PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Ponies

Love Life
03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Colt firearms to be more specific.

As I gain years, I find myself more and more changing all of my handguns over to ones that have Rampant Colts on them. I'm not sure why yet, but maybe some day I will.

So I am chasing elusive ponies. Every time I get a hot tip, I always show up too late or I have moths flying out of my wallet. I'm still chasing that pony...

It seems that through the years Colt handguns have become my unicorn, my big foot, my chupacabra. That mythical creature that people say exists, but has never been seen.

As I sit here and wax eloquent, I must ask, what is your big foot of the firearms world? What is that one brand name, action type, material, caliber that you are always chasing? Always on the look out for? Constantly pining for, but rarely able to get?

Swamp Man
03-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Savage 24 410/22lr in mint or near mint cond. Most of them I run across are in rough shape or sold by the time I find out about it.

runfiverun
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
dan Wesson revolvers.
I have 8 now and extra barrels and stocks and stuff. [and have had 6-7 others]
but there is a pile more i'd like to get.

and win 92's and their clones [seriously how many lever guns does one need?]

Swamp Man
03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
and win 92's and their clones [seriously how many lever guns does one need?] Oh at least a few more and then a few more after that.

Idaho Mule
03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Glad you asked, my Holy Grail is a Marlin 1894 FG in 41 Mag. For whatever silly reason this is the one I seek the most. I love the cartridge and have 2 Ruger handguns, a BH and a RH, but I have always pined for a lever in 41.One day I shall adopt one, but until then I will just hope and dream. JW

Love Life
03-24-2013, 01:06 AM
I'll keep an eye out for you Idaho Mule. One pops up in the sales paper here about 3 times a year from the same guy. It has been in the paper for the last 2 years so far...

.22-10-45
03-24-2013, 02:22 AM
I like rampant ponies too! Nice condition long barreled Bisleys get my attention! But there is one firearm I had been looking for since the 1970's...a Winchester 1895..not the one most guys think of..box magazine levergun..the "other" Winchester 95...Winchester-Lee straight-pull sporting rifle in .236 (6mm) Lee-navy. (Official U.S. navy rifle...1st. combat between U.S. forces and Spanish, when Marines took a little bay in Cuba called Guantanimo). Finally found one.

wch
03-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Winchester Model 1885!

rush1886
03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
An original Winchester 1886 in 50.110 Express. Over the years, I've managed to fondle 2 of them. I was in the right place both times, but working in construction, both opportunities came during seasonal layoffs, so definetly a dollar, or more, short!

Idaho Mule
03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you Idaho Mule. One pops up in the sales paper here about 3 times a year from the same guy. It has been in the paper for the last 2 years so far...

Awsome Love Life, I would greatly appreciate that. And by the way R5R, one can never have too many levers. JW

SlippShodd
03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Most of my unicorns have been dancing ponies without the antler as well. There's a looong, sad story involving a 6" Python. Can't afford an original SAA, so settle for clones. I still can't walk past a Woodsman without picking it up, but I own 3 so ??? My worst example is trying to buy the gun used in an armed robbery with me on the wrong end of the gun. In a nutshell, guy robs me with a SA Colt Buntline Special in .22 that he stole from a gun shop a few blocks from the store that I worked in. It was 1978, I was a 19 year old college student working retail part time. BTW, .22 looks like .44 under those circumstances. They catch the guy, fast forward half a year or so while the courts dick around. Finally sentence the guy and the gun will be released eventually to the original shop. I've literally been checking in once a week with the owner the entire time, telling him I want the gun when he gets it back -- nope still hasn't got it. One day I stop in -- Yeah, I got it back and sold it. [smilie=b: [smilie=b: [smilie=b: I called him everything but a Singer sewing machine. Bought a gun like it somewhere else, but the ex took that one with her. >sigh< But, I'm not bitter...
The first 3 posts in this thread struck a chord with me. If I'd had a Savage 24 when I was a kid, I would have ruled the world. I've bought and sold half a dozen over the years and never thought to keep one for myself. I kinda regret that about a couple of them. Dan Wesson was the first centerfire handgun I ever bought for myself, in lieu of the aforementioned Python. Still have my great-grandad's '92 in .25-20 and still think it was the superior lever-action design of all time.

So many guns, so many mortgage payments to make...

mike

km101
03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
You would think mine would be easy to find, at least I did when I started. But for the last 5 years I have been unable to find a Smith&Wesson Model 60 Chief Special in .357 with a 3" barrel. It has to be a "pre-keyhole" gun as I will not buy anything Smith makes that has a keyhole! (worst move they ever made!) I had one for several years and let it get away, and now I cant find another.

It's a great little sidearm to carry in the field when hunting or outside doing chores, small, fairly light, plenty of punch, and with the 3" barrel its very accurate. I wish I could find another one, but everything I find now has the ugly keyhole and the crappy trigger pull that it carries with it. But I'll keep looking.

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I guess I've always loved Colt SAA's, blame it on too many Westerns on TV and movies. I carried a Series 70 1911 for many years and love the prancing pony on the slide. I long ago bought a 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk (BiCentennial marked!) in 45 Colt partly because it looked a little like a Colt and is a damned fine gun in it's own right...but it's not a Colt.
Bought a Uberti Bird's Head in 45 Colt because it looks a lot like a Colt and it was cheap and fun, easy on the eyes as well. Bought a Cimmaron/Uberti 4 3/4" Old Model in 45 Colt because it made a nice sister for the Bird's Head. Had lots of fun shooting them with BP & lead. But even tho they looked like Colts, they weren't.
A few weeks ago a project rifle became trading material and I hadn't bought a gun all year. Cabelas had an impressive collection of SAA's, and they were sure 'nuff Colts! The 3rd gen Colt I wanted didn't pass inspection, it was a weak 95% gun with a blemish I couldn't live with. There was another 3rd gen nearby and it was in NIB condition, only $100 more. Oh yes, it's chambered for 45 Colt. Only thing that keeps this story from having a fairytale ending is that I haven't shot her yet.
I'll be eating rice, beans & taters for awhile but I finally caught my pony!

Only problem is I've been reading every 92 thread posted for the last few months. Dunno how many leverguns I have but I'm sure there's not a 92 in the bunch. When I catch that pony it may occur to me that I don't have a '73.....or '86....or '95. Actually I have a Marlin 1895, looks a bit like a Winchester 1895........;)

Love Life
03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
TxGunNut- Thank you for finding the SAA I lost in that boating accident in Texas!! Go ahead and box her up and I'll send you the money for shipping...

Swamp Man
03-24-2013, 03:51 PM
The first 3 posts in this thread struck a chord with me. If I'd had a Savage 24 when I was a kid, I would have ruled the world. I've bought and sold half a dozen over the years and never thought to keep one for myself. I kinda regret that about a couple of them. I have one that my father gave me for my 12th birthday 22lr/410 and I still love shooting that gun. My father is gone ever time I pick that gun up it brings back memories of the good times we shared on our hunting trips together.

SlippShodd
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I have one that my father gave me for my 12th birthday 22lr/410 and I still love shooting that gun. My father is gone ever time I pick that gun up it brings back memories of the good times we shared on our hunting trips together.

When I was a kid growing up on a 1600 acre shooting range (the adults persisted in referring to it as a ranch) my daily companions were my dog, my horse, and either a single-shot Mossberg .22 or my Stevens 20-gauge, depending on the season and the circumstances. Later there was the 1941 vintage Woodsman that I found lurking in the bowels of my old man's gun cabinet. Had I had access to a single gun that could fire either shot or solid, combined with the pistol on my hip? Well...

...heh, heh, heh.

mike

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
TxGunNut- Thank you for finding the SAA I lost in that boating accident in Texas!! Go ahead and box her up and I'll send you the money for shipping...

Could be, kinda doubt it since it's likely been sitting in a safe since before Gunsmoke had its first rerun. I seem to have lost the raggedy old box and it had the wrong book in it anyways. Go ahead and mail me a check for shipping anyways, tho quite honestly I'd probably blow it on gas or groceries. :kidding:
I need to fire up my furnace and cast a big pile of fat pistol boolits, all these 45's are looking pretty hungry. I'll let you know when I get them loaded, mebbe you can make it down to help me break in your old gun. ;-)

John Allen
03-24-2013, 04:57 PM
An original Winchester 1886 in 50.110 Express. Over the years, I've managed to fondle 2 of them. I was in the right place both times, but working in construction, both opportunities came during seasonal layoffs, so definetly a dollar, or more, short!

This is a good one. Me too

geargnasher
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Marlin pre-safety lever guns. Winchester CRF bolt guns. Savage bolt guns are nice, too. OM Blackhawks. Pre-1985 10/22s. Remington Rollers. Shiloh Sharps. The 1872 Open Top.

"...These are a few of my favourite things..."

Gear

shooter93
03-24-2013, 07:46 PM
I pretty much have everything I want. I do have a fleet of Colt SAA's but I will still pick them up at times because you can't have enough of them. Aside from that I just need the guns I have started.....finished.

Reverend Al
03-25-2013, 02:34 AM
... and win 92's and their clones [seriously how many lever guns does one need?]

My best friend and hunting partner Terry always used to say: "Lots is good, more is better, and too much is ALMOST enough!"
:smile:

Ajax
03-25-2013, 06:14 AM
For me its the 1903A3 in original configuration. I have wanted one forever. I will get one some day but like y'all either they aren't in the condition I am looking for or I don't have the money.

Andy

Lead Fred
03-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Marlin pre-safety lever guns.

That would be pre cross bolt safety, they have always had a half cock safety.

I just yank out the CBS, and replace them with a saddle ring blank you can buy on the info web thingy.

The one that got away from me was a Parker-Hale Withworth rifle for $800, I had it in my hands, and didnt hold on to it :-(

captaint
03-25-2013, 06:58 AM
About 25 years ago I got a real bone for a Browning Superposed in 20 guage - 26 inch barrels, Improved & Modified. I wanted one bad. Either I didn't have the 12 hundred bux or couldn't find one at the time. Eventually, I got a Jap Miroku in 20 guage with 28 inch barrels. Has Charles Daly name on it. It is truly a thing to behold. Actually every bit as nice as the Brownings. It is, after all, a dead nuts copy. I have been completely satisfied since. I think, at the time, I paid 550 for the Daly. Love that gun. Mike

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Mine would be a Savage 99 in .38-55

bob208
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
i am always looking for special order 94 winchesters. will buy other winchester leaver guns too. i have quite a few of the ponies. new service 1911's op's and pps. but no saa.

the one trick that aways got me was there would be some one say i have my grandads old pistol i want to sell. i would dream of a saa or a new service. but it would always trun out to be a old top break ixl or iverjhonston in .32 or .38 s&w.

starbits
03-26-2013, 04:32 AM
I inherited a 1886 winchester in 38-56 cal. It was shipped from the factory in Sep 1887 serial # 8172. As far as I have been able to determine the first rifles chambered in 38-56 (a necked down 45-70) were in Jun 1887 so it was one of the first of its caliber. The 38-56 was also available in the 1895 Marlin (which I have) and the Colt lightning express a pump action rifle which I have never been able to afford. The one that got away though was a 94 winchester which had to be a special order because the 94 winchester was never produced in 38-56. It was the mid 1970's and there was an ad in shotgun news 94 winchester 38-56 with a presentation medalion to some indian chief. The stock was broken and repaired with rawhide. It cost a months salary which I didn't have. Six months later I tried to buy it, but it had sold. The one that got away.

Starbits

koehn,jim
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I collect WW2 issue 45acps. I have one from every maker except Singer. Thats right the sewing machine company they are said to have made 5000. but 4500 went down on a ship. There are said to be 500 in existance, I saw one once but the price was more than I could scrape up. Now that I am older and have some money, they are all in collections, but I keep checking auctions. Anyone got one for sale.

EMC45
03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Remington 141 in .35 Remington. Remington 760 in .35 Remington or .308 or .358. Remington 788 in 7MM-08. Smith 41. There are too many to list.........

EMC45
03-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I collect WW2 issue 45acps. I have one from every maker except Singer. Thats right the sewing machine company they are said to have made 5000. but 4500 went down on a ship. There are said to be 500 in existance, I saw one once but the price was more than I could scrape up. Now that I am older and have some money, they are all in collections, but I keep checking auctions. Anyone got one for sale.

My grandfather was a machinist at Singer in Elizabeth NJ when they made the 1911. It was an "education and training" program I guess to see how well they could be made there. I asked my Mom if she ever saw a big automatic pistol in the house in Linden NJ growing up when she was a kid and she said no. I asked "Are you sure"? No again. Rumor has it some of them went home in lunch boxes when the contract was scrapped.................

SlippShodd
03-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Remington 141 in .35 Remington. Remington 760 in .35 Remington or .308 Remington 788 in 7MM-08. There are too many to list.........

My wife's uncle died a few years ago and left everything to her. Two 141s and a 121 were the only guns he had left. I kept the 121 'cuz I've always had a soft spot for them and will eventually end up with 3 of them. The 141s were in .30 and .35 and we gave them to her brother as a peace offering :). I might could check with him to see if he thinks they're just cluttering up his gun safe?
I wish I still had the 760 in .308... my uncle's gun and killed my first deer with it. I worked a trade for him for a 742 in '06. Shoulda kept the 760.
My 788 is in 22-250 and is a cold, dead hands kind of gun for me. :wink:

mike

SGTM9
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Mine are a 2 inch barrel 44mag. No idea why just always wanted one. And an Original Thompson.

OeldeWolf
03-31-2013, 02:07 AM
I havealways wanted an actual target quality rifle. Have never been able to afford one.

But I do have a 1909 Mauser Argentina with metal work that is pristine. Really shows what the pre WWI Mausers were like, before they git shot out. I have not yet found another bolt gun so silky smooth. Really shows how they made their reputation.