PDA

View Full Version : 7.82 case

Philngruvy
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I acquired a bucket of brass of mixed 7.62 and 30-06 the other day. When I got to the bottom of the bucket, I found a handful of badly tarnished brass, so I did the lemishine treatment. While drying the cleaned brass, I noticed that four of the cases were different than the 7.62 and 30-06. The first picture shows the 7.82 between a 30-06 on left and 7.62 on right. The other pictures show the headstamp with the number 44 which I assumed was the year of manufacture. Can anybody give me some information about this round?

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Interesting.

runfiverun
03-24-2013, 11:27 AM
umm change that to a 7.92
it should be @ 4mm shorter than the 0-6 and 6 mm longer than the 0-8.

Combat Diver
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Concur looks like a 7.92x57mm made in 1944. aka 8mm Mauser case.

CD

Philngruvy
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
You guys are awesome!!! My eyes are not what they used to be. Upon seeing the replies, I looked closer with a magnifier and it is in fact 7.92, not 7.82!

fatelk
03-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Yep, Canadian surplus 8mm Mauser. It's good brass- boxer primed.

DeanWinchester
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Yup, 7,92x57 is 8mm Mauser.

7,82 is a Lazzeroni cartridge(s)

Adam10mm
03-26-2013, 10:32 AM
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

frkelly74
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I have some of those and have been using them in my 8mm rifles. I wondered where they came from. Why did the Canadians have surplus 8mm ammo? For as old as it is it sure works great.

I think it might be Musgrave Manufacturing in South Africa , from that chart.

BruceB
03-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Why did the Canadians have surplus 8mm ammo?

For a while, they used the "BESA" machine-gun in 8mm on some armored vehicles, rather than adapting it to their then-standard .303 rifle cartridge. The Brits did the same thing. Canadian 7.92 was reputed to be VERY hot-loaded. All Canuck ammo was of very high quality.

gew98
03-26-2013, 09:15 PM
I've never found the canuck 7,92 sS patronen to be hot at all. I've shot over a thousand rounds of it and reloaded that brass until they split or formed cracks It's good boxer brass but corrosive primed. I've had a handfull of wartime Kynoch 7,92 ( berdan/corrosive ) and it was not hot either. The brit cupronuckel jackets though seemed to leave a bit of fouling though.

fatelk
03-27-2013, 12:54 AM
It's good boxer brass but corrosive primed

Actually it isn't corrosive. I did some testing a couple years ago on a bunch of different types of surplus ammo to determine what was corrosive and what wasn't.

I took a long strip of steel and sanded it to bare metal. I then pulled the bullets, cleaned and dried the bores between shots, and popped the primers close to the steel, then labeled everything and sat it out on the patio to rust away. I used known corrosive WWII 30-06 and new primers in clean cases for controls on both sides. The known corrosive controls turned into big rust spots pretty quick, while the non-corrosive ones stayed clean.

The "7.92 MM" Canadian ammo I have is definitely non-corrosive. I was surprised. The Israeli 8mm I tested with it (also nice boxer brass) was definitely corrosive.

gew98
03-27-2013, 09:37 AM
My experiance runs contrary to yours. I have had it corrode cases if not cleaned and tumbled after too long of firing. Had it frost a bore on one of my beaters as well. I have shot gobs of canadian 303 , 9mm & 455 WW2 dated ammo and they were all corrosive as well.
I've shot up several thousand rounds of the Israeli 7,92 and loved it !. I still reload alot of that brass...good stuff !. I never let that brass or th ebores sit long enough to figure if it was corrosive , but assumed it was just to be safe. All my Israeli 7,92 brass is dated in th emid to late 1950's. The only known to me non corrosive primed mil ammo of WW2 was 30 caliber Carbine and some various lots of german 7,92 that they used non corrosive priming - not terribly common.

Actually it isn't corrosive. I did some testing a couple years ago on a bunch of different types of surplus ammo to determine what was corrosive and what wasn't.

I took a long strip of steel and sanded it to bare metal. I then pulled the bullets, cleaned and dried the bores between shots, and popped the primers close to the steel, then labeled everything and sat it out on the patio to rust away. I used known corrosive WWII 30-06 and new primers in clean cases for controls on both sides. The known corrosive controls turned into big rust spots pretty quick, while the non-corrosive ones stayed clean.

The "7.92 MM" Canadian ammo I have is definitely non-corrosive. I was surprised. The Israeli 8mm I tested with it (also nice boxer brass) was definitely corrosive.

Philngruvy
03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
I think it might be Musgrave Manufacturing in South Africa , from that chart.
I was wondering the same thing. In the chart mentioned, it looks like M.M, but the cases I have that are pictured in OP, it is MM without the dot. So why do some of you think this is Canadian in origin?

Blacksmith
03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
This site is in Spanish but shows that head stamp as Canadian for clandestine operations.
http://www.municion.org/

On the left side click on:
:.Fuego Central / CF
then click
::.>7.65 a 8 mm /.32"
then scroll down and click on
7.92x57 L-P
then on the right side scroll down to the head stamp
M M
7.92 44

Here is a translation of what it says:
"Dominion Cartridge Co. Ltd., Montreal. Cartridge with discrete marking for clandestine operations. Speculated they were orders of the CIA, but they appear all over the world even in places where it is not likely that this agency distribute weapons or ammunition. Possibly, the actual date is marking + 10 years. PHOTO: VLAD"

fatelk
03-28-2013, 01:10 AM
So why do some of you think this is Canadian in origin?

It used to be fairly common surplus, and well known as Canadian. I've seen knowledgeable collectors ID it as Canadian ammo without hesitation. There really is no doubt.

As to the actual date of manufacture, I remember reading a couple articles as to when or why it was produced, and seen some speculation that it was actually made in the '50s, but beyond what I've read I haven't a clue.

As to "corrosiveness"; back when I used to shoot it I always treated it as corrosive because I assumed it was, so I was surprised when my little test indicated that it wasn't. Based on your experience I will play it safe and keep cleaning the bore, just in case. I don't have much left any more so it doesn't matter much.

I remember reading that a lot of late-WWII Canadian 30-06 ammo was non-corrosive, so I wonder when they switched over, and if some of this 8mm is and some isn't?

Philngruvy
03-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Very impressive job of research there. Once again, I am amazed at the resource of knowledge that abounds within the membership here. Thank you all.