PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Jim
03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
FOX NEWS (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/23/local-law-enforcement-face-ammo-shortage-as-dhs-stocks-up/)has an article up this morning about the ammo shortage affecting law enforcement. Below is the photo they used at the top of the article.

WILCO
03-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Primers are drilled.

scottiemom
03-23-2013, 08:36 AM
oooh-oohh!! I know, I know!!! :p

winelover
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Looks like they are also affected by the primer shortage!

Winelover

Trey45
03-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Termites done et their primers.

ubetcha
03-23-2013, 08:45 AM
What would you expect from our well informed new reporters about the concern.Yet so many people believe what ever they are told because after all,what ever is said on the new or internet must be gospel .Right![smilie=1:

fishhawk
03-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Guys they had to test them to make sure they work! Same as I do with my matches make sure they light!

shredder
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Well, we can't have that dangerous ammunition in our studio! It could go off all by itself and shoot everyone! Lordy, keep it away, we all know what guns are capable of doing all by themselves let alone the deadly ammunition.......

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey...who let jim out of jail???? Or bailed him out??

oldred
03-23-2013, 09:05 AM
I call BS! That photo is fake, every time I ever tried to drill a primer the dang thing went off!

:kidding:

WILCO
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey...who let jim out of jail???? Or bailed him out??

All charges dropped based upon a conversation with the judge.

starnbar
03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
I heard that James was RORed no bail required

cbrick
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
That's quite common for prop ammo. I have supplied studio prop departments with such ammo in the past, highly polished brass, bullet and a fired primer. It doesn't need to go bang and the insurance people are all the happier.

A lot changed in the studios with guns & ammo about 25-30 years ago when a moronic actor on the set of a Warner Bros show was playing Russian roulette with a revolver loaded with one blank, spin the cylinder & hold to the temple, pull trigger. He got away with it a couple of times as the rest of the morons cheered him on. When it went off he was dead before he hit the floor.

Rick

Jim
03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
.....A lot changed in the studios with guns & ammo about 25-30 years ago when a moronic actor on the set of a Warner Bros show was playing Russian roulette with a revolver loaded with one blank, spin the cylinder & hold to the temple, pull trigger. He got away with it a couple of times as the rest of the morons cheered him on. When it went off he was dead before he hit the floor. Rick

At the risk of drifting my own thread.....

Many years ago, a youth pastor in a small church (http://www.aintnowaytogo.com/godsGun.htm)was trying to instill upon the young people that one never knows when the time will come. To make his point, he was doing the same thing, a revolver with one blank round in it. Finally, the blank went off against his temple and he died instantly.

For a minute, everyone thought it was part of his routine. Someone finally saw the blood and realized he had inadvertently set his own time.

Foolishly playing with a gun without a clue.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
I never saw primers with a bullseye for the firing pin before

popper
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Yea, I corrected Fox on a photo of a Mexican gun stash - claimed a 50 cal AA machine gun, which was really a 30 cal trench MG. Photo disappeared the next day. Reporters don't have to have much of an education (in anything), just good looks anymore.

km101
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, we can't have that dangerous ammunition in our studio! It could go off all by itself and shoot everyone! Lordy, keep it away, we all know what guns are capable of doing all by themselves let alone the deadly ammunition.......

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! LOL But I'm glad they used inert ammo for their props......just think what mayhem those a**holes could have caused with live ammo! (and this is the channel that I like!)

Epd230
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
If they dont research the topic enough to figure something as simple as this out, why does anyone look to them for news?

wallenba
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I watched a tv news report here in the Detroit area years ago, about an arrest made of an offender. He was carrying a revolver loaded with those infamous 'cop killer' bullets. When they showed them in the palm of the police officers hand, all I could see was a few .22 LR shotshells with the blue capsule. Even the cops had no clue!

oldred
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Well since we got off on studio ammo I just have to tell this one again. I don't remember the tv show I saw this on but it was in the very early 70's, a doctor was removing a bullet from a wounded suspect while a police detective was waiting to question him. The doc dug the bullet out of the suspect's chest and held it for the detective to see, it was the whole stinkin round case and all!

Talk about not having a clue!! [smilie=b:

Charlie Two Tracks
03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
You'd go through quite a bit of brass shooting that gun. I suppose the steel cased ones would be better than the brass.

TXGunNut
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
P T Barnum was right, I found a buyer for my once-fired primers!

Matt_G
03-23-2013, 06:02 PM
A lot changed in the studios with guns & ammo about 25-30 years ago when a moronic actor on the set of a Warner Bros show was playing Russian roulette with a revolver loaded with one blank, spin the cylinder & hold to the temple, pull trigger. He got away with it a couple of times as the rest of the morons cheered him on. When it went off he was dead before he hit the floor.
Gene pool was a touch cleaner. Need more like him in Hollyweird...

GaryN
03-23-2013, 06:46 PM
That picture reminds me of the original Hawaii Five O. At the first it always shows a guy loading a revolver with shells that have spent primers in them. (Jim, I'm trying to get the thread back on topic).

floodgate
03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Well since we got off on studio ammo I just have to tell this one again. I don't remember the tv show I saw this on but it was in the very early 70's, a doctor was removing a bullet from a wounded suspect while a police detective was waiting to question him. The doc dug the bullet out of the suspect's chest and held it for the detective to see, it was the whole stinkin round case and all!

Talk about not having a clue!! [smilie=b:

In the current "NEWSPEAK" used by the press, many novelists and mystery writers, and even some police and courts, a "bullet" means a complete loaded round. That's why we invented the term "BOOLITS" for use here.

floodgate

JeffinNZ
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Ain't that the flash GyroJet ammo with the rocket in the base. :-)

375supermag
03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
That's quite common for prop ammo. I have supplied studio prop departments with such ammo in the past, highly polished brass, bullet and a fired primer. It doesn't need to go bang and the insurance people are all the happier.

Rick

IIRC...Jon-Erik Hexum?

375RUGER
03-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Barney Fife ammo. maybe they should issue more of that to ABQ PD

km101
03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Ain't that the flash GyroJet ammo with the rocket in the base. :-)

By Jove, I think yer right Guv'nor! ;)

shdwlkr
03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Well you have all missed the point if the LEO's only have those rounds to practice with sure explains why when you give them live rounds they can't hit the bad guys but can sure rack up the innocent bystanders. Look at the LAPD when they were searching for one of their own they managed to kill 90 dogs, at least two vehicles and some innocents. Yep I would feel real safe if the LAPD were my go to police. Seems one of those trucks they unloaded what was it like 90 rounds into it that truck must have put up one heck of fight, forget the two women inside hoping they didn't get killed.

willie_pete
03-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Gyrojet ammo had angled holes in the base to impart spin to stabilze in the smoothbore barrel.

WP

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2013, 09:57 PM

Rick

Who ?
I recall the tale of Brandon lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee
but that wasn't quite the same story....but was 20 years ago.
Jon

stubshaft
03-24-2013, 01:03 AM
The "Deadly dummy" ammo. Especially effective on idiots.

x101airborne
03-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Well obviously if it is on Fox news they are showing a bunch of "dummies"!

Katya Mullethov
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.psychophil.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/afplie01.jpg

Smitty's Retired
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Jim, someone needs to change a spring if the firing pin is doing that to the ammo.

willie_pete
03-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Who ?
I recall the tale of Brandon lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee
but that wasn't quite the same story....but was 20 years ago.
Jon

John-Eric Hexum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_eric_hexum

WP

David2011
03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Jim, someone needs to change a spring if the firing pin is doing that to the ammo.

SWMBO came from the next room to see why I was laughing so loudly.

David

GOPHER SLAYER
03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
If you watch British mysteries you will see this type of thing all the time. They are forever referring to a Luger as a revolver. I saw one crime show and one cop said to another, they retrieved the bullet and he slid a plastic bag toward the other cop and it had a complete pistol round in it.

TheGrimReaper
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Guys they had to test them to make sure they work! Same as I do with my matches make sure they light!

Good one!

deep creek
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I think another actor that did a bang flop on the set with a blank was the lead for alias smith and jones years ago

Echo
03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
In one scene in CSI (some years ago) the tech said 'We recovered the bullet', and held up a lead SWC, complete with loob!

Ed Barrett
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
In one scene in CSI (some years ago) the tech said 'We recovered the bullet', and held up a lead SWC, complete with loob!

I'd like to get the formula for that lube, mine comes off after firing.

linotype
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Ah, Government politician bullets! Can't make them work, and can't fire them! ;)