PDA

View Full Version : want to start casting 9mm. need advice.

skytex
03-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Ok so I'm new to casting boolits and want to start casting 9mm for my hi point and want some help in setting up. I do drip my own shot so working with lead isn't new. Ive got a 10lb lyman pot and about 60 pounds of wheel weights. What mold and other equipment should I get to start this? I'm used to my mec 9000 for shotshell reloading. I've read that it's similar but also different. Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-26-2013, 12:55 AM
I assume that your gun is an auto so in choosing a mold you would want a bullet that is a round nose, a conical nose or a truncated nose design. all of these will give you reliable, dependable feeding. All major mold makers, i.e. Lyman, Lee, Saeco, and RCBS offer a wide choice of designs. Independent mold makers known on this forum also make excellent designs including custom choices. A good set of mold handles is also required. Your bullets will also have to be sized and lubed...sized with the lee system and pan lubed or else a lubrisizer machine can be used. A good set of dies, a good powder measure and a scale to keep the measure honest are also necessary. And of course a decent press to put things together. There are several well known brands for these items and many ideas, choices, preferences and opinions on which to get/use. Do some reading and consulting of the resource info available on this forum and ask a lot of questions...someone will always help you. There is nothing wrong with being new...we all started out new at one time or another. If your budget allows go for the best equipment; its best in the long run. Whatever you spend will come back to you especially with the cost of ammo off the shelf these days (if there is any left on the shelf). Gather as much info now so you can make the best choices when its time to buy. LLS

SlowSmokeN
03-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Slug you barrel before you buy a mold. If you don't you will be buying two molds and only using one of them.

03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Make them fat. I use the lee 358-125 RF sized to .358 in my CZ 75b which slugs at .3565. I have used Titegroup, Unique and multiple alloys. I have not had any leading problems in my gun or others.

Shiloh
03-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Most 9mm mold are marginal on size. Not the mold makers fault so much as bores run large. I need .358 diameter. .356 patterns at 50 feet.
.356+ are common.

Shiloh

Whipple
04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
skytex I'm casting for 9mm now, at least I was last night but expect to do some more today. I'm also in Waco so IM me and maybe I can be of help.

Doby45
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
.358 for all my 9mm loving too. Multiple molds, Lee 358-125 RF and of course the MiHec 358-135 RF

captaint
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I, also need to size at .358 to prevent leading in my 9's. As long as your gun will chamber boolits
in .358, try going with that for starters. Don't go too soft with the alloy. I use straight WW's for mine and I air cool them.. There's an excellent sticky on this very subject authored by Mt44Gun.
Great stuff. Great advice. Do yourself a favor and read that one. I think it's under "MOLDS". Mike Turns out the sticky is under the heading
"Classics and Stickys" - top of the main page.

MtGun44
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Check out the sticky:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm/page2

I do not recommend tumble lube designs, even though some have success with 9mm, many
have problems and the most direct way is with conventional lube designs.

Bill

Raven_Darkcloud
04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Slug your bore. I use a 38/357 mold. Lee 358-125-rf mold sized to .357. I have shot over 1500 in my glock and other 9mm pistols. The round flat nose feeds great in every gun I have shot it from. You can easily make hp rounds out of them. I use a 20:1 lead tin alloy and they drop at 130gr.