PDA

View Full Version : Let's stick our hands in molten lead

nitrohuck
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
So here is an interesting flick,

as a matter of fact, the most surprising part of this video to me is that I thought water + molten lead = explosion? I've read that even as much as a drop of sweat off a caster's brow could be enough to throw molten lead outwards, so why not here? anyway, fun to watch, ummm don't try this at home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOCAd2QhGg

williamwaco
03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
YIKES!

I have a real problem with that.

If I drop a drop of water on the surface of the melted pot, it will just sizzle and bounce around.

I would not waste a good sausage to test it but I know if I drop a bullet into the melt that is even moderately damp, the steam causes an instant steam explosion.

Can you spell "tinsel"?

Anyone going to waste a good sausage?

canyon-ghost
03-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Not just no but, no way on earth!

Sweetpea
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Well slap my a$$ and call me stupid, but I'm gonna pass on that one!:shock:

theperfessor
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I saw that "Mythbusters" episode. I understand how and why it works. I don't plan to try it. It doesn't explode because the pressure is vented up along the finger. The lead doesn't close up over the water like it does when you drop in a wet bullet.

williamwaco
03-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I saw that "Mythbusters" episode. I understand how and why it works. I don't plan to try it. It doesn't explode because the pressure is vented up along the finger. The lead doesn't close up over the water like it does when you drop in a wet bullet.

Good answer!

crawfobj
03-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Not a chance. Someone needs to write them about the tinsel fairy. Surprised they weren't using at least more protective gear.

crawfobj
03-24-2013, 10:58 PM

They don't call you the perfessor for nothing!

nhrifle
03-24-2013, 11:02 PM
The physics behind that are sound. A steam cushion protects the skin...yada yada yada... same thing as walking on hot coals. Not for me, no thanks.

Think that's nut? Try one of these on for size. Be sure to check out the video.

http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works/

Wilkie
03-24-2013, 11:31 PM
what I wonder is how many tinsel fairies showed up around the country after this aired after other people tried it?

RKJ
03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
We've got those Saw stops on the table saws at the local technical school where I sub and we've watched that video. It's pretty amazing. The inventor has a lot of nerve!

mdi
03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Just goes to show ya that the "explosion from a drop of sweat" is just a myth...

Shiloh
03-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Let's not.

Shiloh

Bad Water Bill
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Lets NOT and just stay safe.

Got hit by that lady when I was a kid and for years LITTLE pieces of lead were still working their way out of my forehead.

edler7
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't think their knowledge of physics is much better than their gun knowledge- and what they know about guns is pretty lacking from what I have seen.

Those guys are a couple of hacks, in my book.

newton
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
While I am not saying its a good idea...there is merit to their testing. After all, we would all not have a common bond if it were for that one person who decided to stuff some explosives in a barrel and then some lead down on top of it, and then set it off.

Sure, you can experiment so far, but eventually you have to take a calculated risk. We still do even today. Take safeguards, but in the end life is a constant risk in and of itself.

I'll Make Mine
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
After all, we would all not have a common bond if it were for that one person who decided to stuff some explosives in a barrel and then some lead down on top of it, and then set it off.

Actually, I think it's virtually certain that the invention of the gun was an accident occurring with a Chinese firework rocket or "fire arrow" rocket weapon. They made rockets (themselves probably an accidental discovery by someone making a firework fountain) by packing gunpowder into bamboo tubes with a hole cut in one of the joints and a plug in the other end. At some point, someone (whether in China or Europe, which got gunpowder from China in the 14th century, along with fireworks and rockets) must have noticed that the plug could blow out with considerable velocity if the powder wasn't packed hard enough -- and taken the trouble to reproduce the effect.

Much more in the usual spirit of Mythbusters, IMO. I think Jamie, especially, actually knows more about guns than they let on in the show; he and Adam are both competent shots, but some of what they test (like shooting into water -- I wouldn't have predicted one of their accidental results, i.e. complete destruction of their shop test rig) is really on the cutting edge, at least for those who don't publish in peer reviewed scientific or engineering journals (or read them).

Back on topic -- no, I'm not interested at all in dipping my hand into molten lead, no matter how much confidence I have in the physics, but I wouldn't expect to see a tinsel fairy visit from someone doing so, either, unless they left their hand in there long enough to start boiling the water out of their tissues (which would be enough steam to overcome the venting along the skin -- not to mention an amputation in the making). Done correctly, this stunt is no more hazardous to the performer than dipping a hand into liquid nitrogen -- which I also have no desire to emulate.

cbrick
03-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Let's stick our hands in molten lead

Um, hhmmm, well, um, hhmmm . . .

NO!

Rick

MtGun44
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM
I saw the episode, too and (as usual) the perfesser nails it. HOWEVER - on the off chance that
I were to get it slightly wrong, and when looking at the possible consequences. . . . .

Nope. Not going to try with my hand.

Bill