PDA

View Full Version : recommended reading material. .

zilla
03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Any recommendations on good reading/reference material on casting boolits? Internet isn't always available to me due to my location in the sticks so I always like to have a paper back up.

03-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd or 4th editions. I have both but much prefer the third.

TCLouis
03-24-2013, 11:44 PM
+1 on what 462 said on both issues.

Add the NRA Cast Bullet (Yes NRA misspells BOOLIT) paperback.

HangFireW8
03-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Going back in time a little more....

Complete Guide to Handloading by Philip B Sharpe

geargnasher
03-25-2013, 12:39 AM
RCBS published some good books on casting too if you can find them. Lyman Cast #3 is a staple for beginners. Do read the text several times, it's a lot to digest if you're new to the game.

You can download and print the ebook From Ingot to Target from the lasc website, there's a sticky here in the castboolits forum with a link. Not everyone will agree that the info is perfect, but a whole lot of it is very much spot-on. You can take anything Glenn Fryxell says to the bank.

Whatever you do, keep an open mind as you'll find a lot of different ways of doing the same thing. Try stuff for yourself and determine what works best for you, ultimately it's your guns, your tools, your skills, and your understanding that will determine what works best for you, but might not work as well for someone else. Never stop learning or draw firm conclusions that limit your growth!

Gear

dromia
03-25-2013, 04:26 AM
Yep all the Lyman books and the RCBS one, The NRA Cast Bullet book and for a good contemporary view all of Fryxells writings over on LASC.

Of course there is some cracking articles on our sister site Cast Pics and you are reading the best repository of cast boolit knowledge and thinking on the planet right here.

JSAND
03-25-2013, 04:53 AM
+1 on the Lyman's.

sthwestvictoria
03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Add the NRA Cast Bullet (Yes NRA misspells BOOLIT) paperback.

Both of these are available on the Castpic website as PDF to read on a computer or eBook reader:

www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/NRA_IRH.pdf
http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/complete_guide_to_handloading%20-%20sharpe%20-%201937.pdf
Another good source of electronic reading is on paco kelly's leverguns site:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Default.htm

I have been lucky enough to glom onto a copy of the Lyman 3rd which does have different data compared to the 4th. The 3rd has a great preface about the history of reloading, focusing on the Ideal company (why can't I purchase a No 4 Tool in 30-30?). THe data in the 3rd probably on balance represents a fast powder preference (lots of unique) while the 4th has fast powders and some slower (4227 and 4198).

The Lee Manual provides a good amount of cast load data, the casting information is similar to what comes with a mold, Richard Lee's take on pressure and his 1grain/percent pressure reduction method is interesting to read about.

FLHTC
03-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Going back in time a little more....

That...........is a good book!

zilla
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Exellent information. Ill look online for those pdf's and see if I can locate the lymans books still locally or online. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

308Man
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Read glen fryxell book

M-Tecs
03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
sthwestvictoria thanks for the links.

mrblue
03-26-2013, 11:42 PM
If you search or know ur way around the internet you can find some of those books via websites so you dont have to go out and buy em

zilla
03-29-2013, 04:40 AM
If you search or know ur way around the internet you can find some of those books via websites so you dont have to go out and buy em
As long as I am able to view them offline or download it for later viewing it will work. Otherwise I'm still hit and miss with my Internet availability once I get home.

MtGun44
03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Glen Fryxell's book online is superb and well worth reading
the whole thing in detail.

Bill

Piedmont
03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't want to be without Veral Smith's (LBT) little book. I've been periodically rereading it for the last twenty years. Packed full of good information.

landers
03-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I didn't see this one on anyones post, "The Art of Bullet Casting" collection from Wolf Publishing. Every time I read something from this collection of four books a light bulb goes on for me. Unfortunately it is only available on DVD now but with so much information in one place it is a resource that is always used. The other, as others have mentioned, is anything from Glenn Fryxell.

btroj
03-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Reading is good but it will never replace first hand experience.
Try different things. See what works. See what leading is! Anything ou learn the hard way will stick with you forever.
Reading books gives you the basics. Doing gives you the real skills to do well and learn.