PDA

View Full Version : Hows that saying go

turmech
03-22-2013, 10:36 PM
The police are only there to put up the caution tape (or something like that).

I thought I would post what just happened in my sleepy little town. I might as well post as I most likely won't me turning in anytime soon.

I was watching TV and saw on the dead in road across the street a car had made a lap riding mostly with the lights off. Really only turning them on every once and a while for what appeared to be to see where they were going then turning the lights off again. I watched several laps down this 1//4 mile dead end road. They would stop turn the engine every now and again.

I finally could not take it anymore. I went out side and watched for several more laps and stops. I was trying to determine if this was just harmless or not. You see I live around 20 min from anything even remotely close to a town. Several homes on this road are vacant due to the current housing situations and a couple more are vacation homes. This road is almost directly across from my homes 300 yard driveway.

After standing in the cold for 20 min or so I decided to ride over there and check things out. When I pulled up to them they started the car and turned on the lights. I kind of angled the truck to make it harder to dry away. I rolled down the window and they reluctantly did the same. Two young men who I must say did not look like they belonged started to mouth off a little. At least till gauge jumped up on the tool box and smiled at them. Gauge is my 100 Chesapeake that is not a bad answer to my states almost nonexistent concealed carry. They rolled up the window and said nothing was wrong or going on and drove around me back down the dead end. I called the sheriffs office and parked down my lane to see if they ever left. To my knowledge they did not. Unless they switched cars as one car left while I waited for LE.

45 min later sheriffs car does one ride by. Never turned on a spotlight and never slowed below 25 mph. He left and as of yet 1 hour later has not returned. I am sure interested to see what the morning brings.

nhrifle
03-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Please, please be careful. Never under any circumstances underestimate people. And for the love of all that's holy, please carry something.

waksupi
03-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Yep, be careful. Some years ago, a caretaker friend of mine was gunned down by a prowler in a wheelchair. A friend of mine finally solved the case and the perpetrators are now in prison, and Larry is in the ground.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018141/index.htm

turmech
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
When I first went out side I took my 1911. I put it up when I left my property. Unfortunately in my state if I left my driveway with a pistol or a loaded firearm I would have broken the law. I also would guarantee that any LE which may have arrived perhaps if another neighbor called before my call would have prosecuted me. Sadly that seems to be the way it works anymore.

When I went over their I had a tire tool in my lap and my dog would be the next best option to a gun. I may have been foolish, but I really though I find a young couple looking for a good Friday night. Or perhaps a couple of kids drinking or goofing off. Those kind of thing which are frond upon but most of us did it. We have crime here but not much violent crime yet, not that this could not have been.

When I got back on my property the 1911 went back in the holster.

km101
03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
I cant tell you how many "prowler" calls I handled in my years in law enforcement. Most were "no contact" or harmless kids, but every now and then a call was the real thing. You never know when that is going to occur, so any time you confront strangers in a potential conflict situation you MUST be prepared to defend yourself! You did the right thing by calling it in. Even though the Sheriff did not investigate, you should not put yourself in danger by investigating further. As a concerned citizen you can only observe and report. Dont get out on a limb where you cant get back! If you see anything further call again, and try to get a vehicle description/lic. number, occupant desc. etc. but dont comfront them yourself. Leave that to the guys who get paid to do it.

turmech
03-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Waksupi,

I read some of that article. Definitely sad and shows how things can go bad quick. I did not get past page three as it seemed the article focused from there more on the shooter his problems and conditions than it did the victim. I can see your point.

I guess my problem is I am old enough to remember a different time but young enough to think I am still the knuckle head of those days. I however refuse to live in fear while at the same time trying to not be stupid.

turmech
03-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Km,

Yes, once I talked to suspicious occupants of the vehicle and got the impression they were up to no good, I was done as long as they stayed over there. I stayed in my driveway in my truck about ½ way up the lane should the sheriff want to talk to me or to see which way they went so I could tell him. I gave vehicle and personal description as well as tag number to the dispatcher. The officer did not talk to me during the drive-by investigation. Rather the individuals were doing somewhat harmless mischief or it was more serious I really could not tell and at that point I considered it a job for LE. Once the cop left I went back inside. And for the first time locked my trucks and shop up.

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Something like this would happen around here, I myself, consider redundant laws that could put me in jeopardy null and void. I will protect myself if I feel the need on or off my property.

Trey45
03-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Had similar happen here. A few years ago a car backed down my driveway late at night with the lights off. He cut the engine and just sat there, I could see movement in the car but couldn't see what was going on. Flashlight and an 870 with me I go out. Cell phone in pocket to call the sheriff if needed. Out here in the country, the cops are at least 45 minutes away during the day, at night we have one cop on duty. I was able to get right up next to the passenger window before they even knew I was there. Two black kids rolling a joint, and so engrossed in the rolling they didn't notice i was there until the 870 muzzle tapped the window and the flashlight came on in their faces. The passenger spilled the pot all over himself, the driver just freezes. I tell them I have their vehicle description, license number and the sheriff is on the way, if their smart they'll leave and never come back. Driver starts the engine and drives off in a hurry. This was a few years ago, I hadn't lived out here too long when this happened, but I've never seen these two kids again, nor their car.

reloader28
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
No matter what the "law" says, I would rather take a chance on getting caught than needing a gun to protect my family and not having it. If fact I do take mine wherever I go regardless of the law.

You better be carefull. A couple weeks ago we had Wyomings first ever triple murder at my neighbors about 1 mile behind me. 2 young men killed a 40 year old woman and her parents. To leave the area they had to take the road less than 100yds from my house. If we would have known what had happened, those little motherf***** would have never made it to the pavement.:Fire::Fire::Fire:

Kull
03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Honestly turmech, the way you described the sequence of events in your first post I think your actions where just about looking for trouble. Driving 300 yards to investigate a suspicious vehicle and then angling your vehicle to try and keep them from leaving? Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. Please be careful.

km101
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Trey, how long did it take you to get the urine stain off the driveway? LOL

Trey45
03-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Now that's funny right there! LOL

Epd230
03-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Honestly turmech, the way you described the sequence of events in your first post I think your actions where just about looking for trouble. Driving 300 yards to investigate a suspicious vehicle and then angling your vehicle to try and keep them from leaving? Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. Please be careful.

I agree. If a situation is suspicious enought to warrant your investigation, it is suspicious enought to call the police.

Espically in the event that you live in a rural area where the police response is 45 minutes. Think of it this way, if the SHTF, your help is 45 minutes away! In a fight, 4 minutes is a lifetime.

Also, think real hard about stepping outside of the law when it comes to weapons. There can be a fine line between right and wrong and alot of times it comes down to the personal opinion (or political leanings) of a monday morning quarterback in the prosecutors office.

Look at Florida, I would rather not be in Zimmerman's shoes right now, right or wrong.

dakotashooter2
03-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Get yourself a flashlight that has flashing colored lights. For something like that just putting it on top of your vehicle and staying in the yard probably would have resulted in them vamoosing..............

TXGunNut
03-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I cant tell you how many "prowler" calls I handled in my years in law enforcement. Most were "no contact" or harmless kids, but every now and then a call was the real thing. You never know when that is going to occur, so any time you confront strangers in a potential conflict situation you MUST be prepared to defend yourself! You did the right thing by calling it in. Even though the Sheriff did not investigate, you should not put yourself in danger by investigating further. As a concerned citizen you can only observe and report. Dont get out on a limb where you cant get back! If you see anything further call again, and try to get a vehicle description/lic. number, occupant desc. etc. but dont comfront them yourself. Leave that to the guys who get paid to do it.

That's exactly right. You have no way of knowing what's going on and no one to back up you and your dog.

10x
03-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Way back in my youth we were the only family living at the end of a mile long dead end road. The road was a popular place for couples to have a half hour of intimate privacy. Hydraulic jacks would allow wood blocks to be slipped under the rear axle. The occupants would never notice until they felt the need to drive away when we would come up behind them and blow the horn.
There is a great deal one can do without confrontation.

I weigh the risk of approaching an unknown vehicle with unknown people parked in a place where they should not be very carefully. I will ask someone who is parked for no obvious reason if they need help or directions. I do not do that after dark.