PDA

View Full Version : Is Monday over yet?

DLCTEX
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Last Monday my oldest son, who works for me, got pinned between his truck and a wall when working on it and it started with him standing in front. He fractured his pelvis into the ball socket and will be in bed for 1-3 months. This morning I went to pick up my other helper and he was leaving for California for 1-3 weeks. He was about to drive off when I arrived and wasn't going to even tell me. I have work that would have overwhelmed all three of us, now I will have to run me through the copy machine. Finding decent, or fair labor here is almost impossible with all the oil field work going on. Some customers are going to be disappointed, and I'm going to be tired.[smilie=b:

TXGunNut
03-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Don't know what kind of work you need done but we're in the oilpatch too and our best help lately has all been retired guys who either can't make it on social security or can't sit around the house. They won't run off to the oilfield, either. A few of our guys can work most youngsters into the ground as well.
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for your son.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Dang! Sorry to hear about your son. That could have been much worse. I hope you find some help soon. Don't over do it. It's just not worth it.

Finster101
03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm guessing you are in auto/truck repair. Sorry to hear about your son, glad it was not more serious, sounds bad enough. Good help has always been hard to keep. As the saying goes there are wheels on a toolbox for a reason. Looking for a couple of retired guys might be just the trick for you right now. Even if you have to do most of the diag , they can hang parts.

S&W-629
03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your son.. I wish I was closer I need a job

bayjoe
03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
+2 what those guys said about older guys. Very few of the newer generation have good work ethics.
They want to play video games all day and get paid six figured salary.
Sure hope your boy is ok
Best wishes to you

Duckiller
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Why is your man leaving for California? Job are few and far between. Gun laws are not the best and it is going to get worse. Tell him before he makes a big mistake. People are moving from Cal to Texas not the other way around.

FLINTNFIRE
03-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Most of the young men they hire on tug boats any more are a waste of food and water , was that way in the woods back in the 80's though to , but does seem worse today no get the work done and done right , no pride in a job well done and they complain about how hard they work when they do less and use more people to do it , want more money , only want to work as operators , so they can turn on heater in winter air conditioner in summer and not have to work in the heat or snow or rain , bunch of lazy , no pride , no talent co workers , sorry to hear about your son , have had hips shattered in a logging injury , other employee not saying he was going somewhere for 1-3 weeks , leave your employer in the lurch , that is not right , wish you the best in the present circumstances .

Bad Water Bill
03-26-2013, 02:34 AM
So tell us where you are and what kind of experience is needed for the job?

Networking here is great.

Sorry to hear about your son. That was scary just reading about it.

03-26-2013, 06:01 AM
So tell us where you are and what kind of experience is needed for the job?

Networking here is great.

Sorry to hear about your son. That was scary just reading about it.

He has the right idea and I too am sorry to hear about your son.

DLCTEX
03-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I am an electrician and home remodeler. Our town is small ,1700 pop. when normal, but it is anything but normal with the boom. Hundreds of RV spaces have been made to provide some way for workers to be here to get to work. I know everyone in town that is a permanent resident and there is no one who wants to work who is not employed. Many retired persons are dry watching well locations, filling in hot shot driving, or many other things that pay more or require less labor than what I do. The helper who left for Cal. went back to take care of family matters and some legal problems. My son was saved from worse damage by a small elm tree that had grown up by the foundation of the building and had been cut off 3 feet above the ground instead of at the ground. That 4 inch trunk stopped the truck from coming closer.

S&W-629
03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
O wow Thank god for that stump. Here in Vermont the Building has came to a STOP real fast well every thing has for jobs

Bad Water Bill
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Eastern panhandle still covers a LOT of land particularly in TEXAS.:kidding:

Doing a 1/2 a$$ job of cutting down a tree sure paid off BIG time for your son.

Now lets see if we can find you some folks to help out. Been doing that kind of work most of my life. Rather be doing that than mixing concrete with a shovel.:bigsmyl2:

koehn,jim
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
My prayers for a quick recovery for your son.

DLCTEX
03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the prayer and concern. I picked up a helper today and he seems to know how to work. My wife manages a storage business and had a new client come in who had just moved here as his son lives here. He managed an apartment complex where he came from and did repairs and remodeling. I'm going to give him a call as he is looking for work.