PDA

View Full Version : Moon shine

koehn,jim
03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Has anybody seen it made, how was it speaking purely for science.

jmort
03-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Yes, and there are a lot of nice stills out there. Some "table top" models as well, all electric. 180 proof no problem.
Here are some links
http://www.brewhaus.com/
http://www.milehidistilling.com/
http://www.hillbillystills.com/
http://www.revenoor.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

justing
03-23-2013, 11:33 PM
i have a buddy that makes it's good stuff

runfiverun
03-24-2013, 01:03 AM
yep my uncle pershing had his own set up out in the old chicken coop.
I remember him giving me my first shot of it.
my pop still has his mini kitchen set-up that went on the wood stove.

Gliden07
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
My research shows you really don't want 180-190 proof if your gonna drink it 90-100 is more than enough. You can cut the Alcohol with good distilled water this is called "proofing" you need a hi alcohol hydrometer to do this. Also do not use Aluminium for any part of a still, there is some kind of chemical reaction that can poison you! You can distill any fermentation. My Great Grandfather walked of the boat from Italy and use to make "Grappa" in the fall. This was made with the second pressing of the wine grapes and unfortunately before my time! Thought about doing this but it is Illegal unless you distill water or get a licence from the feds to distill corn for an alternate fuel.

justing
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
my pop still has his mini kitchen set-up that went on the wood stove.
looks like its tome to wipe the dust off of it and fire it up.

waksupi
03-24-2013, 01:24 AM
I uh, have a passing acquaintance with the process....

Gliden07
03-24-2013, 01:34 AM
i uh, have a passing acquaintance with the process....

lol!!!

Houndog
03-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Maybe, whatcha need to know?

BTW: ANY still not made of 100% copper is a joke if you want good likker!

P.K.
03-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Maybe, whatcha need to know?

BTW: ANY still not made of 100% copper is a joke if you want good likker!

;-) Looking at a stovetop kit now, for Ethenol purposes only mind you!

koehn,jim
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
The unit I am building has a stainless steel pot but the rest is food grade copper. I hope to make some low grade, about 100 proof fuel for proper aging in oak barrells.

Kraschenbirn
03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Just the other day, in a local antique mall, I ran across a small, 'tabletop' set-up that kinda reminded me of a classic Irish 'poteen' still...cylindrical copper vessel, coiled copper tubing, and ceramic catcher jug. Didn't look like it would take an awful lot to get it working and I remember thinking..."wonder if they'll haggle on that price".

Bill

S&W-629
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
The unit I am building has a stainless steel pot but the rest is food grade copper. I hope to make some low grade, about 100 proof fuel for proper aging in oak barrells...............

LMAO.... Good one lol

Jim
03-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Franklin County, our neighboring county, is the moonshine capitol of the world and has been for many decades.

Most of these ol' boys around here use pot stills without thumpers. Pot stills are a lot easier to build, run, tear down and transport. When they're done with a 'run', they take the cap and condenser and abandon the rest in place. The cap and condenser are the most important parts, the rest of the still can be built with commonly available material.

The thumper makes a bit too much noise to suit these boys, so they choose to do without it. You'd be surprised how far that thumping sound will carry down a valley.

I've had the priveledge of seeing a 'run' being done and I think it's fascinating. Even with steel barrels, if it's properly done, the old masters can turn out some really smooth product.

The business continues to thrive into the 21st century.

km101
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
I uh, have a passing acquaintance with the process....

Yep, I've read a book on it, and seen it made once or twice, I forget where!

Philngruvy
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Here are some pics of a still that FIL left us. My wife was not happy with the background clutter in the pics! lol652136521465215

S&W-629
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Philngruvy Would you guys want to sell it ? lol

Philngruvy
03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Philngruvy Would you guys want to sell it ? lol

I was thinking more along the line of making a worm for it and cooking up some high octane!!!

S&W-629
03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
That's what I was thinking to lol

lcclower
03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
You all are making me wonder what really happens to all that deer corn.

S&W-629
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
The deer can get it all after we get done with it lol

Smitty's Retired
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Franklin County, our neighboring county, is the moonshine capitol of the world and has been for many decades.

Most of these ol' boys around here use pot stills without thumpers. Pot stills are a lot easier to build, run, tear down and transport. When they're done with a 'run', they take the cap and condenser and abandon the rest in place. The cap and condenser are the most important parts, the rest of the still can be built with commonly available material.

The thumper makes a bit too much noise to suit these boys, so they choose to do without it. You'd be surprised how far that thumping sound will carry down a valley.

I've had the priveledge of seeing a 'run' being done and I think it's fascinating. Even with steel barrels, if it's properly done, the old masters can turn out some really smooth product.

The business continues to thrive into the 21st century.

Yep, some places shine is still going pretty strong. My grandaddy used to tinker a bit. A lot of people (depending on how big a rig) don't like thumpers because of the noise, as well as large above ground boilers because depending on the plumbing, sometimes the rig will sing. A thumper's not really needed unless your wanting to run your rig hard and fast in case it pukes. But the thumper does work as a second distillation, but without one you can do several stripping runs then do a spirit run. Ahem, or so I've been told.:bigsmyl2:

P.K.
03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
You all are making me wonder what really happens to all that deer corn.

To feed the deer......near the blind of course.;-)

Jim
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Of course, you understand the only reason we have corn on hand is to feed the birds and squirrels, right? [smilie=1:

DLCTEX
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Careful with that mash, a drunk, rutty buck could be trouble. I'm talking deer, of course.

gray wolf
03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Last time I had any good shine was in the early 60,s Was stationed in Alabama
for Helicopter training. Would take a short walk into the boonies and meet up.
Cheap as helll for a glass jar Pint, still don't know how we got any work done.
I miss it--------------------the shine that is.

smokemjoe
03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
look up homedistiller.com

GabbyM
03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
made plenty of good beer. Nice part is that it's legal. plus it's better tasting.
Only thing I can think of that Pres. Jimmy Carter did right.

Rick N Bama
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
made plenty of good beer. Nice part is that it's legal. plus it's better tasting.

I hope you're speaking for yourself as making Beer & Wine are still illegial here in Alabama....yep even Mississippi is ahead of us in this matter.

Rick

koehn,jim
03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Guys thanks for the tips, I have a mash bubbling as I type this. Hope to run some off next weekend and see what kind of fuel I can get.

SciFiJim
03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
So what is a "thumper" and what does it do in the process of distillation?

wgr
03-24-2013, 11:40 PM
whats illegal about it?i can cook and eat my corn any way i like.:redneck:

Wal'
03-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Same question, I may be a bit naïve & haven't come across much in the way of moonshining down here in Oz.

Thumpers & rigs singing..............sounds like fun was had. ;)

TXGunNut
03-25-2013, 12:04 AM

Hope you didn't try any Billy Beer, there's a reason why there were so many unopened cans years after they quit making it.

Back on topic there were a few moonshiners still in business in a neighboring county back when I started my law enforcement career. A sheriff's deputy offered me a jar once but even back then I knew the difference between "drinkin' whiskey" and "sellin' whiskey" and somehow I doubted this deputy knew the difference. Thought it rather odd that he kept some in the trunk of his squad car, though.
Even did business with an old black bootlegger when I was in high school, actually with his 10 yr old "salesman". Little guy could double the price on the tag and make change all in his head. Hope he moved on to better things, sharp kid.

P.K.
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
So what is a "thumper" and what does it do in the process of distillation?

It's a step in the process to "purify" the steam or rather drop any excess from the cap and then on to the worm.

Just what I read mind you. Some as stated skip the thump keg and go straight to the worm and filter through cheese cloth...;-)

Rick N Bama
03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Is it true that the first part of the run is posion & has to be tossed away? If so, how does a fellow know when the good usable "fuel" starts coming out.

Jim
03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Popcorn Sutton, "The last run". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkoc5-9a-Y&list=PL7A2A2EEAF8F8A858)

This is a collection of 11 videos made about Popcorn Sutton, the most famous moonshiner that ever lived. Not only is this a real documentary about Popcorn, it will answer all your questions about the trade and how it's done. The collection runs about an hour and a half, but it will really take you back to how it was (and still is!) done.

Popcorn is gone now, but the tradition carries on up in these hills. If you're ever driving the roads of southwest Virginia and you smell cornbread in the air, that's a sure sign some of the best homemade whiskey ever made is comin' out the spout.

felix
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Various alcohols are made via the still. The ingredients of the must/mash determine which alcohols are possible. The only drinkable one is ethyl. Methyl is the going-blind kind up front, then death. The amyl alcohols (usually oily) are always produced by various yeasts, and most especially when not fed enough nitrogen during activity (corn products have good nitrogen levels, usually). The only guaranteed way to get ethyl ONLY is using the exact temperature of distillation for that desired product. This is where moonshiners typically fall down. Various flavors in the vodka (ethyl only) are due to these errors showing up. ... felix

Jim
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
look up homedistiller.com

HOME DISTILLER (http://homedistiller.org/intro)

I have the site on my favorites list and reference it quite often. I would say the only people that would have no need for it would be the professional and experienced Master Distillers with decades of experience. It is by far THE premier site for the hobby distiller.

S&W-629
03-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Every time I read this one I want to get drunk LOL

km101
03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Popcorn Sutton, "The last run". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkoc5-9a-Y&list=PL7A2A2EEAF8F8A858)

This is a collection of 11 videos made about Popcorn Sutton, the most famous moonshiner that ever lived. Not only is this a real documentary about Popcorn, it will answer all your questions about the trade and how it's done. The collection runs about an hour and a half, but it will really take you back to how it was (and still is!) done.

Popcorn is gone now, but the tradition carries on up in these hills. If you're ever driving the roads of southwest Virginia and you smell cornbread in the air, that's a sure sign some of the best homemade whiskey ever made is comin' out the spout.

The documentary I have recorded is titled "The Last One". It features Popcorn Sutton and clan and is a real how-to-do-it on moonshining. It covers still construction, operation, proofing the liquor and how to tell the proof. It runs fairly often on The Documentary Channel on cable or DirecTV. Well worth watching. Watch for it, you will really enjoy it even if you dont want to make moonshine. The man was VERY interesting. I have it recorded strictly for reference. And yes sir, Officer that is deer corn. I feed the deer year round. :)

swheeler
03-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I've drank a few gallons of shine, OK and AR stills both, some of it was mighty fine sqeezins.:)

elginrunner
03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I keep wanting to reply to this thread, but the little man in the back of my head keeps screaming "SHUT UP!!" [smilie=1:

nhrifle
03-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I keep wanting to reply to this thread, but the little man in the back of my head keeps screaming "SHUT UP!!" [smilie=1:

You absolutely positively cannot leave it at that....

x101airborne
03-29-2013, 02:31 AM
We used to feed our dairy cattle "brewers grain" in the winter. Came delivered in 18 wheelers and we stored it in a large concrete pit. It was the grain left over from Budweiser Brewing in Houston after they made a batch of beer. It smelled great for the first week after it was delivered.

10-x
03-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Need to try "Apple Pie" from Franklin County Virginia..best there is.

oneokie
03-29-2013, 09:21 AM

He sayin' "plead the 5th"?

B R Shooter
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Need to try "Apple Pie" from Franklin County Virginia..best there is.

I'm no expert on this, but I recently was given some, and it's very sweet, too sweet for my taste.

TES
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
B R Shooter that sounds like brandy not shine.

One shot of the 3rd run uncut with sweet tea is a great beverage on a hot day.

Hamish
03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Some of what is being talked about here combined with Elderberry syrup is a mighty fine way to cap off a good plate of BBQ. (or fish, or steak, or by itself,,,,,)

boltons75
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm no expert on this, but I recently was given some, and it's very sweet, too sweet for my taste.

I make Apple pie with everclear 190 proof. Some people make it with more sugar than needed. I only use half the amount of sugar in my mix.

Jim
03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
"Apple pie" is a flavoring used to cover the otherwise unpleasant taste of shine made by somebody that doesn't know how to do it right. Properly made shine has a cornbread taste and doesn't set off fire alarms in the back of your throat.

B R Shooter
03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
When I got it, a pint jar, it has a slice of apple and a piece of cinnamon in it. Should I shake it up? It's kinda cloudy as it is. Like I said, I don't know much about this.

Jim
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Just personal opinion, I'd be a little concerned about it being cloudy. But that's just me.

Katya Mullethov
03-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm invoking executive privilege .

gsdelong
03-29-2013, 09:45 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20last%20moonshiner%20documentary&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMarvin_ Sutton&ei=UkNWUeXQApGj4APIzYCgDw&usg=AFQjCNHBOAWSCHIVHIZiHwzFi53V0pPHng&bvm=bv.44442042,d.dmg

10-x
03-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Gee, was just talking about Apple Pie, now there's a whole list of other flavors plus the Straight. The apples, cherries, blueberry, peaches in the jar are for flavor? There's a guy in Statesboro down this way that makes some too.

Jim
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
.....The apples, cherries, blueberry, peaches in the jar are for flavor?.....

I can't think of any other purpose it would serve. This stuff has been made for hundreds of years without 'flavoring'. Like I said, if it's made right, it IS flavored.

Bulltipper
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
I can't think of any other purpose it would serve. This stuff has been made for hundreds of years without 'flavoring'. Like I said, if it's made right, it IS flavored.

YEP!

Katya Mullethov
03-29-2013, 10:26 PM

And if Jack Daniels was cut right , rather than taken off one point of the column on a continuous distillation as per Felix's advise , they wouldn't need to filter it through several feet of charcoal .

There is no accounting for taste , and lots of folks would rather rather drink soda vs water , and are easily enticed to buy packets of flavoring to ad to their drinking water . Macerating an apple or even a prickly pear tuna in a jar of neutral spirits can only serve to enhance or at least change it for the "better" , and is not in itself an indication of poor quality control .

waksupi
03-29-2013, 11:51 PM
I always liked straight, until my X put a twist of sweet grass in a gallon once. It became a steady habit after that. Or so I heard someone say.

geargnasher
03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
I like peat-smoked malt flavor together with the scum from the inside of a moldy xeres cask myself. There really IS no accounting for taste.

Gear

TXGunNut
03-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Good whiskey doesn't need a thing. I'm partial to a good single malt Scotch with mebbe an ice cube or a dash of cool water. A really good tequila should be sipped straight from the glass, if you want to make margaritas I'll show you where I keep the Cuervo. Sounds like good 'shine doesn't need much help either.

geargnasher
03-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Water for cask strength and whisky stones for 80-proof. Amazing how a little water can unlock some of the more subtle flavors otherwise missed. Same goes for good 'shine, but (ahem!) I wouldn't know about that.....

Gear

Smitty's Retired
03-30-2013, 04:17 AM
Gear, would that be the Granite Whiskey Stones, or do you prefer the ones made from soapstone? Just have to be careful if poppin' back shots.:drinks:

elginrunner
03-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Good shine, not that pansy stuff they sell in the stores, is more clear than any water you've ever saw, and has no burn, or aftertaste. Just a warm pleasant feeling on the way down. However, I was told when I was younger. Boy you take more than two sips, you toss your keys on top of the house.