PDA

View Full Version : Tips for out of round boolits

supv26
03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
I got in another batch of Lee molds this week and fired up the furnace last night. I used the TL358-158-SWC and a TL358-158-2R both in 6 cavitly and the 2R was throwing out of round boolits. When I measured from seam to seam with my calipers they were right on the money. When measured opposite the seam they were as much as .364! Very oblonged!! I then threw some boolits with the 158-SWC and they were perfect using the same pour. I cleaned and lubed these molds identical to each other so nothing has been done different to any of them. In fact, I cast some .309's also and they were perfect also.

I took the 2R mold apart and re-cleaned EVERYTHING!! I then put it all back together and noticed that when I closed the mold and then squeezed the sprew handle along with the mold handles it would try to pull the mold apart. So, I am wondering if that when I pour the lead I need to keep my fingers off of the sprew handle?????

I'm going to go out and fire the furnace up this morning and try that mold again. If it throws football boolits again then I'm contacting Lee Monday morning.........................

snuffy
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
I got in another batch of Lee molds this week and fired up the furnace last night. I used the TL358-158-SWC and a TL358-158-2R both in 6 cavitly and the 2R was throwing out of round boolits. When I measured from seam to seam with my calipers they were right on the money. When measured opposite the seam they were as much as .364! Very oblonged!! I then threw some boolits with the 158-SWC and they were perfect using the same pour. I cleaned and lubed these molds identical to each other so nothing has been done different to any of them. In fact, I cast some .309's also and they were perfect also.

I took the 2R mold apart and re-cleaned EVERYTHING!! I then put it all back together and noticed that when I closed the mold and then squeezed the sprue handle along with the mold handles it would try to pull the mold apart. So, I am wondering if that when I pour the lead I need to keep my fingers off of the sprue handle?????Yup! The sprue plate handle is there simply to give the sprue plate a nudge to start shearing the sprue, do NOT hold it while casting!

I'm going to go out and fire the furnace up this morning and try that mold again. If it throws football boolits again then I'm contacting Lee Monday morning.........................

The first question Lee would ask you is; are you holding all three handles while casting?

runfiverun
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
keep your thumb off the third handle.
they put it there to open the mold.
guess what pushing on the lever does.....

detox
03-23-2013, 12:29 PM
My Lee two cavity mold did well at the beginning then suddenly started to make out of round boolits. After inspecting mould i discovered the two alinement pins had receeded causing mould halves to wobble and not line up. I tapped alignment pins back in place,but eventually pins would receed again. I sent two cavity mould back to Lee factory and they gave me $25.00 credit toward any purchase on their site. Selection was very limited so i purchased one.451 sizer die and four locknuts and grommets plus shipping.... so i lost money on the deal.

My advice : By a good more expensive mould to begin with to avoid such problems. I now buy better quality lifetime warranty RCBS moulds

supv26
03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Well, I figured it out today working this mold all day. I discovered the sprue plate closes just a little bit too much. I compared it to my other 6 bangers and I when I close the sprue plate the edge of it does not line up with the edge of the mold like all the others do. It appears the large notch that hooks over that bolt on the mold is too deep. When I push it all the way shut it pulls the the other end of the mold apart.

After studying the situation I discovered that when I close the sprue plate I need to pull the sprue handle back out just a little bit to line the edge of it up with the mold. That in turn closes the gap up on the opposite end of the mold. I was then able to cast some real nice boolits!!! I also found out this particular mold likes the melt just a little bit hotter and I run this mold quite a bit hotter than my others.

I cast using both molds today and they throw almost identical boolits, except for the point.