PDA

View Full Version : Kinda tough today

Idaho Mule
03-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Went over to my friend Karl's to get 3 steers I had bought to feed out. Picked up Karl and headed to the scale to weigh pick-up and trailer, then back to the corral where the steers were. Making a left turn off the highway an old lady tried to pass me and cratered into the side of my pick-up. Fortunately it was at fairly low speed, no one was injured and neither rig is hurt too bad. All I really got is a bent running board, mudflap thing. Her car had a slightly distorted plastic bumper and some scratches. We exchanged info in case anyone needs repairs and when on about our business. I felt so sorry for her, she was pretty shaken up. Continued on and got the calves home and parked in my corral where they will reside for the next 6 months. All is settled down now and wife has me watching over an elk roast on the barbie. Should be some good dinner her in a bit. JW

LUCKYDAWG13
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
my Dad used to say noone got killed or lost in arm or a leg
it can be fixed no big deal

km101
03-24-2013, 08:57 PM
It's aggravating, but it's just sheet metal! Glad you're OK! A pilot friend of mine says that car wrecks are like bad landings.........any one that you can walk away from is a good one!

MtGun44
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Good news. Things can be fixed or replaced. Not so much for people.

Bill

SlippShodd
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Several years ago, the phone rings at work and the caller ID says it's my home phone calling. It's late afternoon, so I figure it's my wife calling to tell me she went home early. I answer the phone with some smart-@$$ comment that I'm famous for, there's a pause, and then a man's voice says, "This is Sergeant Soandso of the Meridian Police Department. Does anyone there know (insert my wife's name here)?" What with the sudden panic buzzing in my head (this is not a good way to start a conversation) I can't recall much of what he said after that, until he got to the part about a lady driving her car through my house. (not my wife) I told him I'd be home in 6 minutes and did just that.
I get home and there's cop cars and ambulances and neighbors and a Toyota Camry in my kitchen. Through the double garage door, jumped the foundation, punched the washer and dryer through the kitchen wall and into the pantry, knocked the furnace off the pedestal and moved the water heater a skoshie. In other words, utter chaos.
This older woman comes up to me, just blubbering and apologizing, and promising to pay and apologizing and blubbering and apologizing. I stopped her and asked if she was okay? Yes, she was fine. Was there anyone else in the car with you? Yes, her 4-year old grandaughter. Is she okay? Yes.
I looked at her and said, "Then that's all that matters, because the rest of this is just stuff, and stuff can be replaced."
She seemed a little bewildered by my reaction, but it was the truth.
Even though it turned into a huge PITA to get it all cleaned up, settled and fixed. :) But, I stand by what I said.
(oh, and the reason for the weird phone call is because the resourceful cop crawled over the car to get in the house and found my wife's cell phone bill on the counter. He opened it and called the most frequently dialed number listed)

mike

MT Chambers
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
This is all fine and dandy but, bad drivers kill people, maybe not this time, but..............

TXGunNut
03-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Bent metal and broken plastic happen, selling new stuff makes up part of my livelihood. It's just cars & trucks, quite a few new ones have rolled off the assembly line since yours was bent up and parts for your truck are waiting on a shelf somewhere. Nobody got hurt, the rest is just paperwork and a bit of time in a good bodyshop.

Idaho Mule
03-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Well thanks for all the comments guys. Yes I realize it was only a little plastic and metal damage, thank goodness no one was hurt. Heck, I think I can flatten the little mud flap thing that got bent on my pick-up with very little trouble and just bolt it back on. I was concerned for that poor old lady, she was shaken up, nervous. She was afraid the cops would take her license and not let her drive anymore. I got her phone # and address so I will go check on her in a couple days, she only lives about 6 miles from me. Slip-Shod, your incident sounded pretty severe, I sure hope it all got fixed ok. Sounds like one could write a pretty entertaining poem about that one, kinda like some colorful mule wrecks I've been privy to. JW