PDA

View Full Version : Problems with lee .45 sizer.

cs86
03-23-2013, 11:36 PM
So i bought a lee push through sizer originally that sized my boolits to .451. I was thinking my leading problem may have been coming from a boolit that was to small. So instead of trying to modify the sizer to open it up to .452 I decided to order one that was suppose to be .452. I wanted the manufactures stamp to represent what the sizer was intended for and so that I could sell it with the proper stamp if it came down to it. After I sized some bullets with the .452 sizer I took a measurement and they are sizing at .451.

So the big question is, do I try and modify it myself? I really don't want to have to send it back or wait for another one to ship to me. Is there an easy way I can open the diameter up to the appropriate dimension and give it a good finish?

Down South
03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I would. It's easy to do with a wooden dowel and fine wet emery cloth. Take a little little at a time and check often.

Recluse
03-24-2013, 02:37 AM
I'd send it back to Lee. Their quality control sucks, but they'll tell you that it's never been better. Make them eat it and send you one that works and does as it is described and advertised to do.

:coffee:

Cane_man
03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
you are Lee quality control, at least that is my expectation when i buy Lee! newby here but a good tip i learned here early on, it is easy to open it up with some valve grinding compound... take 5 bullets, coat them with compound, and push them through... about 5 bullets is a "string" as that is the number of bullets that it takes before they start to fall out of the top of the die... push 5 strings through and then measure, each string of 5 pushed through 5 times will open it up about 0.001... when you are done opening up the die to your liking then take 5 more bullets and put some polishing compound on it (Flitz metal polish, etc.) and push that string through 5 times, clean out the die and you are good to go