PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like the primer & gun powder shortages are coming to an end

Bonz
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Just heard from one of the local stores that I buy reloading items from that we should begin to see improvements in stock very soon. They were advised by 2 of their suppliers that stock is returning and the manufacturers are beginning to pull ahead of the demand.

Sounds like the people that bought a ton of primers & gun powder to make a massive profit during the drought may end up with a lifetime + supply of primers & gun powder. No sympathy from me ;-)

Adam10mm
03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Two of my pulse indicators are Grafs and PV. Look at their inventory over time to determine market condition.

badbob454
03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
i bought my hoard years ago he he back when turkish ammo 8mm was 4c per round and 7,62x39 was 3.50 a box i will start buying again when the prices go down...
i am however running low on pistol primers small for my makarov exellent little gun ,, e. german, accurate as can be freehand 6" groups 50 yards . bench probably 2-3'' group

TheGrimReaper
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Man, I PRAY that you are right. I can find a few primers here but they want almost 50.00 a brick, and powder......well, that is gone and not seen.

Bonz
03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Man, I PRAY that you are right. I can find a few primers here but they want almost 50.00 a brick, and powder......well, that is gone and not seen.

If you get desperate, you can always buy from http://www.brunoshooters.com

Love Life
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
i bought my hoard years ago he he back when turkish ammo 8mm was 4c per round and 7,62x39 was 3.50 a box i will start buying again when the prices go down...
i am however running low on pistol primers small for my makarov exellent little gun ,, e. german, accurate as can be freehand 6" groups 50 yards . bench probably 2-3'' group

I remember back around 2003 when a bandolier of 70 rds of 8X57 ammo was $7.95 at Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, AL. About 40% had split necks and I pulled the bullets and saved them along with the powder. I am still kicking myself for not buying every crate in the place!! Of course I was 18 and busier spending my money on hot girls and fastish cars.

oldred
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the people that bought a ton of primers & gun powder to make a massive profit during the drought may end up with a lifetime + supply of primers & gun powder. No sympathy from me ;-)

Or better yet rather than just sit on something they can't sell and don't need they may dump it on the market at below market prices, this could not only lead to plentiful supplies but some real bargain sales soon!:cool:

Another plus is that these guys may not be so quick to jump in and buy up all the supplies the next time a panic starts (unfortunately for us that's more likely to happen again than not sooner or later).

koehn,jim
03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
lovelife i still spend money on hot women and fast cars. As you get older you will get new priorties, I set some money aside every month to buy supplies. My grandfather used to say too soon old to late smart. Powder valley and natchez have had some powder in this week and i have an order coming. Primers I have several years worth and of course I make my own boolits. Hope this thing is close to ver.

TES
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
lets not forget the new few 100,000 gun owners as well as new re-loaders....with hungry progressive presses. Even when supps get back on the shelves you are going to have even more people competing for the same old delivery to the LGS. While they may be available there wont be as much as there used to be for you.

Anyone got any stats on ammo / component prices after a big shortage? Did the prices go up or back to normal?

Love Life
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Anyone got any stats on ammo / component prices after a big shortage? Did the prices go up or back to normal?

Q: Anyone got any stats on ammo / component prices after a big shortage? Did the prices go up or back to normal?
A: No and NO.

mold maker
03-26-2013, 01:19 PM
It's time for a NEW Normal.

Castaholic
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I would agree that the suppliers are catching up. Our local sportsmans warehouse has been able to keep the common calibers (except .22lr) in stock for two weeks now. Last week I even picked up 2000 primers and an 8 lb jug of powder.

uscra112
03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Idaho brick-and-mortar store isn't a good indicator, IMHO. People there (including part of my family) were already prepared and didn't need to run out and buy truckloads of guns, ammo and components. The online sellers will be the truest indicator.

TES
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Q: Anyone got any stats on ammo / component prices after a big shortage? Did the prices go up or back to normal?
A: No and NO.

Um...."NO" cant be an answer to the second question. ;)

km101
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I will think that the shortage is easing up when Powder Valley has 231 and Bullseye in stock. Along with CCI and Federal primers.

It's like Yogi Berra used to say "It aint over 'til it's over!"

I haven't seen any primers, powder or ammo around here yet, but I hope you are right. I would like to see a quick return to normal, but I think that the folks that waited too long to buy and missed out will clean out the first re-supply from distributors and we will be back to empty shelves. It will take a couple of cycles before things level off.

bassnbuck
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I talked to a nice lady at mid south today. She told me they are still working on filling orders taken in November. Shelves are bare locally.

gbrown
03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Haven't seen anything easing up in SETX. Shelves empty except for shotgun and some rifle calibers, none of the more common calibers (30/30, '06, 243, 223 or pistol) 22 ammo nonexistent. Friend drove from Orange to Jasper (60 mi?) going to the lease, looked for 22 Mag, stopped 10 X(?) at Walmart, hardware, etc. Finally found some in a pawn shop in Jasper for 2X normal price. Still, I think by June-July, it will get back to some normalacy. I think, as others have said, it's the just in time warehousing that caught everyone short. The panic, Dec/Jan timeframe, caught the retailers by surprise, then the jobbers/wholesalers and manufacturers, and so on.

Catshooter
03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Yea, I don't think so. Not by a long shot.

This is my third shortage and by far the worst as far as what has disappeared. These things don't clear up real fast. Now this time next year, well, maybe. Maybe.

That's how I'm planning anyway. We'll see and boy would I love to be full of it. But I doubt it.

Cat

sparkz
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I was not ready for the whole reload thing,, I just got raked over the Coals for primers [smilie=b:( had to buy 5000 to get a price better then a million dollars for a look!) so now I have to try to sell a few so i can eat...:kidding: hahaha, but Hey, we are shooting

Patrick

God Impeach the King.........

John Allen
03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I just back from Cabelas in Hamburg. They had about 25 different powders on the shelf, about 10 different AR mags in quantity, plus a little bit of 22lr. They did have 223, 308, etc. They still only had Large magnum pistol primers.

Roundnoser
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
On this same thread, I have been seeing more and more AR's for sale in the 1,000 - 1,500 dollar range. I think much of the "personal defense weapon" hoarding has reached a saturation point. And with the Feinstein gun-grab bill no longer an imminent threat, things are relaxing a little.

I did see an ad on Craigslist for the Philadelphia area...A guy wanted $100 per 1K of primers. Not sure if he had any buyers.

garym1a2
03-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Their is a shortage of componets? I have gotten two shipments in from powder valley in Feb of this year.
3000 nosler .223 match 69gr @ $154.77/k
10,000 CCI SRP @ $26/K
2lb WSF for $35.2
4lb WST @ $64.25
3K CCI MAG SP @ $78
4lbs Bullseye @$56
1lb Universal @ $18.25
5lbs Rel15 @$89.40.
Plus about $50 shipping/haxmat on each order.

Don't people know if they pay attention to Powder valley they can get suppies at normal prices? You just have to wait till they get it in stock plus 4-6weeks.

Gliden07
03-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Their is a shortage of componets? I have gotten two shipments in from powder valley in Feb of this year.
3000 nosler .223 match 69gr @ $154.77/k
10,000 CCI SRP @ $26/K
2lb WSF for $35.2
4lb WST @ $64.25
3K CCI MAG SP @ $78
4lbs Bullseye @$56
1lb Universal @ $18.25
5lbs Rel15 @$89.40.
Plus about $50 shipping/haxmat on each order.

Don't people know if they pay attention to Powder valley they can get suppies at normal prices? You just have to wait till they get it in stock plus 4-6weeks.

I have done this with most of my reloading equipment. I can't afford 150 bucks for a shell plate for a 223 so I waited. Same for rifle dies! I enjoy reloading and shooting but need to keep on budget! So I wait and sometimes wait!! LOL!!

dakotashooter2
03-31-2013, 12:10 AM
It's going to be interesting. I suspect many that are paying for overpriced stuff do not need it at the moment and are probably hoarding it. What is going to happen is they are going to have all this high priced stuff laying around when the market stabilizes. I'm not buying anything that isn't regular price or that I absolutly don't need at the moment. I will wait and stock up when things settle down. The upside is that nearly every piece of brass I own is either loaded or processed and ready to loaded while I wait for things to get back to normal.

MOcaster
03-31-2013, 12:39 AM
My local gun shop has powder and small pistol primers. Well, at least they did Friday when I went in. They got in quite a bit of powder but only 1000 small pistol primers and 600 were gone by the time I left. (I was in for about 5 minutes. They were limiting primers to 200 a customer. I got 200 and so did two other people.) Powder was up a dollar or 2. The primers cost the same as pre-panic, but pre-panic was $5/100. If I lived in a big town I would have shopped around a little to find them cheaper, but with a total population of 1347, my town doesn't have room for more than one gun/fishing/outdoors store. I don't really mind the slightly higher prices though. I'm friends with the guy at the store and he helped me get into reloading so I like to help him out and give him some business.

perotter
03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Starting to see new ARs here in the shops for under $900. The other day was the first time I've ever seen a #8 Unique in this town.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Cabelas by me just got a few AR's in under $900.

kodiak1
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Man this is great to hear that things are starting to slow down in the Hoarding for you folks. Maybe in a few months we can get some stuff up here. I had a pretty good hoard good for the rest of this year but will be watching and buying for the next time this happens.

Ken.

dragon813gt
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
lets not forget the new few 100,000 gun owners as well as new re-loaders....with hungry progressive presses. Even when supps get back on the shelves you are going to have even more people competing for the same old delivery to the LGS. While they may be available there wont be as much as there used to be for you.

I doubt it. Most of the new owners are going to treat it like any other passing fad. They will buy initially and then it will sit on the shelf and not be touched ever again. On the reloading side we will be fine. People are extremely lazy anymore. As soon as ammo is back on the shelves the presses will sit unused. Most likely in the box it came in because they never used it to begin with.

It's exactly what happened last time. And unfortunately there will be new normal prices. It took four years for ARs to become dirt cheap again. I don't think it will get back to that level. But with people's short attention spans they will quickly forget and not prepare for the future.

silverado
02-20-2014, 11:26 PM
I found 2 8# jugs of 296 for about $135 yesterday but can't bring myself to buy it since I don't have a lot of magnum brass.... better get it before it's gone I guess...

snowwolfe
02-21-2014, 12:54 AM
The Cabelas near Denver has had a fair assortment of primers for the last three months or so. But their powder selection sucks. They do have a good selection of .223, 9mm and 45 acp ammo. Slow burning powders are easy to find if you check the web sites every day. Its the fast burning powder we use in handguns that is hard to find.
I just got an email from CMP telling me they raised the price of 22 ammo by $40 a case and they will not longer take any back orders until they fill existing orders. They expect it will take a year to fill the existing orders.
I am not sure if things are getting better or if we are just learning to look harder to find what we need.

MaryB
02-21-2014, 03:26 AM
CFE223 has been nonexistent for 6 months... haven't even seen it online. And it is my favorite... I went into this with a good supply of red dot, some green and blue dot, h4895...

Isaac
02-21-2014, 07:52 AM
I have been to two Wal Marts in the past two weeks that had .22's for the first time in a while. One had Federal American Eagle 40 grain solids for $2.49 per box of 50. The other had Federal bulk packs 525 count, I believe, for $22.95. Went to a gun show after I visited the second store and the least expensive bulk packs were $59 with others as a high as $70.

Powder has become more available at the local shops. Prices tend to vary from the low-high $20's depending upon the manufacture.

What I have noticed is the spread of die set prices. Some local shops offer them at $32-35 per set for standards and others have been as high as $45. I've seen carbide sets as high as $65. Lee sets seem to be holding in the mid-high $20 range at the shops that carry them.

Isaac

ACrowe25
02-21-2014, 08:38 AM
I doubt it. Most of the new owners are going to treat it like any other passing fad. They will buy initially and then it will sit on the shelf and not be touched ever again. On the reloading side we will be fine. People are extremely lazy anymore. As soon as ammo is back on the shelves the presses will sit unused. Most likely in the box it came in because they never used it to begin with.

It's exactly what happened last time. And unfortunately there will be new normal prices. It took four years for ARs to become dirt cheap again. I don't think it will get back to that level. But with people's short attention spans they will quickly forget and not prepare for the future.

What about the ones who already had the reloading/casting hook sink too deep and are addicted after 10,000+ rounds?

I mean, I don't know anyone like that but still :p

I started out just before the panic. Loading 9mm when people said it wasn't economical to do so. I can't remember the reason why I started but whatever it was musta been good to get this deep

MtGun44
02-21-2014, 10:14 AM
"I have been seeing more and more AR's for sale in the 1,000 - 1,500 dollar range" :shock: YIKES!!!

ARs have been in the $690-750 range in the KC area for at least 6 months, at least for the more
plain jane models. If they are "down to" $1000- 1500 and you think that is good, your prices
are way different in Pennsy than around here.

Primers were available in large quantities for $35/1000 at last weekend's gun show. I still am not
buying. I stocked up at $20/1000 and am still in good shape. Probably never see that price again,
but I want to find out what the new level is once there is really plenty available.

One significant factor is that there are literally millions of new guns being sold - while many are not
first guns, a lot are the first gun for a person, but either way there are lots more "mouths to feed" out there,
and I don't think that the ammo makers have been ramping up production until recently. I do know that
Win is in the process of moving from Ill to the south, maybe Alabama, I forget, with their main ammo factory,
so that can't be making things easier. Rem's new factory in Alabama has been announced, and I hope
a part of it will be ammo making.

Bill

ffries61
02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Bill, I thought that price was high too, then I noticed the post was from March of last year :grin:

Iowa Fox
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
I make it into town maybe once every couple of weeks during the winter and when I do I like to look around. Walmarts around here have been empty of 22 LR since late summer 2012 now everything is empty except for a few shotgun shells. I don't need anything but look just to see what is going on.

Right now I'm more concerned about prices that I am seeing at the grocery store here, the gasoline pump, and taxes. Beef is already up and hog market prices have been shooting up for the last month. I think this whole thing is going to get very interesting this year.

Wis. Tom
02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Propane is very concerning to me. I burn wood but there is alot of people that can't afford $5 to $6 a gallon LP. I agree Iowa Fox, everything, not just ammo, is moving up the price range, and I don't like where this could end up. If you know of elder or widows and such, living in the rural areas, please stop by to check on them, as we in the Midwest, are getting into another round of below 0 weather, and more and more, are trying to go without heat.

texassako
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Cabela's in Ft. Worth had fully stocked ammo shelves this week, even had 4 different brands of .22 LR. Stacks of primers of several types and brands, but no LR of any kind. No powder and they had very little bagged brass. Their prices probably have a little bit to do with the shelves having stock.

oldred
02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
I saw the thread title and my first thought was "well it's about time", but then I saw the date! :(

Now it's a year later and still no let-up around here, at least not much. It's somewhat better but still a lot of shortages with most powders being about as rare as hen's teeth and 22 RF simply being non-existent, things had gotten better late last year with even a few rf showing up at Wally World but since Christmas even that has dried up again and the guy behind the counter I talked to says the demand is showing no signs of ebbing. Back in the summer I found a tiny out-of-the-way shop that had a good supply of powder, primers and most everything else except for RF but word must have got out about him because two weeks ago I stopped by there to see if he had gotten in any 22 WMR and the place had been all but cleaned out of powder. He still had lots of primers but other than some of the slower moving stuff the powder was gone, he says he hopes to be restocked soon and the distributor has promised a delivery but we will just have to wait and see. The bottom line is that here it is one year later and little has changed.

dragon813gt
02-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Well since someone brought this thread back from the dead I will quote myself. Why? Because my prediction was wrong. ARs are back to the prices they were pre Sandy Hook. No new normal pricing on that end.

destrux
02-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Actually I think AR prices came down a bit. I've seen new guns for $400 online recently, and they aren't selling out of them.

At least normal caliber ammo is back, but this powder thing is getting old. Paying $110 for two pounds of powder online is BS when I used to pick it up for $25 a pound in the store. The 10% price hike is bad enough without the damn Hazmat fee. I'd like to know exactly what they do differently for that fee anyway... the guys at the UPS depot still chuck the boxes around like they're full of air even if they're Hazmat marked.

Friends call me Pac
02-21-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm still using primers I bought from Gibson's almost 20 years ago. To give you an idea of how old they are they have a price sticker of $1.29 on the box of 100. My 8 lb keg of 231 has a sticker price of $89 on it. At 6 gr per round and the amount of shooting I get to do I guess I have a lifetime supply of pistol powder.

Now rifle powder is a different story. I do have some 760 that I use for hunting that is maybe 10 years old but my target powders are sometimes hard to find.

Blammer
02-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Well since someone brought this thread back from the dead I will quote myself. Why? Because my prediction was wrong. ARs are back to the prices they were pre Sandy Hook. No new normal pricing on that end.

well I wish that were true for AR10's.

Bonz
02-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Primers are everywhere, just can't find specific smokeless powder, forced to use whatever I can get my hands on. Should have kept track of all the different loads, could have probably written my own reloading book ;-)

gwpercle
02-21-2014, 05:50 PM
I haven't seen the end just yet .....so I will quote a phrase by the infamous Lawrence Peter Berra,

" It ain't over till it's over " .

Rex
02-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Our Wal-Mart had primers and most common ammo a couple of days ago. Powder and rimfire is still tight. Once in a while I can still come up with the powder I need if I hunt around a bit.

Ickisrulz
02-21-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm still using primers I bought from Gibson's almost 20 years ago. To give you an idea of how old they are they have a price sticker of $1.29 on the box of 100. My 8 lb keg of 231 has a sticker price of $89 on it. At 6 gr per round and the amount of shooting I get to do I guess I have a lifetime supply of pistol powder.

Now rifle powder is a different story. I do have some 760 that I use for hunting that is maybe 10 years old but my target powders are sometimes hard to find.

I have to ask...did you buy a huge amount at one time, not shoot that much or do you not rotate your supplies?

MtGun44
02-21-2014, 07:27 PM
"everything, not just ammo, is moving up the price range, "

Actually, 'Quantitative Easing' another way of saying "Intentionally Inflating the Currency", so
the money is going down, not the goods going up. Thank the Federal Reserve.

Bill

Wayne Smith
02-21-2014, 07:34 PM
You think prices are going up now? Just wait until this summer. 40% of the veggies nationally were produced in the Central Valley of California, a huge amount of almonds and you name it ... not to mention the California wine sources that will have to be rebuilt over 20-30 years after the end of the drought. We are looking at a huge increase in food prices, plant a garden!

dragon813gt
02-21-2014, 08:19 PM
That will suck for people that buy out of season and out of area. Buy fresh, buy local. I don't drink wine so that won't effect me one bit.

wlc
02-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Powder, rimfire (22 lr and mag) and some jacketed bullet selections are still in very short supply here. Powder does come in spits and spurts, I've seen primers nearly every time I go into one of the stores for a couple of weeks now though. Powder seems to be hit or miss and the only thing that stays on the shelves is odd stuff or some of the newer powders that folks haven't figured out alternative/multiple uses for yet. SOme "steel" stayed on the shelf in one store for nearly a month.

karlrudin
02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
I was going through some of my stock on primers and such yesterday. I decided to open a brick of large rifle primers and try one before I load up dud ammo. Bang like it should. date 9/27/79. I was happy!

MtGun44
02-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Wayne,

I heard that this year's allocation from the Feds for the central valley will be ZERO. Last year was
20% of normal. Not going to be good, I expect many farms will be ruined permanently. Unreal.

We are going to have to decide whether lawns, pools and clean cars are more important than
food.

Karlrudin -
Those primers were bought about the time I signed on to the job that I retire from next week.
Almost 35 yrs.

Bill

silverado
02-21-2014, 09:56 PM

I mean this in the most respectful way possible but you must be pretty dang old :sly:

Catshooter
02-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Heck Silverado, I've got 10,000 Remington large pistol primers that I paid $7.50 a thousand for.

Oh wait, I guess that makes me even older . . .

:)

Welcome to the board.

Cat

smokesahoy
02-22-2014, 02:27 AM
This shortage did 1 thing for me: made me say to myself, you can't keep buying stripped lower receivers. I just don't need or want any more ar's. I built a pink one for my 1 week old daughter, another for my wife that doesn't want it, one for my fil that totally loves it, a ****** spikes gmp dissy, an el cheapo palmetto and I still have receivers. It just got silly. My future unborn son has one too.

Thanks Obama, it's your fault I got these things coming out my ears.

I should bring one to work to use as a paperweight. Just the receiver (in this crowd I have to clarify haha)

beezapilot
02-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Last gunshow I went to had CCI SPP at $25 per K. I've called to cancel some backorders because other backorders are catching up and I've become an unintentional hoarder. People are dumping AR's at the show as well (guess they are not going to be worth 5K after all). Still very little ammo at the local stores, have not seen .22's on the shelf yet. Old Smiths and Colts seem to be getting pricier tho....

And yes... I am building a green house (actually a "shade house" here in Fla).

pdawg_shooter
02-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I remember back around 2003 when a bandolier of 70 rds of 8X57 ammo was $7.95 at Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, AL. About 40% had split necks and I pulled the bullets and saved them along with the powder. I am still kicking myself for not buying every crate in the place!! Of course I was 18 and busier spending my money on hot girls and fastish cars.

I remember back in the 60s when h4831 was 60 cents a pound if you bought a 100#keg.

TXGunNut
02-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I thought for sure we'd be back to normal a few months after this thread started. I'm sure hoping this isn't the new normal. Still looking for the LR primers my rifles like, need to start using what I can find for my for some of my plinking loads. Seems to be lots of ammo on the shelves but can't say about the prices, haven't bought any in years. Would be nice to see some 22lr, even if I don't need any.

9w1911
02-23-2014, 05:20 AM
"the guys at the UPS depot still chuck the boxes around like they're full of air even if they're Hazmat marked." HAHAHA true!!

silverado
02-24-2014, 11:42 PM
I would be happy for the UPS man to throw some hp38 at my door, don't care if the box gets dented.

dnotarianni
04-03-2014, 08:26 AM
I talked to a nice lady at mid south today. She told me they are still working on filling orders taken in November. Shelves are bare locally.

I talked to her last week and was told my backorder from Dec 2012 for 22lr was still waiting and was not cancled and would be filled when they got them back in stock

GRUMPA
04-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I got so tired of people that know me ask me "how much" for this and that I decided to let them experience first hand what I go through.

Last month I gave 2 people a list of what it is they need for what they want. I even gave them alternatives in the powder area, nothing fancy as far as powders but they are for pistols.

These are the type of people that travel from 1 end of AZ to the other more than I do so I figured they wouldn't have a problem finding what's on that list I gave them.

Guess what?

They found primers just fine but when it came to powders I still get calls. Seems rifle powders are around this state to a point but pistol powders forget it.

So in the end I guess what I'm having them do is paying off, those 2 are now feeling my pain when it comes to getting what you want.

Kinda puts a whole different slant to "how much" and getting what they want and having the other schmuck having to go looking for what they used in hopes of replacing what they used.

I'm just leaning back in my chair with the biggest grin I think I ever had in my life.

Now they get to experience first hand what I go through.

km101
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Don't know where you shop, but there is almost NO powder available here in N. Texas. And the people that I am talking to are saying the opposite. You can find a few primers & powder at gunshows, but they are priced such that I am not buying.

Luckily my stash is holding up, for now.

silverado
04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
People are buying 1 pound of powder for 20 bucks, plus shipping, plus hazmat.... that is just sad

Love Life
04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
There has been powder and primers available throught this whole time.

dragon813gt
04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
There has been powder and primers available throught this whole time.

Lies. You must be a government agent if you believe that. The proof is in this thread. You can't find powder or primers anywhere ;)

I saw this one coming a mile away. When I heard about Sandy Hook mu first call was to Powder Valley. I was due for a large order anyway. So I made sure to order enough to ride out a prolonged shortage.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Guess where the last several jugs of BLC-2 3rd Gen had in December 2012 ended up? I sold one of those jugs, but man, my powder shelf is bowing in the center.

I too saw it coming. I maxed out on a lot of components, made my money back plus some, and will be able to feed my habit for a long time now. Smells like awesome in here.

MtGun44
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
HMM, $20 a pound (or more) for powder was normal 5 years ago. How is this "sad"?

Bill

silverado
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
HMM, $20 a pound (or more) for powder was normal 5 years ago. How is this "sad"?

Bill

Because of adding shipping and hazmat charge puts it around $50. Last time I tried to buy available pistol powder I got a "only 1 in stock message" either it was 1 in stock or a 1 unit limit. That was from natchez.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Sheeoot. I live in the middle of nowhere so paying $50 per lb delivered to my door is still acceptable to me.

jcwit
04-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Why would anyone only order 1 lb. of powder from a company like say Powder valley?

Love Life
04-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Because they want to....

jcwit
04-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Well ya, I suppose so, but that's like putting in 1 gal. of gas to drive to town where gas is higher then filling up. Logic I just find hard to comprehend.

But there are those out their and I've heard they vote also. Scary isn't it.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Good analogy.

runfiverun
04-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I have been out and about the last few days [meaning I have been in 7-8 gun stores]
I have seen h-4227, h-110, aa5744, aa#9, some 2230, 4350 [ h-4831, h-380 both in 8 pounders] and a few others.
but nothing faster than the AA#9. [which I should have probably bought since I have been using it lately]
primers are all over the place but at 34-39.00 a thousand and 3.90-4.19 a hundred.
brass has been spotty and somewhat pricey.
bullets are all up a couple bucks per hundred too.

Handloader109
04-03-2014, 09:55 PM
It might be easing a bit around here. My local GS had three different pistol powder in 1lb canisters, more than a couple on the shelf and about 4 different rifle powders. Most I have seen since Nov of last year. I've held back a bit, but bought 3 pounds of powder in past week where in past 5 months only was able to buy one pound of pistol powder. And I could have gone back today and bought more. (2 lb limit per day)

silverado
04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
It might be easing a bit around here. My local GS had three different pistol powder in 1lb canisters, more than a couple on the shelf and about 4 different rifle powders. Most I have seen since Nov of last year. I've held back a bit, but bought 3 pounds of powder in past week where in past 5 months only was able to buy one pound of pistol powder. And I could have gone back today and bought more. (2 lb limit per day)

And you didn't go change clothes and a fake moustache? Amateur.... :D

Garyshome
04-03-2014, 10:14 PM
LGS usually has more then I have money to buy! I'm going there tomorrow without enough $$$$$.

Bzcraig
04-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I will think that the shortage is easing up when Powder Valley has 231 and Bullseye in stock. Along with CCI and Federal primers.

It's like Yogi Berra used to say "It aint over 'til it's over!"

Yup, this is how I'm looking at it. Primers are available at a decent (not great) price but powder is still scarce.

DrtRacr09
04-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Just saw a guy (hoarder) trying to sell out on a facebook group, 30,000 22LR, only wants $140 per 500 for CCI Stingers plus shipping. My guess is he will have them for awhile longer.