PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

nhrifle
03-21-2013, 01:54 AM
I just got hired as a part time gunsmith at my LGS. The owner is overwhelmed by the amount of work that has come in and I applied on a whim after reading the sign posted on the door that stated no new gunsmithing work would be accepted until further notice. I start this Saturday.

He called me later at home concerned because we hadn't discussed salary. I was so wrapped up in the fact that I get to go play with guns in my favorite gun shop ever, it never occured to me to talk about pay. I told him we could talk about that when I get there. Problem is, what is fair pay for a beginning gunsmith who knows his way aound firearms and has good mechanical, welding and machining skills?

Charlie Two Tracks
03-21-2013, 06:32 AM
That can be a tough one. What is the prevailing wage for similar work in your area? How much production do you get out versus being at the desk selling or answering questions. Your own tools or his. Flexible schedule or not. Do you have to deal with the public? That is a big factor there.

Area Man
03-21-2013, 06:46 AM
http://www.highersalary.com/maintenance/gunsmithing/

There are many similar sites. A simple google of "gunsmith salaries" will turn up a few from general to highly detailed with info on geographic regions, etc..

41 mag fan
03-21-2013, 07:18 AM
If you don't need the money....couple of guns a month is a fair trade in my book!!!

P.K.
03-21-2013, 07:36 AM
If you don't need the money....couple of guns a month is a fair trade in my book!!!

Bingo! Since it's just PT go with a scale according to the work done. A good machine shop is what a buck a minute while working a project down here so the ball is in your court so to speak. IMO 41 mag fan's suggestion would be letting him off easy if it's not a Holland & Holland Royal Grade or some such. ;-)

45bpcr
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
If, you can competently operate a vertical head milling machine and lathe, I would say part time work would be in the neighborhood of $20.00 and hour.
Old School machinists are hard to find.

45bpcr

nhrifle
03-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm really hoping this turns into a full-time gig for me.