PDA

View Full Version : searching for a no-smoke lube

jmorris
08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi there, new to the board but have been casting for a few years now. Up to this point I’ve been using a homemade sizer and dip lubing the bullets. I am using the bullets for IDPA matches and the smoke is not conducive to good scores. Does any one have a “magic” formula to lube bullets so they don’t smoke? (230gr .45 at about 750fps)
Thanks
jm

felix
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
They all smoke! If you want a lube that emits mostly steam and little to no carbon black, then you want a lube made out of some high-level alcohol or some greasy synthetic that emulates the same properties when fired. ... felix

9.3X62AL
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Welcome aboard, sir. Home made sizer? You'll fit right in.

Bass Ackward
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome JM,

And Felix is right. Every lube smokes, especially right at the point that it breaks down.

But if for some reason, you are deficient of lube, say because your slugs are too small or too hard and you blow enough off before they slug up and seal, then you will get the same smoke even with the finest of lubes.

So there are other posibilities too.

gray wolf
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Could you elaborate for the dummies what you mean by blowing off the lube ?.
and slugging up?. Also if the lube blows off Ware does it go? and what are the things to look for if this is happening.

thank's

Oh ! and does this go for autos or just revolers

cohutt
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
and slugging up?. Also if the lube blows off Ware does it go? and what are the things to look for if this is happening.

thank's

I'll take a stab

Blowing off the lube=
bullet not big enough or else is too hard to properly seal the bore ("obturate" ob-something anyway), hot gasses leak around bullet melting/burning lube off creating smoke. prollly leading barrel too. Slugging up = bullet expand and seal bore

seems possible for both auto and wheelguns, same principle.

mstarling
08-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Back to the basic question ... is there a lube that minimizes smoke?

Best I've found is Carnauba Red ... generates a lot less smoke that NRA 50:50 Alox/Beeswax. Should be pretty good for IPSC or IDPA practice in comparison to the other things I've tried.

Petander
08-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Felix lube doesn´t really smoke at all with my 201 SWC RCBS 45 ACP boolit - when I use soft alloy and slow powder. No leading to talk about either, I´ve been a happy camper with this boolit and lube. N340 as the propellant smokes more than the lube.

A harder boolit ( H&G 130 , I made a batch quite hard years ago) with more lube and faster powder gives me some smoke - and some leading. Velocities identical, just to reach major PF with a Combat Commander.

You might want to cook your own Felix and see? It´s easy and fun.

( Do NOT add ATF in your pistol lube, that will guarantee smoke... I have a batch of 9 mm rounds that used my own "test lube with ATF" from years ago by accident... man, we can really talk about smoke here. )

stubert
08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been using Lyman orange lube lately, I got a bunch of it at a garage sale cheap. It needs to be heated to flow, I'm shooting a 45-70, 35 marlin, 44 mag. and a 458 lott with it. No leading no smoke. Retail is about $4.00 a stick

jmorris
08-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the responses. That will give me a few different lubes to try. So the next question is, if I buy a regular lube sizer how hard is it going to be to change out from one lube to another? Is there a chart somewhere that will show me what top punch I need for a 230gr .45 RN? Thanks again.

Newtire
08-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I found the same thing with my homemade Felix-Lube as far as the smoking thing. I don't remember any smoking that is. It doesn't smoke like Lee Liquid Alox does for sure! The Lee Liquid Alox smokes like the rifles in the old cowboy films. I'm surprised some enterprising cowboy action shooter hasn't tried to market it as a balck powder simulator.

dromia
08-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Ditto White Label Carnauba Red as a low smoke lube.

Generally I find more Alox in a lube, more smoke.

ReAX222
08-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I was recommend BAC from this company http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

I haven't received it yet, so I don't know how it smokes. Bigslick may have more info on that.

dromia
08-27-2007, 03:11 AM
BAC is from the White Label company.

It is a mix of their Carnauba Red and their 50-50 Beeswax-Alox lube.

From the White Label advertising.

"BAC:
This lube is a mix of my Carnauba Red and 50-50, light red in color.
Some of my customers started mixing it this way at home to get a lube with performance similar to Carnauba Red, but shouldn't need a heater unless you're in a cold room. Slightly softer than the 2500+ lube. "

I haven't tried that one yet, have some sticks on hand, but it should smoke less than the Alox heavy lubes and the Carnauba will leave the barrel nice and shiny.

I've tried all Glenn Larsens lubes now save the BAC and can highly recommend them.

Bass Ackward
08-27-2007, 06:36 AM

thank's

GW,

Sorry, I missed this.

Cohutt nailed it for you. The poorer bullet fit is in a gun, the more critical it upset or obturate to seal. The harder a bullet is at low pressures, the longer a seal takes to occur. Happens in rifles too, but higher pressures can obturate harder bullets and farther distances, so it is less often a problem there.

Failure to seal can be seen on recovered bullets as gashes up the side of the bullet that may look like lightening in the sky. It can be seen over a chronograph as lower than expected velocity. It can be seen on a target as a larger than need be group. Or it can be seen as leading in the bore if it takes too long. Or smoke .... which is the first sign of developing issues.

Mr Morris is dipping. Some lubes change chemical composition when heated a few times. He may find that is his current problem with his lube or a follow on with what ever lube he purchases. Casters never discard anything :grin: and everything has a life span.

Another thing he might try is some guys dip with Johnson's Paste Wax.

LowPE
08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I too shoot IDPA, and the smoke is bad for scores. I have tested many, and at times it can drive you nuts.

The identical same load can smoke in one 1911 badly, and in another very low smoke. My guess, is bullet fit and barrel length become important.

I have been using Orange Magic (lyman, midway puts it on sale all the time). Other casters that I shoot with use Linseed oil (just like lee alox), they get leading and simply live with it and after a match fire a half dozen jacketed bullets to clear the lead out.

Lubes I have tried are Blue Angel, Saeco Gold, Saeco Green, Lee Alox, no lube (oh, the horror!), Orange Magic, Lyman Super Moly. I have several more brands to try out in the near future....Orange magic still smokes, so it is not the answer.

I would like to figure out a way to put on a reduced amount of lube.

Make sure your bullet bases are clean, that helps some.

08-28-2007, 10:08 AM
i have used 6-8 different lubs. low smoke was my main desire. all are good accreat and low leading for 45 acp at 50 yrds and action shooting. the best so far for low smoke is ruster labs zambea . needs a heater for lumer. have 5 people shooting bulls eye and ppc. they are my testers. so far they all like the zambea lube. thanks

Adam10mm
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Lar's Red. I just ordered 100 sticks.