PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Remignton is coming to town

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Big front page story in today's newspaper, appears Remington Arms bought out a local rifle barrel maker.
Maybe we finally get some more jobs here in NW Montana
here's a link for those interested
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_6d144c40-91ae-11e2-8775-0019bb2963f4.html

The facility is about 3 miles east of my house

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 06:43 PM
they finally figured out they can't make one themselves eh?

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-21-2013, 06:46 PM
wonder if they will make the Handi barrels :p

Johnch
03-21-2013, 06:49 PM
wonder if they will make the Handi barrels :p

They might be to spec then

Not .461 as my 45/70 barrel is

John

elginrunner
03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Who did they buy out?

rockrat
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Montana Rifleman

firefly1957
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Johnch My Springfield was made in 1889 and also has a .461 groove depth it shoots well with as cast Lee .459 H.B. bullet.

MtGun44
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Never heard of this company. Read the article and saw that the made over 300,000 barrels last year.
Who are they selling them to? Any ideas? AR barrels? How much is replacement bbls since the
evil pukes at ATF just decided that all those surplus barrels needed to be cut up on the parts kits.
Custom rifles? Production - like one of the majors? Maybe they have been selling them to Remington
and they decided to bring it in-house.

Bill

uscra112
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Ingestion into a large corporation is likely to bring the product quality and productivity down to corporate level within three years. In all my career I never saw it to fail.

Nobade
03-21-2013, 09:01 PM
This is kind of odd since Remington itself is up for sale last I heard. Cerebrus was starting to divest itself of gun makers after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Montana rifleman makes/made some reasonably decent barrels, about on the same level as Green Mountain. Button rifled and selling for under $100 retail. Seems Remington's hammer forging machines could put them to shame though.

-Nobade

waksupi
03-22-2013, 01:08 AM
The Montana barrels had really went up in quality. We installed hundreds of them on rifles,that all shot sub MOA. Inspecting them with a bore scope showed them to be finished better than Lilja, or any other custom barrel. They haven't been $100 for a long time. They have been supplying barrels to several of the major manufacturers the past few years.

429421Cowboy
03-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Had not heard that yet, hopefully it stays local and keeps/creates jobs.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-22-2013, 01:47 AM
I have heard some bad things about their barrels over the years. My personal experience has been quite different though.
The former owner (Brian Sipe) used to rent a building from my dad when we first bought this property. I had him make a 280 Remington barrel for a Mauser 98
and it shoots like a dream,

runfiverun
03-22-2013, 03:56 AM
not too many left that ain't under a big umbrella anymore is there?

Hickory
03-22-2013, 05:47 AM
This is kind of odd since Remington itself is up for sale last I heard. -Nobade

Even sick and dying fish have to eat.

GARCIA
03-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Got nothing but good to say about them.
They built me a 7mm STW on a P14 action that is nothing short of a dream.
Then sent them a SAKO AV action and had it barrelled to 257 STW.
Just another dream rifle.
Hopefully they will still offer gunsmithing services.

Tom

Screwbolts
03-22-2013, 07:05 AM
I have a Montana Rifleman barrel on my 36" 50BMG upper, they are Top uality as previously posted. And there is many companies I haven't heard of yet, that are making a quality product. :-)

kysunfish
03-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Is this the outfit that makes and sells Montana Actions? If so they make some really fine pre-64 style actions in different lengths and both R&L hand. Hate to see some bean counter mess up a quality product. Sunfish

Wayne Smith
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
They sold me a barrel for my 25 Kraig AI, when my gunsmith gets it made I'll let you know how it shoots!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Is this the outfit that makes and sells Montana Actions?
The company was the same out fit, but had split into 2, one barrel company and one building the actions & rifles.
I do not know the "legal" structure of the business, I hadnt talked to Brian in years
The actions are investment cast by Ruger to their specs

rbertalotto
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens to the Montana Rifle action since it is forged by Pine Tree Forging which is owned by Ruger.

Think Ruger will continue to supply material to Remington.

The reason Remington is buying this company is for the barrels. There hasn't been a Remington built in the last 15 years that can hold a candle to the accuracy of a Savage. Hammer forged barrels is a black art as far as accuracy goes. Remington is simply sick and tired of not producing accurate rifles and had to do something to reverse the trend

The button rifled Savage barrels have proven themselves over the last 15 years. Remington accuracy has barely maintained minute of deer, never mind building a production gun that could stay under 1.5 MOA.

kysunfish
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens to the Montana Rifle action since it is forged by Pine Tree Forging which is owned by Ruger.

The reason Remington is buying this company is for the barrels. There hasn't been a Remington built in the last 15 years that can hold a candle to the accuracy of a Savage. Hammer forged barrels is a black art as far as accuracy goes. Remington is simply sick and tired of not producing accurate rifles and had to do something to reverse the trend

The button rifled Savage barrels have proven themselves over the last 15 years. Remington accuracy has barely maintained minute of deer, never mind building a production gun that could stay under 1.5 MOA.

Remington take offs are a dime a dozen for the most part

Love Life
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM

I beg to differ on the Remington accuracy issues. My 2 Remington 700 rifles are both sub MOA at 100. The plethora of 20 inch Remington 700 SPS rifles people have around here are sub MOA guns from the factory. All of these rifles have been made in the last 15 years. I think alot of accuracy issues talked about are the shooter and not the rifle. Just an observation of the many, many, many Remington rifles people around here own.

You ask "How many Remington 700 rifles are there around you?" Close to 35 because they are cheap, and can be built up into a world class rifle if the wallet allows. I am a bit more snobby and prefer the FN SPR A5M for long range goodness, but out to 300 the average Remingtons are hanging in very well. At that point everybody begins to complain about the gun sucking, but when myself or others shoot their guns it all of a sudden works better. Odd...

All that being said I have heard it from a Gunsmith I trust 100%, and a few others that their barrels are not the best of the best. So my experience can be taken with a grain of salt, and is not the gospel.

Plus they are not butt ugly like the savage action...

dkf
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Remington (freedom group) will probably string the company along for a few years making barrels, then shut the plant down and merge it into a current operation somewhere. Have yet to see or hear anything that the Freedom Group gets their hands on that actually is improved.

felix
03-22-2013, 12:13 PM
The 700 barrels were button rifled from the beginning, right? The varmint special barrels, for sure, were done by Douglas back in the 70s. Walther was the inventor of the process way back when and several decades later was picked up by the BR crowd which Mike Walker of Remington was a member. ... felix

km101
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Now maybe Remington can get back to producing the kind of rifles and accuracy that they had in the 60's and 70's. My 2 year old 6mm is not nearly as accurate as my '68 version. I've always liked their actions but lately I cant say much for their barrels. Hope this will change now.