PDA

View Full Version : What else do you guys do for fun?

ShooterAZ
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Besides casting, loading & shooting, what other hobbies and pastimes do you enjoy? Here are some of my favorite things:

1) Long Range deep sea fishing out of San Diego. Too bad, because the cost of the trips have nearly doubled in the last 10 years. Dang fuel surcharges and Mexican permits!

2) Metal Detecting, been doing it for 17 years now and enjoy it a lot.

3) Gold prospecting and treasure hunting.

4) Boating & fishing up at Lake Powell.

5) Pretty Women...

rockrat
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
GOLF, ride my Harley and sometimes, go flying (with the price of gas, its not much) and read a good book

Marvin S
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Fresh water fishing. Antique machinery to include small tractors and such to use in my garden and orchard. Use to restore a few cars and trucks. Still ride my two Harleys.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm a flyfisher/floater. This, of course involves hobbies like tying flies, building the occasional fishing rod,
and last summer I built a new frame for my pontoon boat. (Chiwaneese made one pooped out)
Also heavily involved in local asphalt short track racing. No driving for me, just crew chief, build engines, build complete race cars,
and keep them running. 5 track records, & last year broke my streak of 7 continuous championships. Lost by 4 points :(

sparky45
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Woodworking, specifically woodturning; gardening and my new hobby teaching myself to weld with a MIG I got for Christmas.

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
this is it.
I barely have enough time to make boolits do what I want them to do.
I might go fishing occasionally, or play with the mustang a bit.
but shooting lead in a rifle faster than poop sound takes time and effort.

btroj
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I fish a bit, hunt some. Have tied a few flies.
This is my primary hobby. I don't have time for much else.

Case Stuffer
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Radio controlled air planes,helicopters , off road trucks and in the past racing boats , Ham Radio but not so much since the age of the cell phone . During the summer flowers , shurbs and spriging Zoshia grass and pumping water for the yard from a branch on my property. I am retired so plenty of times for hobbies.

dagger dog
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
1. I swing a metal detector too
2. Pounding hot iron and steel into different unrecognizeable shapes
3. Growing chilies and other good stuff to eat
4. Keeping my old TO 35 Massey from falling apart
5. Constantly feeding a couple very large sinkholes
6. Dulling lawn mower blades is lots of fun
7. Making fishing lure decorations for all the trees that line the DNR lakes and rivers in my area.

dragonrider
03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Woodworking, machining for stuff other than gunstuff. Vegatable garden in the summer. Brewing the occaisional batch of beer. This forum and another on woodworking.

Reverend Al
03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Most of my time is related to shooting, loading, coaching new shooters ... and lately this forum!

I also like to cook (didja guess from all the recipes I posted lately?) and when the weather is decent enough we drive and display our '68 California Special Mustang. We're trying to get a new 2 car garage finished so that Mustang number 2 (a '65 Fastback that I've owned for 33 years now) can finally get finished and put back on the road. Family takes up quite a bit of time, but that's OK!

dragon813gt
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
1. Sleeping. I never get enough of it because I'm always doing something.
2. Anything outdoors related. Hunting/Camping/Hiking and just hanging out w/ my dog in the woods.
3. Doing absolutely nothing at my cabin in the Poconos. Won't be happening this year because it's time to pretty much rebuild it.
4. Modifying watercooled VWs. Mostly MKIVs and MKIIs. All this hobby does is cost me tens of thousands with no returns. I'm death to a car if I start wrenching on it for some reason. And every shop I go to seems to be the same way. I should have put all that money into my house.
5. Rehabbing my house. At 113yo it's like the cabin and needs to be rebuilt. I guess it's not really a hobby but it eats up a lot of my time. And unlike vehicles I can do everything and have it turn out perfectly.

Boyscout
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
I do the following:

1) Flintknapping
2) Flytying and flyfishing
3) Make turkey calls (scratch box and wing bone)
4) Read
5) Sleep in front of the television
6) Archery64863

jcwit
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Used to be very active outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. also helped wife run our retail business.

I'm now retired and disabled from injuries way back in the Service in the 60's. So my hobbies have turned to collecting, not much hard activity needed to do this. I collect the old double edged razors and watches. Amazing what some of the old Gillette razors are worth.

edler7
03-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Observational astronomy and some astrophotography. I've had up to 5 telescopes, but currently am down to 2.
Fishing
Woodworking
Always looking for something new that trips my trigger.

autofix4u
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Hunting, shooting, and riding Atvs woth my 4 Children.(Well 3 these days since the oldest is in collage).
Also enjoy metal working, gunsmithing.
The wife and I spend a couple weekends a year on the river coneing and camping.

JWFilips
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm with Elder7: Observational Astronomy (It's in my blood)
Custom muzzleloader building & 17th & 18th century firelock restorations ( http://www.jimfilipski.com)
Revolutionary War Re-enacting ( http://www.captainselinscompany.org)

Not a shameless plug ..since I'm selling neither;)

btroj
03-21-2013, 09:37 PM
JW, those are some fine looking firearms you make.

Blanket
03-21-2013, 09:44 PM
other than paying dearly for all the stuff I did for fun in the first 50 years every morning, I have a very nice machine and fab shop 10 ft from my back door, love to fish for trout and all that goes with it, restoring bamboo rods, tying flys ect. Real passion for fishing for 10lb plus walleyes. Shooting praire dogs, coyotes, and crows takes a lot of the weeks. Building very accurate rifles, coming up with your own cartridge designs and making them. Working on old farm equipment and tractors (1947 8n right now)mowing grass, raising cows, cutting wood, gardening. But best of all setting on the porch, watching the sun set with my wife of 30 plus years and a cold beer

Swamp Man
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Well I fish mostly catfishing,collect reels & rare tackle and grow & hybridize tetraploid daylilies.

Marvin S
03-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Jim, that is some good looking stuff you build.

TXGunNut
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I get to hunt once or twice a year and I'm trying to build a workshop to move a few toys and tools out of the house. Have a couple of little raised gardens that keep the menu interesting and I'll build a utility knife from a Track of the Wolf kit now and then. It's almost Cub Cadet season, seems like most weekends I'm either driving it or crawling under it.

Cane_man
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
i like to run over cats with my son's silverado.... j/k :)

41 mag fan
03-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I do what everyone in IN does...or at least around my county. It's the biggest past time and talk of the area in the spring and summer.
It starts out each morning, 6:30am on the dot. It's like a loud whistle going off, because at exactly 6:30am, you'll see everyone running off their porch thru their yard with a yard stick.
When I say run, we are all running, like we got a fire under our as*.
Next thing is you'll start hearing alot of whooping and hollering going on and numbers being yelled out.
The hollering and whooping is because we had just sprinted and measured our favorite corn or bean plant to see how much it grew overnight!!

PULSARNC
03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Do some woodworking and such when i have the time .Want to try leatherwork when I can scrap up the extra money .Other than that hunt and fish as much as I can .

theperfessor
03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I hear you. One year my father planted some tomato plants real early and told neighbors they would bear quickly. He put them in the ground and about a week later he snuck out at night and wired some styrofoam balls he had painted red onto the tomato stalks. Waits until everyone is up next day and looking around neighborhood and he goes out with basket and makes big show of "harvesting" his "tomatoes". This was all behind fence far enough that you couldn't see things very well.

Only Hoosiers!

GT27
03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
My other hobby is chasin' the wife around the house,sometimes she lets me catch her,to her disappointment she says...:-x

x101airborne
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
This is GREAT. Thanks guys for sharing.
I have always had a thing for handmade knives. I couldnt make a (insert something insanely easy here), but I love handmade knives. I read a lot and dream a lot, but that is pretty much where it stops.
I like killin some piggies. I am about as close to a Jihad Afficianiaodo as it gets. Short of my kids saying I love you, a fat sow in my sights is as close to Zen as I get. I am really happy to hear that I am no the only person who appreciates the hand made items.
Keep em coming guys!

x101airborne
03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
My other hobby is chasin' the wife around the house,sometimes she lets me catch her,to her disappointment she says...:-x

I gues you like playing "Big Chief" also!

9.3X62AL
03-21-2013, 10:38 PM
The casting and reloading is a support system for hunting and defensive-shooting practice, to put priorities into proper order. In times of shortages (like the current Hoarder/Flipper/Chicken Little phase) my shooting slows way down, and I do a lot more fishing--both fresh- and saltwater. I have a 17' Triumph CC/60 HP Yamaha to do that with. To hell with throwing elbows and trading ashkicks to score primers, I'll be yo-yo-ing yellowtail off La Jolla or the Coronados. There is one h--l of a lot more to life than just shooting. Sure, I enjoy it--but when it becomes a chore to find the components needed to pursue the hobby, I do something else.

sljacob
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
1-run about twenty five or thirty head of cattle
2- do a little braid work now and again
3-welding projects
4-try and keep up with my 10yr old daughter

xs11jack
03-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Doing a lot of volunteer work lately. Fishing. Metal detecting for 30 years, all kinds of metal working, woodworking, motorcycles, just tinkering in general.
Jack

MOcaster
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Besides reloading and shooting? Recently they have been my main focus, but every now and then some woodworking, a little blacksmithing (if beating red hot metal with a hammer into shapes that want to be a knife could be called blacksmithing), amateur pyrotechnics, which goes hand in hand very well with reloading, especially when rockets or targets(hehe) can be made, reading, and trying to find reloading components (then figuring out whether or not it would be worth it to buy them). I would like to make knives, but like I said earlier, they are a huge failure.

Gliden07
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Last 11/2 years not much being unemployed. But I'm going to school to get my HVAC/R Lic and Oil burner too. Should Graduate in the next 4 months or so. Then hopefully find a job!! So I will be able to ride my Harley a lot more, I want to get me a 49-51 Ford Hot Rod at some point! And I want to move out of my God Forsaken State to a firearm friendly state with some common sense and fewer Liberal Dems!! I got BIG PLANS!!! Life is good!!

wallenba
03-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Most of my physical activities other than casting, reloading and shooting have been set aside due to age and health problems. Back is the worst culprit. When I can, and the sky is clear and light pollution low, I wheel out either my 8" Celestron Newtonian or my 5" Scmidt-Cassegrain telescopes and watch the night sky.

Kull
03-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Fly tying, morel hunting, gardening, auto mechanics, bit of welding now and then, horseback riding when I get the chance.

Harter66
03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I hunt some ,more ducks than anything really. So I paint a few deks every years . I've big ol' desert bike I get to ride 2-3 times a year more if I've someone to go with. Obviously I shoot some, and have begun to dabble in some cap & ball revolvers and still play w/a pair of Hawken rifles. Some light gun smithing . I've acquired the 56' Ford F100 I took my very 1st car ride in back in 66' , a 54' Ford F100 and the 59' Ranchero I drove to school.

Ol' Butch
03-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Been retired 3 years this July 1st. Having the time of my life.

Got back into off road and dual sport motorcycling after 40 years of road riding. Rode the Lincoln highway, the first coast to coast all weather route, from Times square NYC to San Fransisco including hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads solo. Just spent 3 weeks in Big Bend TX doing days and days of on and off road riding.

Next project is to move from Wisconsin to Northwest Arkansas. Better riding, better weather and more sensible people.

deep creek
03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
I cast boolits for my muzzys and 44.I trap in the fall fox,coyotes cats,pine marten and this year wolves!Hunt deer elk ,antelope.Love ice fishing.I stay at my cabin on Henrys Lake in the summer and fish alot.I had to retire cause work was interfering with my play!;-)

Adam10mm
03-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Besides hunting/shooting related stuff...

- Homebrewing beer (mostly German styles)
- Learning about raising livestock (pigs, chickens, beef cattle)
- Butchering and charcuterie (starting to get into meat smoking)
- General cooking (love to grill, barbecue, campfire, dutch oven, conventional oven, etc)

That's really about it that isn't hunting/shooting related. Thing I'm focused on the most is raising livestock, butchering, and charcuterie.

Idaho Mule
03-22-2013, 01:16 AM
I still have to work to pay for my bad habits, but am getting closer to recess time (retirement). Hunt deer ,elk and bear as well as lots of small game and varmints. I load my own of course, and have been casting my own for close to 3 yrs now. Ran my string of mules for over 20 years but am worn out from that and actually trying to sell the last 4 that I have. Follow my two son's and their activities as closely as I can. We do quite a bit of camping, fishing, 4-wheeling, mushroom picking, berry picking, and a little canning. Also do quite a bit of dutch oven cooking. In my spare time I raise a few beef and am still haying about 80 acres. JW

quack1
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Other than casting and shooting, I hunt a lot, mostly ducks, turkeys, squirrels and ground hogs and a little of everything else in season. I also refinish, repair, checker, and make gun stocks, do a little photography, fish and keep the lab in shape and trained. Now that I'm retired it keeps me busy enough that I wonder how I did all that stuff when I worked. And, last but not least, still working on accepting the fact that the wife is gone.

kenyerian
03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
i raise Beagles, go to a few field trials and do a lot of hunting with a TC with a 45/410 barrel. Love fishing, farm a little and spend time with the Grand kids.

VintageRifle
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/22/dyrehadu.jpg

shooterg
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Besides shooting, reloading,casting ? Since they now pay me to stay away from work, I'm the cook and dishwasher. My bride is a wonderful mate but never was much of a cook, so that works out.
Used to play ball, too old now. Still have a '72 Harley somewhere and a '68 Dart that needs work.
BUT, also have a 2 year old grandson that is the center of and the absolute joy of our lives. Don't miss anything else when we keep that little man !

Mlcompound
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I like to ride dirt bikes when I get a chance. Although for the most part I just work all the time.

PepperBuddha
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM

Wal'
03-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Sailing...26' T/S, Photography..collecting old lenses, Volunteer firefighter....driver, MTB..Commencal Premier Plus, still ride the trail bike occasionally...TT600, but hurts a little these days when I come off. [smilie=l:

Love the shooting & all it needs to keep feeding the habit & some hunting.

WILCO
03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Model railroading, bird watching, cast iron cookware, outdoor activities, building my personal library, practice the fine art of being a Gentleman, just to name a few.

DHurtig
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Making fishing lures,
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/Lure6.jpg

Predator calls
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/fEB09CALL3.jpg

and turkey calls.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/Feb09call2.jpg

Spend time with the dogs and most importantly with my grand daughter. After 7 by passes and a bout with cancer, the wife won't let me hunt or fish alone anymore, so don't get to do that as much as I'd like. Dale

destrux
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Fast cars... mostly import (the actual fast ones, not the stickers and wings crowd). I drive a ~400hp Toyota Supra and two years ago it brought a halt to my shooting related hobby while I dedicated a couple hundred hours to restoring it.

I also ride dirtbikes, I have a Suzuki RM125 with a big bore kit and a full assortment of woods armor.

Hmm... what else...

Oh, well I guess you could count video games. I'm very into the Fallout game series. I logged over 600 hours into Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I especially enjoy that you can collect reloading components (powder, casings, primers, and LEAD to cast bullets!) and handload your own custom ammo in this game. Hot handloads actually wear the gun out faster than factory loads (and "plinking" loads wear the gun very slowly).

km101
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Reading when the weather is bad. Love my Kindle!
Hunting: deer, turkey, quail, dove
Bass fishing
Leatherwork
Knifemaking - not much any more, but thinking of getting back into it.

smokemjoe
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
please delete this post,

smokemjoe
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Shooting my bowling ball and beer can mortors. Looking for a street rod now, Joe

popper
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Dulling lawn mower blades is lots of fun - I like that one. Filling the vacuum bag. Can't cook more than a PB sandwich - don't want to compete with the Mrs. Casting, reloading and shooting is my retirement hobby.

Gliden07
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Now that looks like fun!!

Dave C.
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
In no set order:
Casting, reloading, shooting conventional pistol (bullseye). Building 1911's
and old jeeps and fast cars. Gardening and photography.

Dave C.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
besides the shooting sports and all that entails...gardening, homebrewing and wine making. some bicycling and cuttin' firewood. sometimes I take on a small engine/lawn equipment project, but that hobby has mostly run it's course. I use to play with electronics (back in the day before the pentium processor)...BUT, that too has run it's course. Dirt biking and snowmobiling...back when the machines were ALL single cylinder. My most fun vacation (back in the 80s) was hauling my street legal trail bike (XL350R) out to WY and spent 5 days in the big horns scoutin' around...I put 500 miles on the bike that week.

lightman
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, I hunt, mostly deer. I have a regular group of friends that come dove hunt at the end of summer, on opening weekend. This is an organized southern style hunt, with beer and BBQ (after the hunt of course). Two or three days of it! I drink beer as a hobby. Not to get drunk, but we hit a lot of beer tastings and festivals.We went to Denver last fall to the Great American Beer Fest, and plan to attend again this year. I have a dedicated beer fridge with maybe 35-40 different beers, and these change constantly. You guys that home brew really have my interest! I started hunting Indian Artifacts about four years ago. Its good exercise, cheap, and to me, fun. I've found about 15 or so points, so far this year, and the best time to hunt is not quite here yet! Found two, yesterday! I'm also kind of a work-a-holic, I do electrical work as a sideline. It helps pay for those other hobbies! I also have a nice shop. I weld, and work on all kinds of things. Lightman

Love Life
03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I wander the hills, mountains, and desert in search of that ever elusive golden flake.

I practice making wood items with hand tools. Quite the learning curve, but I'm getting there.

Making home made wine

Fishing

Reading

btroj
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
My wife just told me that doing projects around the house to keep her happy is fun........

We all know how many of those there are. Heck, I just have too much fun!

scottiemom
03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
read, knit, make jewelry and other things with polymer clay, cook, like to shoot rimfire benchrest and my model 19 and we are learning to garden this year!

garym1a2
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Between work, driving to work, feeding cats, dogs and horses almost no time to even reload.

375supermag
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Other hobbies and interests..

I study military history, mostly WWII and paleontology(human and dinosaurs).
Build scale models, mostly WWII armor.
Do as much hunting as I can and fit in the occasional hiking trip.
Hope to retire at 62...about 3-1/2 years from now.

Would like to do some serious woodworking when I retire.
Need to learn to cast bullets.

Lefty SRH
03-23-2013, 05:04 AM
Spend time with my young daughter
Competitive shooting, IDPA and 3 Gun
Hunt, fish, bowfish, getting interested in HAM radios to aid in hunting
I started casting to help with my competitive shooting costs but casting has turned into a hobby itself!

Plate plinker
03-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Shoot guns and read when I can.

missionary5155
03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Greetings
Desert walking... ride a 2 wheeler out somewhere and go for a strole.
Pocket watches.. rebuild and refurbish. Nothing like watching a balance wheel take off after laying dormant for 50 years.
Meeting people.... What a vast history awaits.. and helping a few along the way.
Machines... any type. What makes them tick. The interaction of the individual parts to the whole aparatus. Some are just marvels.
Mike in Peru

shtur
03-24-2013, 12:43 AM
I like to hunt deer, elk and small game (grouse & rabbits). I like canoeing & fishing, growing a garden every year. Trailer camping for grouse, rabbits, mushrooms, huckleberries and razor clams. I shoot an indoor .22 pistol league and compete in NRA .22 pistol matches.

DRNurse1
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
This is certainly a diverse group including, I am pleased to see, folks from other countries and at least one lady. I like that most folks answered with both what they do, whether well or poorly, and what they would like to do.

As for myself: retired twice but still working...I really like what I do and, for the most part, am able to help some folks each day I work; volunteer work with my church, the Boy Scouts ("...I used to be a Bear....), local EMS, and a local program to introduce interested high school students to various health care careers; try to improve my marksmanship; and, lately, join my whole family in a fun pistol league for the summer (they could have warned me last fall that they were thinking about this!!!).

Looking back at this list, it looks like I am and eternal student: I spend a part of my work life keeping up to date on changes in my industry, I think I learn more from my volunteer activities each day, and learning to shoot those fine cast boolits.

Fair winds and following seas to all y'all.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Farming/Gardening
Working on and using old Sears Suburbans
Canoeing/Fishing

dhaid-06
03-26-2013, 11:33 PM
I've got three kids under 4 years old. Currently my hobbies include diapers, giving horsey rides, and Lincoln logs.

runfiverun
03-26-2013, 11:48 PM
it sucks enjoy it because they graduate high school in about two months.

TheGrimReaper
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Man, you are me making me think! What do I do besides cast, reload, scrounge lead, smelt, and occasionaly shoot??? Hunt a little, and fish a little in the spring. It seems I am always at work, does that count?

gifford
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Muzzleloading and wood bow archery.

Not talented enough to build a gun but I do enjoy shooting them.

I have made a few osage wood bows, quivers, and turkey fletched wood arrows, the primitive side of archery if you will. Tried knapping but just made little rocks out of bigger ones. I'll leave that to others.

Jal5
03-27-2013, 10:38 PM
My other hobby is boating. Have an old 1985 ish inboard outboard speedboat that I keep running each summer. Great fun.

phil3333
03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I like to hunt,play golf,woodwork and most of all I like to chase my wife
around the house:grin:

migtek02
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
I still work for a living and run a side business, so on my free time I play and teach my 3 kids as appropriate for their age what they need to know. I cast late at night when insomnia kicks in, on Long weekends we hit the lake to barb q and ride jet-skies.

quilbilly
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Bass fishing (yes, even on the Olympic Peninsula), rockhounding, mushroom hunting, and mentoring a couple young outdoor writers into the craft.

farmall666
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
We race Midgets, takes up most of my free time and all of my extra money.65641

reloaderman
03-30-2013, 11:25 AM
WOW there's so much else to do! I might try some of these things!

TheGrimReaper
03-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Man, you are me making me think! What do I do besides cast, reload, scrounge lead, smelt, and occasionaly shoot??? Hunt a little, and fish a little in the spring. It seems I am always at work, does that count?

Oh, and I watch way too much TV!

BW64
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
90% of my hard earned money was spent on fast cars, women & guns! The rest I wasted! Golf, country western dancing & loving my wife. :)

Wayne Smith
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
LOML says I have too many hobbies. Just got home from singing two Easter services, Church choir since I was 16. Do some woodwork, currently have the 4th coat of Tung oil on my 03-A3 stock. Read, mostly History. Fishing when I can, tie flies at times. I have a garage full of woodworking tools, so I guess collecting them is a necessary hobby. Made our entertainment center, clocks, pens, nutcracker handles, my loading benches, etc. Today I turned the soil of about 3/4 of the garden, we have been gardening with only partial success for years. Have taught Bible Study, written Bible Studies, and continue to study the Bible. I also cook breakfast for LOML and dinner on Saturday. Smoking meat is a favorite.

I still work full time, too.

Hamish
03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Spending as much time as possible with these two and planning our future tomfoolery,,,,,,

TheDoctor
03-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Two kids, both year round either in competitive swimming, baseball, basketball, soccer, football, scouts, band, and whatever else my wife comes up with. That, and running my own business, I really don't have much time for anything! Just making sure everything is online, teaching my boyos the best I can, running one or the other to a different activity, and staying on them so they maintain their straight A average. Shooting and loading are about the only things these days that I get to do for myself, and not near as much of that as I would like. Read as much as I can, both for pleasure, and knowledge. Enjoy learning new things, and expanding on what I already know. Hopefully soon, I can get set up with a good lathe and mill, and start learning more about machining.

AZ-JIM
03-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Right now work and side work are consuming most of my time, but that will end soon....side work anyway....its gonna get hot here in AZ soon. I tried trapping this season and all I got all season was a skunk, I let it go but it was a fun experience. I would like to try making a Damascus knife blade sometime with a nice antler handle. I've slowly been getting into radio control planes, I want to be good at it but not sure I can afford too! HAM radio when I can. Archery, I took a tree squirrel last season with a 20 yard neck shot about 8 feet off the ground. That was probably the most rewarding hunting experience I have had so far. If I'm lucky one of these days I 'll get where some of you guys are and be cutting wood and doing more fishing when I'm not casting and reloading.

az-jim

Don Purcell
03-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Cast boolits, build scale model airplanes, read A LOT mostly history, reload, the wife and I chase each other around the house(I let her catch me sometimes HA!) watch nascar with my son, indulge in our grandchildren. Bought a lathe and mill to learn machining, gathering supplies to get back into building radio control scale airplanes. Plan to retire at the end of the year and expect things to REALLY get busy.

wolff
04-01-2013, 02:16 AM
+1 "Long Range deep sea fishing out of San Diego. Too bad, because the cost of the trips have nearly doubled in the last 10 years. Dang fuel surcharges and Mexican permits!"

*Building up 1/16 scale Tamiya Tiger w/full RC option.
*High Power Rocketry (Tripoli Level II)
*Pyrotechnics (member Western Pyrotechnic Association)
*making ridiculously large wind chimes from big gas cylinders
casting/moldmaking things like Silicon molds for directly casting pewter items; body casts, sculpture art.
*<hopefully in my lifetime> finally build blank-firing replicas of a Storm Trooper Blaster from "Star Wars"(they used Sterling SMGs); and Deckard's (Harrison Ford) Blaster from "Blade Runner" (mash-up of Charter Arms revolver, Steyr Mannlicher receiver and more).
*Caring for our pair of Giant African Sulcata Tortoises -- Oscar and Luna are nearing 30 yrs old; she weighs close to 80lbs, and he's around 115lbs: (yes, that's a standard-size trash can)

dragon813gt
04-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Just bought another hobby :)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/72/A2C77BC4-AA51-47D7-8D28-0AE91BFC69EA-1565-0000007A43B254ED.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/72/518D60FF-27DA-486A-8D2B-96B5D9866120-2522-000000E0F481FDA8.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/72/B3FC760E-7659-4F0A-A8EC-D21CEAEB214D-2522-000000E0FBE6FA8A.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/72/C0D95813-2747-4B02-8A63-9993771D7BE8-1565-0000007A4D2E059C.jpg

longshot1154
04-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Lets see, take my son to his karate lesson, take my son to his baseball practices, take my son to his boy scout meetings and outings, take my son to his guitar lessons.....All kidding aside, I spend as much time with my son and wife as possible. Grew up pretty poor with just my mom and sister, so now I make up for it with my son and wife.

Area Man
04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I love making bread, trail running and playing video games and I'm training for a triathlon

Larry D.
04-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Reading (mostly history) cooking, collecting WWII militaria.
Contemplating getting into leather-work.