PDA

View Full Version : Problems with CVA Hawken

warboar_21
03-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Guys,

I bought a CVA Hawken back in 1991 and used it for three seasons prior to joining the Army. The last time it was fired was back in 1995 while in the service. My friend had never fired one and we took it to the range. This rifle hasn't been fired since as I kind of went different directions. I have always taken it out of the safe and made sure it was oiled up but just never took it out shooting.

This past weekend we had friends come from out of town. We decided to go out shooting and my friend was talking about buying a black powder rifle to hunt with. When I told him I had one he asked if I could teach him how to load and shoot one since he was only familiar with modern weapons.
Well we loaded up the guns and went out to shoot. I had bought some new CCI #11 caps the day before since I couldn't find my older ones. I fired off a few caps to ensure the nipple was clear as well as the rifle. All three caps fired with no problems. Loaded up the rifle with Pyrodex and patched ball and set out to shoot the rifle.
Now here is where the problem comes. When I put on a cap and pulled the set trigger and then took aim and pulled the trigger the cap wouldn't go off. Ok pull back the hammer and try again. Nothing happened. Pull off the cap and repeat. This went on several times until finally the gun fires. I think I put 6 caps on it. To me it seemed like the hammer was not falling hard enough to ignite the primers or maybe the CCI percussion caps are less than reliable? When I reloaded the rifle and let him and his son try shooting it we went through the whole exercise about as many times as I did.

Have any of you had problems with the CCI caps? Is there a better brand? I just found some Winchester Magnum #11 caps at Bass Pro so I picked them up to possibly see if that is the issue.
Would my hammer spring need to be replaced from the years of not being used?

Sadly they went away less than impressed with the rifle and I was a bit discouraged as well. This rifle went three for three on Whitetail deer when I lived in Indiana and it was always reliable for me back then. I only ever had one time where it didn't fire while hunting but that was because the rain had gotten to the cap.
Any advice on what to do?

Marvin S
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
CCI caps are as good as any. Did yours get damp or wet? Is the cap seating all the way down on the nipple, and the nipple is not mushroomed on top? Is the lock clean and not gummy? These are easy things to do and will probalby fix the issue.

Nobade
03-26-2013, 08:09 AM
What he said. I would make sure the cap is seating all the way down on the nipple. I have had to stone nipples smaller in some cases to get the caps to fit properly and not take multiple hits to fire. Is it possible the rifle has been dry fired and the nipple mushroomed?

Sometimes you can seat the cap all the way with a stick. Don't use your thumb because if it did fire you would be in a world of hurt.

-Nobade

451 Pete
03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
One other thing to check is that your passage way is clear to the powder chamber. A lot of times oil that has set for a period of time will form a gummy substance that can block the spark from getting to the powder. I always try to aim an uncharged barrel at something like a blade of grass or a leaf on the ground when snapping a cap or two before loading.

Pete

docone31
03-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Is the hammer notch crudded up?
I had a CVA that did the same thing, untill I found an old fired cap in the hammer. I pulled the cap, then I polished the notch. I also filed down the peening on the nipple firing had developed on it.
I now use Ampco nipples, and make sure my hammer is clear.

warboar_21
03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the advice on what to look for.

Several years ago I replaced the factory nipple with a stainless steel one since there was a little rust forming on it. I don't recall the brand as it's been several years. I personally haven't dry fired the gun but i'm not saying that it hasn't been done. When I was in the Army my younger brothers pretty much had their way with my guns while I was over seas.
I will try and do a complete tear down and cleaning and see if this fixes the problem.
I need to sort this out since I have put in for muzzleloader deer and elk this year and if drawn I was planning on using it. Would hate to have to go and buy a new rifle when this one has worked so well for me in the past.

warboar_21
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Well I gave the gun a good deep cleaning today. Took it apart and cleaned out the lock and scraped out all the crud from the hammer as well as cleaning the bore really well. It wasn't that dirty as it was only fired three times. So hopefully it will function this weekend when I test it out.

Thanks again for the help.

mooman76
03-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I heard of someone else on another board having trouble with new CCI caps. Might want to give them a call or email.

fouronesix
03-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Well I gave the gun a good deep cleaning today. Took it apart and cleaned out the lock and scraped out all the crud from the hammer as well as cleaning the bore really well. It wasn't that dirty as it was only fired three times. So hopefully it will function this weekend when I test it out.

Thanks again for the help.

The MOST common problem with getting a ML to fire the 1st shot after long storage or excessive use of oil or solvent during storage or after cleaning or after range swabbing and cleaning is residue build up in the area of the breech where the flash hole enters the breech from the nipple. The 100% way to prevent that and to ensure that first shot fires after storage or after range swabbing/cleaning is to turn the ML upside down with the muzzle elevated a little. Dribble a little denatured alcohol into the muzzle and let it run out the nipple. Place the gun on a cradle or on the range bags and run a snug jagged patch briskly in and out to force the rest of the alcohol (along with the gunk) out the nipple. This will also speed the evaporation of the rest of the alcohol. With the rifle unloaded, put a cap on and fire it at something on the ground with the muzzle a few inches from the "target" on the ground. Should see the impulse of the cap "poof" the target. Then load and fire. That sequence, for firing the 1st shot, is the most reliable way I know of to get one to fire 100% of the time after storage or cleaning.