PDA

View Full Version : O.M.M.B. Build near complete

freebullet
03-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Goal-build an off-road monster mini bike-ommb. It needed to be capable of hauling 2 big people & possibly a deer, through crappy hunting terrain. It doesnt need to be fast just capable. It works! I started with this65031

freebullet
03-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Worked out some details & turned it into this65032

freebullet
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Mocked up a driveline 65034

freebullet
03-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Another view 65035

freebullet
03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Mocked up the seat n painted the frame.65037

waksupi
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Centrifugal clutch?

freebullet
03-22-2013, 10:16 PM
It has a comet belt drive into an additional full size jackshaft. It's geared down about 45:1 goes a little over 16mph. It pulled 2 large folks & a buck out of a very muddy corn field. 65073

P.K.
03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
You ended up with a one wheel drive RoKon, I like!

waksupi
03-23-2013, 12:34 AM
I'll give you a hunnerd bucks fer it! I could use something like that.

freebullet
03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Hmm I don't think that buys the new front tire. But thanks fer the generous offer.

nekshot
03-23-2013, 04:13 PM
great job yer doing. I considered redoing a 3 wheeler like that many a time. Also considered battery power for the ultimate sneak machine. Many years ago archery hunting I was watching some deer feed and all of a sudden they became alarmed and then ran into cover, soon I heard a 4 wheeler in the distance and it never got closer than a half mile but they were gone.

freebullet
03-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys. I thought about electric too, but the component cost was out of hand due to the weight its expected to move. I also thought about making it 2x2 hydrodrive, but again the component cost was high. I tried to incorporate inexpensive widley availible reliable parts everywhere possible, and use components I had on hand. It's a handful, but fun. I was worried bout the sound. So I made a muffler, its a quiet piece. I also wrapped it up well. There are several panels to protect stuff n a chain guard, they all have several layers off sound deadener. We tested it out a bit. Wide open I cannot here a trace of sound @40yards away. That's not to say a deer couldn't hear it further though. I have watched deer run off because of 4whlrs also. Being quite was a big part of it. Has a real mellow sound. I think the engine is louder than the exhaust.

jeepyj
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Can't ask for much more than that. Probably at a fraction of some dealer purchased thing. Good luck!
Jeepyj

Gibbs44
04-02-2013, 06:51 PM
That's pretty gnarly, I had a friend when I was a small kid, whose dad had something like that. I liked the fat tires on the motorcycle. I still like it. Cool.

Reg
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
You said you made your own muffler ?? How , exactly did you do it.
Have a old ( early 60's ) Tote Gote , in some ways about what you have and run the heck out of it. It is a bit noisy though and would like to find a way to quiet it down a bit ( a lot !! ) >

freebullet
04-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I looked for a vintage fat tire bike or rokon for a long time. I built this all new bike for less than those sell for in nonworking order, lots of sweat equity. Took about a month of spare time lose a little sleep to getr done working on it. I also considered redoing a 6x6 to use, but just kept coming back to the bike idea. I think because the three wheeler was a donation from a friend, & the bike fits inside a suburban with gear & deer.not to mention mobility On the muffler I made a header to connect 1" flex pipe to. Then used a piece of 2"+ car exhaust about 18" or so. I found a bunch of cut off pieces of 1x1 angle iron that fit inside. I welded them in at various angles but open enuff for free flow, obviously weld the inside ones first. I did that for the upper portion. The bottom half has a piece of black iron pipe with a bunch of holes around the perimeter, the areas around it are packed with stainless steel wool. So the nipple sticking out the top and bottom have threaded ends. You just need a couple flat pieces of steel for the top & bottom. If you look at the fifth pic you can see it. It's the black part in front of the engine.

Reg
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
The 1" pcs. of angle. Are they welded in linear or crossways to the flow ? Do you have a actual final dump that goes down or rely on the holes drilled through that pc. of black pipe and have the St, St. wool inside to let the actual exhaust to flow through.
I like the concept, never thought of doing it like that. I bet it would meet forest service specs for spark emission because of the length and wool packing. Still need to get it all correct in my feeble mind then go for it.
Thanks
Reg

freebullet
04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Across the flow with the inflow pointing at the v of the angle iron. They were not fun to weld in. The exit tube butts up to a centered angle iron baffle,so exhaust can go out the tube but it has to go through the ss wool. It's kinda like 2 mufflers in one. I wish now I would have taken more pics along the way. I worked on it like a dog on a bone, so I only took pics when done for the day. I will take a close pic of the exh. system tomorrow & post it up 4 you. It seemed silly to put the muffler in front of the engine, but it fit there so well with no nonsense .

Reg
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
No, I don't think it is silly at all, kinda like the concept.
What did you use for the wool? Am wondering if St.St. scouring pads might make a good long lasting material. Also, they should be open enough to not put in too much back pressure. Something I might have to think about more than you. My motor is an original early 50's vintage 5 h.p. Brigs. Runs the Gote fine but I think it's also due to the fantastic gearing reduction.

missionary5155
04-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Good morning
This sure brought up some memories. My uncle Ed Fester and Mr.Heald both worked for Heath inc. They became dissatisfied with the Boonie Bike and decided to build thier own. Bought an old gas station on US 33N outside of Riverside, Mich and started building thier idea of what the "Boonie Bike" should have progressed to. The "Bronc" was not fast but would walk over any muddy Michigan field and near climb any sand dune. Deer hunting and deer hauling was the main goal in mind. Sold a bunch of kits.. They used to run adds in American Rifleman.
I graduated in 1969, went to college a year and near got a job at Heald Inc but the Pickle Suit group interviened.
Bronc, Trail Bronc, Super Bronc were some of the models. I think the company went out of buisness in the mid 80's. I know my uncle was big in coho fishing and sold out his part to Mr. Heald to "go fishing" with my other retired Whirlpool uncle in the late 70's.
Mike in Peru

freebullet
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
If I remember correct it was ss wool or scouring pads, whatever we found cheap and in stainless. As large as it is it allows free flow, there are enough holes to equal the exhaust diameter times two at least. That allows great flow. I would say it flows better than the stock unit. It would certainly stop spark. Having the exit angled down helps stop sound alot. I was concerned about the exit temp being a fire hazard, it doesn't get very hot by the time it gets out. The wrap is for headers made of fiberglass. I think later in the summer I will remove the exit end & make a removable end for repacking. Also need a kickstand, planning to make quick mount luggage racks for the sides &66622 back. The receivers are already welded on. The tote goat & super bronc were definitely great bikes.

freebullet
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Exit side