PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe Solutions

wallenba
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Lately I've been stuggling to find adequate storage solutions for my long guns. My Safe is an older (30 year old) Browning Pro-Steel. I gutted it some years ago to make more room and made new cradles. It barely closes with 24 rifles and shotguns in it. Today I was drawing up yet another new cradle design and anticipating all the work to go into making it. Frustrated, I googled, 'make more room in my gun safe'. What popped up was this link http://www.storemoreguns.com/?SID=hi1m8q72ud7n310b5acia7ra23
What a simple and elegant solution, I just had to share it with you guys if you haven't seen it yet. I ordered 20 and 10 rod starter kits. You might think it pricey, but the cost of a newer safe makes it hurt less. Can't wait for them to get here.

Johnch
03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks

That might be just the fix I need
As the toys are a few to many for the slots

Also they have a nice fix for handguns

John

TheCelt
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Now THAT is thinking outside of the box (or gunsafe)!!! Think I'm gonna check these out, I am OUT OF ROOM!!!

Thanks for posting this wallenba

Just bought some....I think this will help a lot

Ed Barrett
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I have a 40 gun safe, the only you can fit 40 guns is if they are all lever actions without scopes. I like lever actions with iron sights but I like other types too. Old military guns with straight bolt handles and scopes really cut down the capacity. I keep buying more guns, which doesn't help either.

km101
03-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Been out of room in the safe for a while. And the heater closet is not nearly as secure. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the link!

TXGunNut
03-25-2013, 09:50 PM
My 30 gun safe won't hold anywhere near 30 guns, took me awhile to figure that out but my solution was a Knaack Jobmaster tool chest. The 60 inch model has room for quite a few long guns in socks and all the pistols, bulk ammo and lead that I want to stack in there. Even has room for a few files and a small coin collection.

Heavy lead
03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Just ordered a 40 and a 10, I'll let you all know how they work out, my two safes are overfull.

wallenba
03-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I have a 40 gun safe, the only you can fit 40 guns is if they are all lever actions without scopes. I like lever actions with iron sights but I like other types too. Old military guns with straight bolt handles and scopes really cut down the capacity. I keep buying more guns, which doesn't help either.

Straight bolt milsurps are my biggest problem. I considered taking them out and storing them de-cocked in a box. It helps some, but getting the M95 Styer bolt back in is a job. (I use the dime method)

Springfield
03-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Still a PIA to get out the ones in the back. Better to just either get a bigger safe or get rid of the ones you don't shoot. I have 3 safes now, the Cowboy Action safe, the "other" rifle safe, and the pistol safe. I hate banging up my guns trying to get them out. IMHO

Fishman
03-26-2013, 07:12 AM
For straight bolt rifles, consider opening the bolt and racking them that way. It might work better for you. That's what I've started doing.

Doc Highwall
03-26-2013, 07:44 AM
I can see the problem of the rifles being too close together and being scratched. I think a gun sock with a hole in the top to allow the rod to go through would work.

wallenba
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
For straight bolt rifles, consider opening the bolt and racking them that way. It might work better for you. That's what I've started doing.

Leaving them in the rifle, open, leaves the firing pin spring under compression for long periods of time if it cocks on opening. Not sure if that will have a permanent effect on primer strikes, but I would think so. I can do that with my Arisaka though, it cocks on closing.

Ickisrulz
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I used this system in my small safe. I was able to get 12 long guns in an 8 gun safe. I don't have really big scopes on my rifles and a couple of those long guns were shotguns. However, I did have 2 ARs in there. It is a good system and gives lots of room. Now I'm back in my house and just use my big heavier safe for the firearms and the smaller safe for ammo.

Heavy lead
03-31-2013, 09:29 PM
I received mine Friday, I set up my smaller safe, I like them, I'm picky about not having any scratches, nicks, or anything else, the biggeste problem with most safes is you have to skip every other hole, now, you can space as needed, in a nutshell, they work and I'm happy, will do the bigger safe next weekend.
They are a bit pricey for what you get it seems, but they work.

xs11jack
03-31-2013, 09:51 PM
The pistol racks interest me, I will bend my own rods and then find that liquid plastic you can dip plier handles in and coat the rods. Should cost less than the $20 they charge.
Jack

kodiak1
04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I like them pistolla hangers but the shipping to get them up here is fricking retarded.