PDA

View Full Version : IF you still don't get it. **Universal Background Checks **

gray wolf
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Many folks seem to have a problem with understanding what is meant by universal
back round checks, Well it's a little more than meats the eye, What you mean and what they mean are two different things. Or do we just refuse to see what's going on.
*** Because we care, it's for the children, it's good for the nation, If it saves one life, You don't need assault rifles for hunting and target shooting,
We don't want to take your guns,***
Are all lies of the left and the media
If they say it's night time--you had better reach for your sun glasses
What is below is just a small snip it of what is in store, disguised in feel good rederic and lies.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail

Food for thought. I am sure most of you had already figured this out, but here it is in writing.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...oly_grail.html

March 22, 2013
Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail
By Rick Averill

Feinstein's assault rifle ban has been removed from the Senate gun-control bill. While that is good news, it was recognized from the beginning as a bridge too far. What has survived, and may well become law, all in the spirit of bipartisan compromise, will actually be far worse.

The goals of the left have always been shrouded in deception and misrepresentation. Hide your true agenda behind a deceitful argument and then, after grabbing power, do what you really meant to do all along. That is what Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Castro and Obama have all done. By controlling the terms of the discussion, the left controls the argument. Actual Assault Rifles are not sold to the general public. The left invented the term "assault-style rifles" and the next thing you know assault-style rifles become assault rifles.

Fully automatic firearms have been restricted since the 1930s but recently the left has started combining "automatic and semi-automatic" weapons as one type of weapon. Another one of the left's favorite misnomers is the term "gun-show loophole." Loopholes, of course, are a way of skirting the law. They must be bad. Any chance to demonize firearms, like connecting the term "gun shows" with questionably legal practices like loopholes, is a win/win for the liberal media. The real goal behind closing the gun show loophole is actually to confiscate your personal property.

First of all, there is no gun show loophole. People who sell firearms at gun shows are licensed Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers to begin with. Other people can set up a table at a gun show to sell tee shirts, laser sights, hand grips and other shooting accessories. Unless they are FFL dealers, they cannot sell guns. If you read articles by journalists who visited gun shows, read carefully what they write because you will discover they will mix buying a tee shirt with buying an AR-15 and state that is some cases, they didn't even need a background check. The LIV reads the article and goes away thinking, "Wow, he bought an assault rifle at a gun show without any background check." Actually he bought the tee shirt without the background check but combined multiple purchases to mislead the reader. People do sell guns at gun shows without a background check, but those people are you and me. I went to a gun show last summer and brought my Walther PPK with me. I brought it because I wanted to make a side-by-side comparison with a new gun that I thought I might find at the show. (And yes, I actually did find the gun and held it side by side with my Walther) When I checked in my firearm at the gate, there was a man stationed right next to the check-in table. He took one look at my PPK and asked, "Do you want to sell it?" No, I had no intention of selling my pistol, but he worked for one of the vendors and his job was to identify attendees who owned a firearm that they might be interested in selling. Like anybody else there, I could have sold my PPK to any of the FFL vendors (already cleared front, back, and sideways by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives [BATFE]) and I would not have phoned in a background check on the gun dealer. THAT is the actual "gun-show loophole".

The left is seeking to fix the "gun-show loophole" problem with what they call a universal background check. It is all part of what Obama collectively terms a "common sense" approach to reasonable and responsible gun laws. First of all, the law would restrict law abiding citizens and have NO EFFECT on criminals obtaining guns. Watch the TV show "Sons of Anarchy" to get clued in to what a big business selling guns illegally really is. The left knows this, but they have no interest in actually cutting back on crime. What they really want is to disarm all of us who obey the law. Passing a universal background check law is how they will make firearm ownership illegal, and thereby confiscate our guns.

The UBC will require any citizen selling their gun to go through their local FFL dealer. That means: you find someone who wants to purchase your firearm. Both of you go to a gun store and pay the gun store a processing fee to do the paperwork on the sale. You leave the firearm at the gun store and if everything turns out okay, the purchaser comes back 30 days later and picks up his gun. If everything does not turn out okay (e.g. if the purchaser has an unpaid parking ticket from 5 years ago) then the sale does NOT go through. You get your gun back. (Or does it get held by BATFE for "processing?") But that is only the tip of the iceberg.

The worst part of UBC will be the check on the seller (that's you and me). In the interest of getting illegal guns off the street, the left will want to throw in this little addition to the universal background check scheme: the seller must prove that they legally own the gun they are seeking to sell. I have a very modest gun collection (the number of guns just barely breaks into double digits). Half of the guns I have bought in the last several years, the other half go back to the 1970s and 80s. For example, I have a .22 my parents gave me for Christmas in 1980. My folks are long gone and I certainly don't have a bill of sale for the rifle. Half of my guns fit this mold. I have no proof that I own them. All the government needs to do is write the law so the seller must provide proof of ownership (original bill of sale, in your name) and we are all in trouble. By this UBC law, the .22 my parents gave me 32 years ago is now an ILLEGAL GUN. What about the Mauser your grandfather brought back from Germany after WWII? Without a bill of sale, in YOUR name, that is an illegal gun. Under this law, every firearm that goes through probate could be considered illegal. When you die, you cannot leave your firearms to your family -- they would be considered illegal and be confiscated. Not only that, if some widow unwittingly went to a gun store to sell her late husbands' shotgun because she doesn't need it, a background check on the seller will show that she does not own the gun in her name (legally) and she is now in possession of a stolen gun. The shotgun is confiscated and the woman may face criminal charges. The same thing goes for you. If you attempt to sell an old shotgun your father left you years ago, to your neighbor you have known for 10 years, both of you must go to the FFL dealer and fill out the paperwork. When it turns out you don't have a bill of sale for the shotgun IN YOUR NAME, you are now in possession of an illegal gun. The shotgun will be confiscated and the police will now have a reason to search your house for any other illegal weapons you might have in your possession. That means they will legally take every gun you have and you will have to go to court to try and get any of them back. Good luck with that now that you are already on record attempting to traffic an illegal shotgun.

The universal background check to close the "gun show loophole" is the Holy Grail to the left and is their "common sense" approach to gun confiscation without firing a shot. Of course, there is an alternative where we can keep our guns. We simple bring all our guns to the government and officially register our weapons to show that we own them. Universal gun registration would give us official title to our guns and the left would accept that choice just as eagerly.

We must defeat the universal background check.

popper
03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
We must defeat the universal background check. yes! When they use a photo ID for voting, that will suffice for legality to own a gun. RINOs are too stupid to use this as the real issue. Love to play 5 card with Boehner, he doesn't even see a bluff if it is labeled as such.

gray wolf
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Men I didn't post this to conflict with the other thread about the same issue.
Just to shed a little more light on the subject and to try and show it's not what it's cracked up to be. It also was an attempted to not have it get lost in the other thread. Hope I didn't do wrong.

cbrick
03-22-2013, 01:52 PM
That article is exactly what I have been saying in post after post here since Sandy Hook. The fineswine assault weapons ban bill was never meant to pass, it is a smoke screen and nothing more. We are all now supposed to feel all warm & fuzzy because it didn't/won't pass and all we got was a national data base of ALL FIREARMS AND ALL FIREARM OWNERS.

If you don't believe any of what is going on believe this . . . A national data base of all firearms and all firearm owners is far more dangerous to our Constitution and rights than any assault weapons ban could possibly be.

Rick

P.K.
03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
In a nutshell, Shoot for the Moon, Settle for a moonpie, in this case the backround check.

The "Overton Window" in full effect, bog a bill down with so much, hand it over for the opposition to cut off what they can and stick to one thing. In this case the UBC, if this passes, 1/2 my gunsafe is illegal.

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

This is what the Left want's you to think it is: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/09/the-overton-window-explained-not-just-glenn-becks-new-book/

It's condenced but close to accurate for what the window is and how a politician tries to achieve public momentum for a cause.What they don't say is "By ANY means possible."

cbrick
03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
In this case the UBC, if this passes, 1/2 my gunsafe is illegal.

Incorrect.

If they get the national data base implemented in very short order EVERYTHING in your safe will be illegal!

Rick

runfiverun
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
yep,
they are only asking for this one small reasonable thing.
that is to register you, your children, pets, car ,boat, fire arms, electrical usage, food, water, and movements, but only from birth until your death, [when you become useless and infirm] or injured, or are born that way.
surely this isn't too much to ask for is it...

I guess it's easy to miss, they took all the other [4-500] times it happened out of the history books.

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
First of all, there is no gun show loophole. People who sell firearms at gun shows are licensed Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers to begin with. Other people can set up a table at a gun show to sell tee shirts, laser sights, hand grips and other shooting accessories. [B]Unless they are FFL dealers, they cannot sell guns. [B]If you read articles by journalists who visited gun shows, read carefully what they write because you will discover they will mix buying a tee shirt with buying an AR-15 and state that is some cases, they didn't even need a background check. The LIV reads the article and goes away thinking, "Wow, he bought an assault rifle at a gun show without any background check." Actually he bought the tee shirt without the background check but combined multiple purchases to mislead the reader. People do sell guns at gun shows without a background check, but those people are you and me. I went to a gun show last summer and brought my Walther PPK with me. I brought it because I wanted to make a side-by-side comparison with a new gun that I thought I might find at the show. (And yes, I actually did find the gun and held it side by side with my Walther) When I checked in my firearm at the gate, there was a man stationed right next to the check-in table. He took one look at my PPK and asked, "Do you want to sell it?" No, I had no intention of selling my pistol, but he worked for one of the vendors and his job was to identify attendees who owned a firearm that they might be interested in selling. Like anybody else there, I could have sold my PPK to any of the FFL vendors (already cleared front, back, and sideways by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives [BATFE]) and I would not have phoned in a background check on the gun dealer. THAT is the actual "gun-show loophole".

We must defeat the universal background check.

Well Sam, I hate to say it, but you better look at this Rick Averil who wrote this article and take it with a grain of salt, as in him not knowing what goes on at gun shows.
I can vouch, back in Feb I traded with a vendor, sitting at the same table he does every month, my Kimber Covert for my Browning model 1886. No back ground check called in, as he was a private seller not a dealer.
In Dec my father bought an M1A1, no background check, as it was a vendor who sells and trades privately. Sets at same table every month.
In Nov same thing, father bought a Marlin 30-30 older model from a gent walking around looking to sell it.
In the last year I cant tell you how many guns the 2 of us bought from vendors, setting at tables, or from the people walking around and never did a background check on them. But there was several
Walking in with my Kimber, or over the time, the ones dad thought he might sell or trade, there was no guy sitting beside the person checking out what was coming in because he worked for an FFL vendor who might be interested in it.
Yes I have seen and did a few outside the door sales, just because I got to them before they got to the door(was outside smoking at the time), or they didn't take what was offered to them thru trade or cash, and that trip back to their vehicle looked like it was a mile away, when they stepped out of the gun show doors, and they changed their minds real quick on not selling.
Is this illegal...nope. Perfectly legal thru state and federal laws.
Do i agree with any of these BS gun laws they're trying to get thru...hell no.
I don't agree with any gun laws we have on the books now alone.

Do I think the left will talk out of their as* while telling you sweet nothings....you bet i do. But so does the right side of the aisle.
Do I agree with any instant background check...hell no. I want to see it like it used to be, I could walk into Coast to Coast Hardware..see that rifle, tell the clerk, i'll take it, give him the money and walk out the door.

But it pi*ses me off to no end when even the pro gun side, and people like who wrote this article, can't even get it right. If the left or someone whose straddling the "fence" sees bs like this guy wrote, it just throws those fence riders onto the anti gun side, esp when it's proven to be BS what he wrote, and i highlighted.

I fear this damn BG check will be bad for all of us, but people who write articles like this need to get their facts straight. Unless theres a state where he's from that he's used in this article, but even then, he needs to put in there what state this was in.

Cane_man
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
unviversal background check really says "you are guilty until proven innocent", and America is not founded this way...

gray wolf
03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Yup your correct, that was a rant. Perhaps he didn't see what else was going on.
In my state any of that would not have broken any laws. Is to say as of now you can do a private party sell. I'm not responsible what he wrote, I posted it, so don't shoot me for that.
As far as my feelings go--I am still trying to get my head around the word universal as in universal Back round checks. We have NICS checks now, and I don't think we need back round checks on Steroids or back round checks 3.0 Or a national registry of gun owners.
Personally I don't think there should be any infringements.
So other than all your added drama, getting all rallied up, What is your suggestion ?
Mine sure is not to enhance what we have now. I'm sure if they pass a new law for this it wont be one page long. Tell the truth I'm not sure what you tried to say other than people still do private sales at gun shows. Calm down and help me out here, I'm on your side.
Once more if your saying that people are selling guns at gun shows as private sales and the state the show is in does not allow for this--as my state does, well then they are breaking the
aren't they ? Not saying I agree with the law, but I try to follow them until they can be changed.
I just re-read your post and I still don't know what your trying to say.
I don't do rants on me very well, so if you could break it down for us in the back row it would be appreciated.
Also--NO rant here, just don't like to be a target, I don't do that well either.

runfiverun
03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
sam I make it he was saying the guy in the article lied and said gunshows all have a loophole making it legal to go and sell your guns without a check.
and it is if you are a private person and not an ffl dealer.
in my state I can buy a gun from a private individual without a check but not from a dealer.
it doesn't matter if it is at a gunshow or a parking lot.

they have half of the guns registered [but don't know what you do with them afterwards] and want the other half.
plus any you GIVE or LEAVE or SELL to your family friends etc..
so automatically that rifle you bought in 1967 from gimbells becomes registered for later confiscation as soon as you pass it on or sell it.

why else would you need a registration of a legal substance?
do you have to register buying cigarettes or alcohol?
then why do smokers have to pay higher insurance premiums,and how do they know you smoke?

Phoenix
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
why else would you need a registration of a legal substance?
do you have to register buying cigarettes or alcohol?
then why do smokers have to pay higher insurance premiums,and how do they know you smoke?

IN some states covert registration is already in existence. I visited someone in New Jersey a few years ago. I havnt smoked in 15 years. but he asked me to pick him up a pack of marlboros on my way back. I said sure. The clerk asked for my id which I showed her. She said I had to take it out of my wallet. She grabbed it and scanned the license just like a grocery. I was really mad. I asked what she thought she was doing. She said it was state law that all alchohol and cigarettes the ID be scanned.

They dont know you smoke unless it is in your medical records. Regardless if you lie and they find out later they will deny any claims. Another slippery slope.

btroj
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Scanning the ID may not be to track the sale but to use the info on the barcode to verify age. Could be a system to help defeat fake IDs.

Scary thing is the need for a check on any transfer. Define transfer. If I loan a rifle to a guy for deer season is that a transfer? If someone else shoots my pistol at the range? My wife borrows my handgun for CCW? I leave town and my wife uses a handgun I own for personal protection?

Scares the heck out of me.

AkMike
03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
. People who sell firearms at gun shows are licensed Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers to begin with. Other people can set up a table at a gun show to sell tee shirts, laser sights, hand grips and other shooting accessories. Unless they are FFL dealers, they cannot sell guns.

This is just not true anyway shape or form.
The writer needs to learn something about gun shows and what the laws are! [smilie=b:

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Sorry sam, i'm not ranting at you or meaning to make it come out sounding like that. I appologize for that.
This guy who wrote the article, if that was in this area, would be dead set wrong, on what i percieve as the gunshow loophole.
There is actually no "loophole" in any gunshow.
That is a media and anti gun rhetoric that got started.
But like with this guys article, if someone like my FIL read it, he'd think so much the better, gunshows sell only thru an FFL dealer, then you have a crime committed, and it's found out thru investigation, a gun was bought from a private seller at a gunshow....then everything we as the law abiding gun owner are trying to accomplish just became all lies.
It really gets to me to see the pro side throwing rhetoric out there as bad as the anti side does.

I've spent 13 yrs now, debating, argueing and outright getting po'd at my FIL who is a devout liberal.
But I did one thing he asked or requested. he told me, if (and i still do), think this *** we have in office is so bad, and will bow to muslims, ect ect, then why is the amount of drone strikes escalated more than during Bush term? ECT ECT and on and on along those lines.
So I sat back and watched, still hating him though, and what he said was true.
And I still hate the monkey, and am preparing for battle this next month with my FIL when they pass thru, but i have to have hard facts, not something that could damage credibility, any time whatsoever
For the law abiding gunowner to win, we have to tell the truth, not skirt it, or half truth it, or whatever.
Those people who ride the fence, and can swing to either side, need truthful facts, not something like this guy said in the article about FFL vendors only selling at the gunshows.
The right will throw rhetoric and spew lies just as quick as the left.

What needs to be put out there is not the facts of what it could do, but the facts of what it will do.
The will do facts will sway more people to our side than the what could do facts might.

I know what i'm trying to say, and mean, I'm just not good with words and what my thoughts in my pea brain are meaning at times and am trying to convey.
Thats why when i get my browning project completed RFR is going to write the thread for me! [smilie=1:

Oh and RFR, on the smoking and insurance being higher.... Peabody Energy is like this. We have to answer a questionaire every year whether we use tobacco products or not.
If yes our bi-weekly premiums are $40 higher for me and my wife.
If I answer no, then they can randomly do a cheek swab,if we go to the dr, to see if tobacco has been used. If detected, and we said no on the questionaire, we lose our insurance for the year.

gray wolf
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the response.
The law as it stands now is that in some states you can and some states you can't.
Look at the state that had gun buy backs and people were buying guns at a slightly higher price
from folks before they got to the buy back tables the police were running.
To my understanding they were private sales and No checks were needed.
So yes from state to state we have a different set of laws, and even a difference within those.
A person reports what goes on in one place, takes that for LAW, and then goes to another place and it's a different set of laws. In between we have those that don't care about the law.
Universal to me means, what ever it is, it's every place. Thing is we can't trust people to just leave it at that. Look at the health care bill, thousands of pages to say you have health care.
W don't need any more open doors, my stance is enough is enough.

Phoenix
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Once you have the database it can be used to whatever someone wants to use it for. The government is exempt from most restrictions. Dont ever underestimate what it could mean. There are many databases that are used for things they were never intended for. In This case intent isn't the issue. it is where it can lead without legislative action that matters. This is very similar to our predicament. What they say it is for now how nothing to do with what it can become in the future without legislative action. Registration was never sold to the public as a mean to take firearms but guess where it was eventually used.

Scanning the ID may not be to track the sale but to use the info on the barcode to verify age. Could be a system to help defeat fake IDs.

Scary thing is the need for a check on any transfer. Define transfer. If I loan a rifle to a guy for deer season is that a transfer? If someone else shoots my pistol at the range? My wife borrows my handgun for CCW? I leave town and my wife uses a handgun I own for personal protection?

Scares the heck out of me.

w0fms
03-22-2013, 05:14 PM
We have too many laws already that are not enforced. I sat on a federal meth trial a few years ago that the FIRST time the couple was caught making meth-- they got off literally with a warning -and- their sawed off shotgun confiscated...second time they both went away for quite awhile. But the firearms violation from the first time was never prosecuted.

But having said that.. if the Seller stuff is correct.. that's really bad.. but I'd also say that leaving out "training by certified instructors" for the "temporary loan provision" part is a bad idea as well. It'll kill off many a basic pistol course for beginners. That is probably intentional too.

And yeah.. the whole registration thing. I already live in a state with buy permits.. and CCW's that are obtained in the same way with training.. but yeah.. already they have a registry of 3/4 of the owners....

km101
03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
The ONLY reason for UBC is later registration. Which will ultimately lead to later confiscation. This is the ultimate aim of the Liberal Left. The rest is just window dressing and BS. All the rhetoric and debate is just "lipstick on the pig". It's an attempt to divert us from the real objective. UBC is bad for America and Americans!

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Well the reason why i say both sides put out lies on issues is just like what i'm watching on the news right now.
The DHS purchasing 1.6 billion rounds of ammo is a farse.
In all actuality it's down as compared to 2010.
148 mil rds in 2010
108 mil rds in 2011
103 mil rds in 2012
They are by law allocated to where they can purchase up to 6 billion rds, but in fact have not.
Of those millions of rds DHS buys so much goes to state and federal LEO's and the local LEO's are SOL.
They're feeling the shortage just like the civilian is.
Until we know what exactly is coming across congress we'll never know till it's been voted on.

Do I want any gun laws...hell no. Once they create a law on something, they create more laws on that smething. It's a no end in sight when they create.

gray wolf
03-22-2013, 06:44 PM
The ONLY reason for UBC is later registration. Which will ultimately lead to later confiscation. This is the ultimate aim of the Liberal Left. The rest is just window dressing and BS. All the rhetoric and debate is just "lipstick on the pig". It's an attempt to divert us from the real objective. UBC is bad for America and Americans!
Thank you, I can see it no other way.

runfiverun
03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
so does anybody have any cases where a ubc didn't lead to confiscation?
or to a ban.
I am sure there is 40-50 cases that would show that every time registration was instituted, a ban followed at some point.

41 send me the reamer when you are done.
i'll do mine and do a write-up on what I done, how far I went, and why I only went that far.
it'll umm hoover but i'll give it a try.

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 08:13 AM
so does anybody have any cases where a ubc didn't lead to confiscation?
or to a ban.
I am sure there is 40-50 cases that would show that every time registration was instituted, a ban followed at some point.

41 send me the reamer when you are done.
i'll do mine and do a write-up on what I done, how far I went, and why I only went that far.
it'll umm hoover but i'll give it a try.

Taking my Browning to the gunsmith in about 2 hrs. Got some pics started on my reasons.
That place i got the reamer from was Reamerrentals.com. $15 for 3 days of use.

runfiverun
03-23-2013, 11:45 AM
sounds reasonable i'll look them up.

AggieEE
03-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Modest proposal, tell me what you think. We can all agree that we do not want crimimals getting their hands on firearms. How about when you are convected of a felony, judged insane or any other situation where you would not be able to legally own a firearm, the state marks your DL or other state ID "NOT ELIGABLE TO OWN A FIREARM". No reason as to why, protects your privecy, it would be the same as a "YES" "NO" from the NCIS check. All of this hinges on us checking ID when we do a sale which considering ATF goes trolling at times its not worth it to me to not check the ID of somebody I don't know. I know why this wouldn't work as it cuts the FEDs out of the loop and leaves it as a state issue. Coments please.
AggieEE

perotter
03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Do I want any gun laws...hell no. Once they create a law on something, they create more laws on that smething. It's a no end in sight when they create.

Yup. All of them that they have passed so far don't have the effect they say it will, so latter they want more. Again saying that it will fix the problem.

MtGun44
03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Sorry, AggieEE, but you are naive. NOTHING that the gov't does in the way of writing laws
has ANY effect on criminals. I am to the point where I will not agree that ANY further restriction
of my rights in any way whatsoever is "reasonable". IMO, these are all infringements and
violate the clear intent of the 2nd Amendment.

I am DONE being "reasonable" and getting more and more screwed every cycle. I have been at
this since 1966 and am sick of steadily losing rights. When I was a young man I ordered rifles
and could have (if I had the money, did not) ordered handguns through the mail with zero
federal restrictions. Guess what? Crime was LOWER then. Now we have all these layers
of "reasonable" restrictions - they make NO difference, only make guns harder to get and
more expensive for those of us that follow the law.

NO more.

Bill