PDA

View Full Version : How picky are you when checking bullets?

Bittner182
08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I finally started casting, it seems to be going pretty good. I bought a lee double cav in 45. The first batch functioned great in a Glock and Taurus. How picky should I be when it comes to cosmetic flaws. These bullets are strictly for trigger time at no more than 25yrds.

Onlymenotu
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Shoot em...... ugly boolits need to be shot to,,,,* maybe even more so ,,,, as they are ugly*

Marc2
08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Not too pickey with 45 ACP but I like the bases filled out.

BTW, is that Glock barrel stock or aftermarket?

Marc In VA

gray wolf
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I paint a smiley face on the front of the ugly ones and load em slow.
That way I can see them go down range and crash.
My attempt at humor.

I would start with a high standard and then learn what you can live with and what you accept.
my two cents worth

Bittner182
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
The Glock was factory, I do not plan to use cast in it. It was my buddy's, we just wanted to see if they would function properly.

mike in co
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
they goota be pretty poor to not work at short pistol range.. dont be too critical. a unfilled base or an obvious void....all else let'em fly

mike

Bittner182
08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Great, sounds like I am doing pretty good. I can't wait to get my 6 cav for my M9.

Shuz
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I did an experiment recently that, by no means, was scientific, but at least I proved to myself that less than perfect 429215 boolits shoot just as well at 25 yds to 55 yds as the "perfect" ones. The bases were all good, it's just that the FDB on this design is rather small and I've had a heckuva time getting one cavity out of a 4 banger to consistently fill out like the rest. So I sorted them based on cavity number and started to shoot. The poorly filled out FDB boolits from cav #4 shot to the same POI and gave the same 1-1/2 to 2" group as the rest. Now this was with out them steenking gas checks too. From now on, I'm just gonna use that mould in tandem with another 4c and not be concerned about FDB fillout. Hope this helps. The load was 8.6g of Green Dot and maggie cases. Gun was a scoped 629 Classic DX 5"--Shuz

jonk
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I too am not so picky. A few wrinkles or a little frosting is fine. I once sat down with some loaded ammo and a sharp pocket knife and really dinged up the bullets- up to and including carving off pieces of lead. I found I had to remove a pea sized piece before notable accuracy failings. Ergo, once the mold is to temp and the really awful first few are discarded, I shoot everything, unless shooting a match.

357maximum
08-22-2007, 11:38 AM
"How picky are you when checking bullets? "

I do not shoot very many bullets.

How picky am I when it somes to checking boolits?

plinking fodder for the 38 specials, and the like.....not very, just a quick once over to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

hunting/load development/everyday rounds for my shoulder rifles/ handheld "short rifles"/hunting revolvers.........I get very, very anal

IMHO the worst thing you can have is a torn base from cutting the sprue too quick, it does alot more harm to accuracy than anything else. I will never understand those who shoot boolits with torn bases for anything other than "BANG" rounds. If you can see crystalline structures and such when you open the sprue......you need to slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

*The proceeding was one mans opinion, if you disagree go right ahead, he proably will not listen to "sloppy works" opinions anywhooo. *

STP
08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
When I first started shooting in the NYS Bullseye League I used the Carrol wadcutter boolits for centerfire. The total number of "bad" boolits was a bit frustrating. By the time I stated to cast my own, there were quite a few of those left over.
On a whim, I loaded up some for my S&W 52-1 and was quite surprised at the result. Outdoors at 50yds...no dice. The balance of them were used indoors to introduce a couple of new Club members to the basics of pistol shooting.

Rifle calibers get a good look simply because I do long-ish casting runs, and I do tend to find some goobers and wonder how I could have done such a thing. Minor flaws near the noses get a pass, but on or near the bases I always cull`em.

I spend more time staring at the Loverin`s....so much to look at!

buck1
08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
For me, in a pistol...Flat base, well filled bands, NO holes in the base are a must. a nose wrinkle is no big deal. In a rifle I am sooo picky you wouldnt belive it!!...Buck

mooman76
08-22-2007, 08:48 PM
I am pretty picky when it comes to bullets. They actually have to fit in the gun!