PDA

View Full Version : I Just Joined Up & I Have A Ton Of Questions

trapper300RUM
03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Hello all
I am jst getting into casting my own bullets I have been reading & watching videos on casting & i have made a list of the items i will need to get started
1 Lee 4/20 Pot
2.2 Lee 9mm double cavity molds
3.2 44 cal Lee double cavity molds
4.Lee Sizing& Lube Kit for the 9mm
5.Lee Sizing & Lube Kit for the 44 cal
6. 1 stick of that Lee wax/lube for lubing my molds
7. Looking for some good lead ingots & found them on ebay @ a good price
8. Lee Ingot mold
9. Lee latle if needed
10. Hot plate for keeping molds hot
Fellas if there is anything i have left out let me know
I do hope i didn't post this in the wrong section
I am disabled & on a fixed income & it's going to take me a while to buy all of the tools i will be needing so in the mean time i can still be learning the how to's & how not to's as well fellas

P.K.
03-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits, for starters there is a Swapping and Selling section at the lower portion of the forum page where you can post all your "Want to Buy" needs.

Most of the items you listed come up for sale in there pretty often and you shouldn't have a problem getting them. As for Flea-bay, nevermind them, visit the Vendor area and you'll be able to get most of your componants there.

Again, welcome to Cast Boolits.

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Yes you left out what should be #2 on your list. A thermometer.
That thermometer will be a big boon to your casting. Even though in times past they never used one, and theres still people out there who don't, but when you're casting with something more than pure lead, a thermometer is what I consider a neccessity

Also #6. Go buy Bull Plate Sprue lube off Bullshop on here. Much better than the Lee lube

Charlie Two Tracks
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Safety gear! You will not believe how fast that lead can burn you. 700+ degrees is twice as hot as a casserole coming out of the oven. Melted lead must be shown a lot of respect or it will get you quick. That temperature will melt skin not just burn it. Safety glasses, leather gloves, long sleeve shirt, pants and good shoes are a minimum. Read up about what not to do in the sticky section of the lead forum. That lead looks so nice, all shiny and just sitting there but the tinsel fairy can visit real quick.

captaint
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Plus one on the Bullplate - great product. And the thermometer. I don't cast or smelt without one. You will need to order the Lee sizers by "size". Like .357 or .358 for the 9mm and maybe
.430 for the 44. I know nobody wants to do this, but it would benefit you to slug your bores and cylinders. That way, you would know for sure what size you will be needing. Just my oh two.
Mike

Love Life
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the forum and the madness. Casting your own is very rewarding.

foesgth
03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Take your time and read the stickies. They are better than any book you can buy. All the answers are there. I had a lot of questions when I started. My "big brothers" here on CB had already answered them!

Doc Highwall
03-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the forum! One thing I did not see on your list that will help you out tremendously, is a separate pot for smelting lead heated by a propane burner along with a large ladle. Also wood chips/shavings/sawdust for fluxing.

These items along with the appropriate safety gear will allow you to clean you dirty lead away from the house and pour it into your ingots. Never melt dirty lead in your LEE pot that you are going to use for casting bullets as that will cause you bottom pour spout to clog.

I have a separate 8 and 14 quart Dutch oven to smelt in.

runfiverun
03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
forget the lee ladle.
and I would only buy one of each mold.

the bottom pour.
mold
alloy
lube
sizer
that is all you need to make boolits.

a thermometer is downright handy to have to monitor the pot temp, and to set your casting temp with.

wv109323
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.I agree with others. Two things that were not mentioned was a "spoon" to help flux your lead. I use an old kitchen spoon but something with a longer handle would be better. During fluxing the lead needs to be stirred to remove all impurities.
Another thing that you will need is a soft wooden "stick". I use a popular wood closet rod about 14" long. I use it to break the sprue and tap the handles if a bullet refuses to drop out of the mold. The wood needs to be soft enough not to damage the sprue plate or molds over time.

garym1a2
03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Hot plate to preheat is not needed for Lee molds, just throw back the first 5 casts or so. the Lee lattle is only good to stir the pot, get a real ladle like a Lyman. I like the Lee Melter furnace better than the bottem pur for small molds, plus the melter does not leak and is good for smelting.

Hello all
I am jst getting into casting my own bullets I have been reading & watching videos on casting & i have made a list of the items i will need to get started
1 Lee 4/20 Pot
2.2 Lee 9mm double cavity molds
3.2 44 cal Lee double cavity molds
4.Lee Sizing& Lube Kit for the 9mm
5.Lee Sizing & Lube Kit for the 44 cal
6. 1 stick of that Lee wax/lube for lubing my molds
7. Looking for some good lead ingots & found them on ebay @ a good price
8. Lee Ingot mold
9. Lee latle if needed
10. Hot plate for keeping molds hot
Fellas if there is anything i have left out let me know
I do hope i didn't post this in the wrong section
I am disabled & on a fixed income & it's going to take me a while to buy all of the tools i will be needing so in the mean time i can still be learning the how to's & how not to's as well fellas