PDA

View Full Version : Mom is coming to town!!

Love Life
03-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Well I really can't say town since I live in BFE...

She'll be flying into town on Thursday and I can already taste the German apple cake. This stuff is rich!! A piece will keep you going for hours.

She wants to do some long range shooting with the 308. Go figure. I reckon I'll have to break out the BLC-2 and get crack-a-lackin on the 550. I am very excited though. We have always been a close family and enjoy spending time together. My mom is a nut and keeps me on my toes as well. I wouldn't mess with her though because she might cut me.

My mom is 52 years old and her pace in life will run most people (me and my Neanderthal brother included) into the ground. I don't even think she understands the meanings of stop and slow down. Good times ahead and some serious comfort food. I better get the super skillet ready for some fried chicken.

Bad Water Bill
03-26-2013, 02:43 AM
You sir are indeed a lucky young man. Enjoy every minute with her and please remember to get copies of ALL of her recipes.

Years from now you will remember a something special mom made but she will be gone and the meal can not be duplicated.

Do NOT ask me how I know.

quilbilly
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Dont forget to ask her questions about her grandparents. Speaking from experience, I didn't ask enough of those and now my younger relatives are asking me.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
It sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. I agree with the above posts. My mom made the best potato salad ever and I never got the recipe. I really wish I would have done that.

km101
03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Dont forget to ask her questions about her grandparents. Speaking from experience, I didn't ask enough of those and now my younger relatives are asking me.

Oh how true! I didn't ask enough questions about ancestors, and now all that information is lost!

LoveLife: remember to look her in the eyes and say "I love you!" at least once a day. Even though she is young, you never know when your last chance will be. I know.

Love Life
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM

I will do that. Both of my Grandfathers have passed, but both Grandmothers are still going strong. My Dad's mother is 78, and I can sit and listen to her stories for hours. She is a strong woman. It is hard to recall how early my Grandfather went to work (Usually before we got up for school), but he always believed in a big breakfast. She was always up and had a large breakfast on the table every morning. I mean eggs, bacon or sausage, buscuits, a block of cheese, pancakes, the works. All before my grandfather (we lovingly called him PaPa) went to work. She also layed out a huge supper every evening. My Grandfather always had to have a sliced tomatoe with supper. A block of cheese was mandatory when we were in town and Dad was at the table. My Grandfather on my Dad's side gave me my first pocket knife. I still have it.

My Mom's mother is straight off the boat Italian. That lady can lay out some serious food. Her stories of Italy are always good listening. Ahh very fond memories.

Sorry for the rambling.

Bad Water Bill
03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
You might want to invest in some sort of tape recorder and use that on ALL of those young ladies stories.

Years from now it will still be nice to hear their voices.

When my wife went to her home in Germany we taped our phone calls.

Years after the wife had died I found some tapes and played them. My poor dog went crazy running thru the house looking for her. He heard her voice and just knew she must have returned.

Enjoy her visit sir.

Freightman
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Count yourself as fortunate, spend as much time with your mother as possible both my Mom and Dad are gone Father in law and Mother in law also, barley remember my one grandpa never met the other as he died when my dad was two, never had the privilege of a grandmother so do count yourself as fortunate.

gsdelong
03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
My wife and I have started a new project where we are taking a photograph every time we think about it and writing the story behind the photograph. I started with the ones that were in an album my grandmother made for me.

scottiemom
03-26-2013, 05:22 PM
get recipes!!!

AggieEE
03-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I agree totally with all of the above. I also lost both parents and no siblings, and some people wonder why I'm hard to get along with at times :grin: Enjoy your visit.
AggieEE

phil3333
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
sounds like you have a great mom,enjoy your visit.
for some reason i thought you were older:grin: