PDA

View Full Version : What's WWs in ingots worth?

crabo
08-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I may have found a way to help support my cast bullet habit. How would I determine what the worth of WWs cast into ingots? I may have found a resonably priced source, and if I could sell some of them, already smelted into bars, it would help offset my own addiction and habit.

Is there a market for this type of metal?

Thanks,
Crabo

mike in co
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
they are worth nothing, fact is they are a problem for most, so just ship them to me, and i'll figure something to do wiht them.

the local scrap yard pays .25-.30 for ww, and .30-.55 for bullet lead( that 55 is for 30,000 lb 's)

i have been trying to sell soft lead at .75 but few buyers

my guess is you wont get much over .25..........

mike

shotstring
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Ingots cast from WW have been going for .60 to .70 per pound on Ebay. Now with the gun part situation, I imagine you will see a lot of lead for making fishing sinkers advertized. ;o)

If I ever found WW on Ebay going for as low as 50 cents a pound including shipping I would buy it all, but so far it all has been going for a bit over that. Cheaper to just deal with the clips and such and make my own ingots.

Still, I keep an eye out....

floodgate
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
mike in co:

What size ingots for the "soft lead"? Is this pure lead, "plumber's" lead grade, or soft range scrap? If "plumber's" or better, packed about 40 lbs. (x $0.75 = $30) in a 2-lb Flat Rate box (to keep the PO people reasonably happy), double-boxed for - say - $10.00 handling and postage, that'd be about $1.00 a pound, which beats what I can get it for locally, and I'd go a couple hundred lbs. (5 boxes) at that rate. Post here or PM me.

floodgate

davidsparks
08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I would be interested in ingots or even unmelted ww's.

Hip's Ax
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Yep, I'd be interested in a decent amount of both WW and pure lead in ingots sent in flat rate boxes. Say three boxes of pure and two of WW at about 40 to 50 pounds per box. Of course it would have to be packed correctly, I've heard a lot of stories of empty boxes being delivered. I would be willing to pay for this as well.

Hit me with a price.

armoredman
08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Ditto, if you don't mind small lots.

leftiye
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
If the shipper completely wraps the USPS box with nylon reinforced tape (all three ways) it will hold up okay. I have seen boxes wrapped two ways let go in the corners which were not reinforced. Regardless, when shipping lead ingots, the box will completely break down and end up more closely resembling a bag with all the markings intact.

Hip's Ax
08-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I've heard of guys cutting plywood to line the boxes to get them there intact.

ktw
08-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I have shipped 65+ lbs of ingots in the flat rate box without any problems. One of them hit the postal scale at 69.98lbs.

The trick is to tape up the ingots into a solid brick and pack all of the empty space left in the box with folded cardboard. Tape the exterior up well with packing tape.

If you can prevent any shifting of the contents during transit you shouldn't have any significant problems getting max weight out of the box. If you put them in there loose you are asking for trouble.

-ktw

trickyasafox
08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
i'd gladly pay 50 cents per lb in ingots + shipping. i could probably only buy in single box lots though, if thats worth your time PM me.

ANeat
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
The bad part of course is the shipping. Paying $10.00 to ship 50lbs adds .20 a pound to the price of the alloy. Not to mention the hassle of doing a quality packing job. In the past Ive got lead locally for .20 to .30 a pound, add the time and cost associated with smelting it down and it would be tough for me to sell it for less than a buck a pound shipped.

Ive sold a good bit of Lino for $1.00 a pound shipped and If I had it to do over I probably wouldnt do it again. I was helping a friend in need so that had as much to do with it as anything. :drinks:

The harder the stuff is to get It seems like Im more satisfied just hanging on to it.

cohutt
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I was helping a friend in need so that had as much to do with it as anything. :drinks:

Yes, your lino traded for my pure allowed me to start casting a suitable alloy while i was still scrounging for harder alloys. :cool:

ANeat
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Yea; that to Cohutt, almost forgot about the swapin:mrgreen:

One of our Texas buddies got a good bit as well[smilie=1:
I dont mind swapin as much as sellin for sure. :Fire:

cohutt
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Yea; that to Cohutt, almost forgot about the swapin:mrgreen:

One of our Texas buddies got a good bit as well[smilie=1:
I dont mind swapin as much as sellin for sure. :Fire:

I agree- rather swap than sell. Don't mind some buying though, regardless of the CRB image some of us try and maintain:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/misc016.jpg

USARO4
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I just could'nt bear to part with any of my hard earned stash of lead. I'm at 8000lbs now and plan on expending it 115gr, 148gr, 156gr, 230gr, or 255gr at a time. I'm happily obsessed.

shotstring
08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Gosh USARO4, heres to hoping you never have to move.