PDA

View Full Version : New Lee mould, now what????

CobraMan
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I bought a new Lee 45 cal, 230 gr, rn, 2 cavity mold, before I used it, I cleaned the cavities with rubbing alcohol, smoked the cavities, poured 2, knocked the spruce plate over and lubed the correct areas with Bullshop spruce lube, 2 boolits fell out, perfect. I proceded to pour 200 boolits, great, I am done for now. My question is: Next time before I want to pour, Do I not clean the mold and just pour? Do I clean the mold and smoke it before I pour again, or clean the mold and not smoke it?

Buzz64
03-23-2013, 04:40 PM
You should not need to 'clean' it again or smoke it. Bullplate will probably need to go on the top of the blocks and spru plate.

GaryN
03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
I would use bullplate on both sides of the spruce plate and on the locator pins. Just don't get any in the cavities. And I never smoke a mold.

mrblue
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I've tried two brand new molds both by lee two different ways, of smoking one and not smoking one. I found if i did less work to the one, that i did not smoke, it dropped better boolits.

snuffy
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
I bought a new Lee 45 cal, 230 gr, rn, 2 cavity mold, before I used it, I cleaned the cavities with rubbing alcohol, smoked the cavities, poured 2, knocked the spruce plate over and lubed the correct areas with Bullshop spruce lube, 2 boolits fell out, perfect. I proceeded to pour 200 boolits, great, I am done for now. My question is: Next time before I want to pour, Do I not clean the mold and just pour? Do I clean the mold and smoke it before I pour again, or clean the mold and not smoke it?

A spruce is an evergreen tree. sprue.

Forget the smoke. You're not smoking meat, you're making BOOLITS. Cleaning a new mold is to remove the machining lubricant residue from the cavities. You should be using a De-greasing dish soap, some of the lubricants are water based. If you're getting clean NOT wrinkled boolits, then you will not need to clean again.

Be very careful with the bullplate lube, it can migrate to the cavities, AND it will not burn off. Which is what makes it valuable for mold/sprue plate lube.

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks snuffy for the correction on sprue and the other info. I am getting clean, excellent boolits. I just can not be happy enough with the Lee mould, I performed my second pour of a couple hundred boolits last night and they came out excellent. I am very careful with the bullplate lube.

leadman
03-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Looks like you are producing some excellent boolits there.

white eagle
03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I have never cleaned a single mold just heat em up and pour
make bullets buy more molds heat em up pour well you know
unless they are covered with machine oil its a waste of time
if you get a few bad boolits toss em back in the pot after all practice makes, well practice

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I've tried two brand new molds both by lee two different ways, of smoking one and not smoking one. I found if i did less work to the one, that i did not smoke, it dropped better boolits.

Very interesting.............

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Looks like you are producing some excellent boolits there.

Thanks, from all the responses I am glad to know I am on the right track.

Mk42gunner
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
CobraMan,

It sounds as though you have one of the semi-illusive good dropping Lee molds. The thing to do now is go buy a lottery ticket before your luck turns:kidding:.

When Lee molds work like yours, they are a joy to use. I have a 312-185 that the last time I used it boolits just fell out so easily that I didn't stop until the pot was empty.

The only thing I would do to the mold is lube it the next time you use it.

Robert

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Good idea on the lotto ticket, I am headed that way, yes, I will lube it will Bullplate lube.

FLHTC
03-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Wow, you deserve some congratulations there Cobraman. Very nice job. Its a good feeling to produce your own bullets for the first time, isn't it? You are certainly on the right track and are making some beautiful bullets. You'll find that casting and reloading are two of the most rewarding aspects of firearm ownership. GOOD JOB.

CobraMan
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Wow, you deserve some congratulations there Cobraman. Very nice job. Its a good feeling to produce your own bullets for the first time, isn't it? You are certainly on the right track and are making some beautiful bullets. You'll find that casting and reloading are two of the most rewarding aspects of firearm ownership. GOOD JOB.

Thank You, I got all of my information from you folks on this site, Thank You all. My initial success is from the excellent information from all of you experts. By you sharing your knowledge has saved me a tremendous amount of time and expense and frustration. I as well as others really appreciated it.

FLINTNFIRE
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
If the way you did it worked as good as it did you did it right , no need to clean again , as for smoking you did it once and they came out good , so go ahead and continue casting , smoke if you feel the need , I have that very same mold , still using it after 15 years , congratulations on the good looking boolits and more fun to come.

CobraMan
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks Alot...............