breaking the system/rules brings it down on everybody. Keeps the jerks from running everything.

Taylor
03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Not to high jack,but a long the same lines.What if a seller has a wiget for $45 BIN,and the bid is only $30,does it go for the $30? With no mention of a reserve.

Gee_Wizz01
03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Not to high jack,but a long the same lines.What if a seller has a wiget for $45 BIN,and the bid is only $30,does it go for the $30? With no mention of a reserve.

The short answe is yes. Thede are several caveats. If the item is a traditional item with a BIN the answer is yes. If it is BIN only the answer is no. If it is aBIN with a "Make An Offer" the answer is maybe.

G

Bullshop
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Since I couldnt sleep last night I thought it over and decided not to sell this swaging equipment at all. I priced it out at the Corbin site at between 13 and 14 K and was going to start it at 7K on auction.
Since there are included 17K 30 cal jackets and 9K 22 cal jackets I decided to just set up the 4 presses and make bullets. 26 K jacketed bullets at and average of $20.00 per K is over 5K$ and I would still have the equipment. Thanks for all the help. I wouldnt have come to that conclusion on my own.

garym1a2
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
I would buy some 22's from you if profile is good for AR's.
going rate for decent bullets is a bit higher than $20 per K.

Since I couldnt sleep last night I thought it over and decided not to sell this swaging equipment at all. I priced it out at the Corbin site at between 13 and 14 K and was going to start it at 7K on auction.
Since there are included 17K 30 cal jackets and 9K 22 cal jackets I decided to just set up the 4 presses and make bullets. 26 K jacketed bullets at and average of $20.00 per K is over 5K$ and I would still have the equipment. Thanks for all the help. I wouldnt have come to that conclusion on my own.

Bullshop
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I was figuring $20.00 as an average price for both calibers 22 and 30 so I could get and idea of about what I might recoup on just selling the bullets and keeping the equipment. Ya know I dont really have a clue what bullets cost. Its been a looooong time.

novalty
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I am no fan of selling on FEEbay. Got my little notice not too long ago that they were raising it from 9% to 10%, and that includes the shipping cost as well, and with their monopoly with Paypal, you are you looking at them taking around 14-15%.

ph4570
03-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Not to be picky but 26k bullets at an average of $20/k is not close to $5K. You are off by a decimal point. That may change your thinking on the matter. On the other hand you can get much more than $20/k for any sort of bullets. Maybe you meant $20 for a hundred bullets. That math works but that price would be high.

Bullshop
03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
oops I ment $20.00 per 100 via the shortage driven prices.

2HighSpeed
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
eBay is insane. I just sold off some of my Scentsy stock (flame less candle wax),
And they charged me a redicolous amount. I'd have been better posting it in one of my Facebook forums and not had to deal with eBay fees.

dragon813gt
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
So I guess even though I do tens of thousands of dollars with PayPal per month I'm not trustworthy as an eBay seller. They're holding funds from me. I did read about it in one of the threads on this forum. But didn't think I had to worry about it. I'm tempted to refund the money and deal with the negative feedback because I rarely use the site. Anyone know if you can respond to negative feedback from a buyer?

Bullshop
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Reguardless of the astrimomicle prices I uear of folks getting I chose to heed the advice and not sell there.
Looks like it was good advice.

uscra112
04-03-2013, 10:37 PM
So I guess even though I do tens of thousands of dollars with PayPal per month I'm not trustworthy as an eBay seller. They're holding funds from me. I did read about it in one of the threads on this forum. But didn't think I had to worry about it. I'm tempted to refund the money and deal with the negative feedback because I rarely use the site. Anyone know if you can respond to negative feedback from a buyer?

Nope. Another reason I quit selling - a seller cannot give a buyer negative feedback, no matter how egregious the buyer's behaviour.

Plate plinker
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
EVIL-Bay I'm over you. Was great years ago but alas it's now just trash.

Eljay
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM
It's amazing how eBay ran that company into the ground.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in on an earlier point - PayPal definitely feels free to suck money out of your bank account. Basically if you get some money, and transfer it out right away, it doesn't help. If there's a dispute they'll transfer it right on back. They can't pull more than they originally sent but they'll definitely reverse it without asking first.