PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Vaquero

Martin Suiter
03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm new to this site and a new SA shooter. My cousin gave me Ruger Vaquero and I'm having a time figuring out what model it is. It has Ivory grips and has a 5.5" barrel. Im thinking it's a Bisley. I won't have it till after Easter. I have a picture of it.
Martin

jmort
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Not a Bisley. Probably a New Model Vaquero. Regardless, it is a nice gun to own. What caliber is it?

TheCelt
03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
It is a fine pistol but it is not the Bisley model. The faux ivory grips with the Ruger emblem are nice, be VERY careful when tightening the grip screw as the threaded insert in the grip breaks loose easily. I do not see much evidence of a drag ring so it doesn't appear to have been fired much. It appears that it is in 45 Colt which means that if it is the OM (Original Model) as opposed to the New Vaquero then it has the same frame/cylinder design as the Blackhawk. That frame/cylinder will handle the 45 +P loads although they are not comfortable to shoot. Enjoy your pistol, it is a fine one!!!! Rugers revolvers are built hell for stout so I don't think you'll be able to wear it out!!!

Martin Suiter
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
It is a .45 colt. Is there a way to tell the age and model?
Martin

Alvarez Kelly
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
The "model" is stamped in the side. The "model" is either "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero"

As several have already pointed out, it is not a Bisley.

Once you have the serial number, you can find out when it was manufactured.

Martin Suiter
03-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Guys.
Martin

Bad Water Bill
03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
By the way WELCOME TO OUR HAPPY HOME

00buck
03-25-2013, 10:17 PM
You have a good cousin!

Martin Suiter
03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
He's more like a little brother. We have always been close.
Martin

nvbirdman
03-26-2013, 12:58 AM
You had good advice about not overtightening the grip screw, but on the Ruger forum they recommend buying an aluminum bushing at the hardware store that will fit over the screw and between the grips. It gives more surface area to tighten against. I don't know the size, but you can measure the length you need, and take the screw to the store with you.

CPL Lou
04-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I just got one of these too and was wondering if it was okay to use 'Ruger and T/C Contender Only' loads in it ? I'm not planning on a steady diet of them but it would be nice to try some deer hunting with it, if it can use the heavier loads. :bigsmyl2:
Sorry if I :hijack:

LUBEDUDE
04-02-2013, 12:27 AM
I just got one of these too and was wondering if it was okay to use 'Ruger and T/C Contender Only' loads in it ? I'm not planning on a steady diet of them but it would be nice to try some deer hunting with it, if it can use the heavier loads. :bigsmyl2:
Sorry if I :hijack:

TheCelt mentioned earlier that it depends if your model is a "Vaquero" or "New Vaquero". It will be stamped on your frame. No hot loads for the "New Vaquero".

While the TheCelt mentioned "Vaqueros" have the same frame as Blackhawk, the "New Vaqueros" are similar in size and feel to the smaller Colt SAA frame which is why Hot loads are not recommended.

CPL Lou
04-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Mine is the "New Vaquero". I did find some load info that will allow me to use it for hunting though that has been tested (Handloader Mag, April 2007).

Thanks !

44man
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Good, don't use hot loads but it will kill deer just fine---well, it is a .45 Colt after all.

Moonie
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
It is my understand that they have gone back to just "Vaquero" on the latest ones...

fcvan
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
I have two Vaqueros, a 45 Colt, and a 38-40/.40 S&W combo. Love them! The original production run of Vaqueros ran until 2005 after which they dropped some calibers and downsized the frame. See the link below to check your serial number to determine date of manufacture.

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Vaquero.html

Both of mine are stainless which will be a good thing when I shoot them with black powder. The 38-40 was new, and the 45 was used. The original owner replaced the factory grips with something checkered which are pretty hard on my hands when firing +P loads. Both sport the 4 5/8" barrel which is fine by me. If I pick up another it will likely have at least the 5 1/2" barrel.

Your new weapon is a piece of art and the grips look great. I hope you enjoy your as much as I do mine.