PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security active shooter manual

popper
03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Just read the active shooter manual. Summation - run, hide, do what LEO says when they arrive. Large section on how to detect someone who may become and active shooter. Gee, wonder how much they spent making this brochure?
$1m advice on USING COMMON SENSE?

lylejb
03-23-2013, 01:37 AM
run, hide, do what LEO says when they arrive

Gee, that makes me feel more secure already.

NSP64
03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Thats why they need so much ammo.
Firing blindly over and around from cover eats up alot of ammo.

missionary5155
03-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Good morning
Naturally we would not want any of those finely trained uniform fillers to become a statistic. After all there is a surplas of civilians and they are easily come by.
Mike in Peru

popper
03-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Actually it was presented by the local PD & school district, to the citizenry. Package also included plans for protection at schools, suggested 'bugout' bags, home security protection, general home survival, etc. Good advice for the soccer mom mentality of most of the community that never thinks about anything important. I was surprised at the HS brochure - fancy publication with lots of decoration and emblems, just nothing more than common sense. Interesting that the most important info in the brochure was to 'be quiet', aka stop screaming. Like that is going to happen.

km101
03-23-2013, 10:24 AM
There was not anything in there that was new or innovative. Just about what you would expect from a Fed dept. What a waste of YOUR money. And someone probably got a raise and a promotion for this "bright idea."

TXGunNut
03-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Whatever happened to grip, sight alignment and trigger control?

Trey45
03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Whatever happened to grip, sight alignment and trigger control?

The woosification of America happened.

runfiverun
03-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I can assure you all that something like this is needed.
cause no ones momma told them anything.

freebullet
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Haaarrrrdddd focus on the front sight!!!!!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
So how do you get one of those advisory jobs? It kind of reminds me of Les Nessman at WKRP and his weather forecast. You look outside and see what's going on and still get paid.

Sven
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I went to an active shooter class a couple weeks ago. The guy was knowledgeable and has an impressive list of credentials. He had the DHS brochure as part of his written info. What it said to me was RUN, HIDE, FIGHT. Run if you are able. Hide if you can. Fight if you encounter the active shooter. Guess it makes sense for most people.

I will not run or hide and let co-workers or friends in church become victims. (These are the two people groups I was attending the class for.)

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Active shooters can be stopped, have been stopped and should be stopped. Running and hiding won't stop a shooter. I don't run worth a damn and I'm too big to hide. OTOH I generally carry a well-used .45 and I love a good fight. Active shooters are delusional cowards and folks like me are their worst nightmare. I know and hope I'll never be in an active shooter situation but it doesn't hurt to understand the situation and have a plan.

DIRT Farmer
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Had the active shooter training as a police officer. We were trained to stand down till there was a four man team. I live in a rural area, a four man team requires bringing in off duty people.
I always figured one on one was good if it was a soft target, but here the odds of the first four man team might involve some local farmers and their wives.

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 11:20 PM
It's my optimistic belief that in an active shooter situation there are folks waiting for someone to lead the offensive, all they're waiting for is someone to make the first move.
I'm familiar with the small town police approach to backup. Sometimes when you request it you're told your backup just started the academy. It's good to know you can depend on an armed citizen now and then.

DIRT Farmer
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
The armed citizen saved my butt from embaressment on at least two events. One old farmer was carrying more than his fair share when he came out of the bar and found me heading for the bottom of the fight pile, he advised the heathens that their actions were not civilised curtusy of a certin Mr Remmington and I was careful to advise him to drive safe on the way home as I was the only officer on duty and would be busy for the time being with booking and paper work.

TXGunNut
03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Please don't dive into a fight like that, just start with the little guys first and cuff them one @ a time. They probably started it anyway. By the time you get down to the big guys they'll be tired and mebbe you'll have some help by then. Gotta admire your farmer friend's approach, tho.

DIRT Farmer
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
I was kind of a big guy back then, 6-2 and 290, used to grabbing holstin cows and pushing them into the milk parler, figured any combo under 1000lbs fair game, then I got older. Going in to work a shift after farming all day diden't leave me much of an attutude for dealing with mouthy drunks. Then I discovered EMS where one has backboards and lots of straps and two inch tape. There was a lot less back ground noise then on the ride in. The nice firefighters liked to help also.