PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder?

linotype
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
OK, have to admit that my mind is wandering, but I have to ask with a smile.

Re-watching some old TV Westerns and old Westerns, and happened to think about the camp fire scenes where the cow pokes sat around drinking coffee and having a meal.
I can understand a camp fire when the camp is near a river/stream and there might be trees about, but what about the desert and dry areas with no water, no trees, and maybe not even a cactus nearby?
Most of the riders are shown traveling light, maybe a saddlebag or two, no bed roll. Where the heck did they come up with a hatch to split wood or trim down branches? Where did they store the food, coffee, tin cups, tin plates and silverware, and most of all, the half gallon or full gallon coffee pot? I'll give you the blanket was likely the horse blanket, but I've seen shows with a rain poncho or even a shelter tarp.

Yea, I know, shut up and eat my popcorn. :lol:

GRUMPA
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Heck........It's Hollywood.......just like a six shooter that shoots untold amounts of rounds and never needs to be reloaded.

1Shirt
03-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Sort of a western "don't ask-don't tell" type of thing I guess!
1Shirt!

DHurtig
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Buffalo or cow chips were a common source of fuel.

M-Tecs
03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
The chuck wagons had a coal or wood bin and they always had Buffalo of Cow chips. From what I have read individual riders carried a plate and a cup and most everything was heated an eaten out of this cup and plate.

When my Dad was growing up they had a neighbor that worked the Chisholm Trail. Dad’s 90 now and we were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. As Dad was growing up the neighbor was over quite often and would tell stories. He stated that he never carried a rifle but he did have a pistol. He also claimed most of the cowboys didn’t carry rifles and a lot them didn’t even carry pistols. How true the stories are or how accurate my Dad’s remembers them is questionable.

waksupi
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I always wanted the Lone Rangers saddle bags. He could sure carry a bunch o' stuff in those!

runfiverun
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
well if you notice they always only show the hero from the left side.
all that stuff was hanging on the right side of the horse.
that's why they could only get off and on from that side.
now when he needed to go into quick action he pawned everything off on his sidekick who rode ahead and set everything up.
something odd about those sidekicks anyway.....

Wayne Smith
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
It's a MOVIE! Don't expect reality, MOVIES are FANTASY, not reality.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
HEY! All that stuff in Josey Wales was accurate wasn't it?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
road to lonesome dove they show Deets , making the fire from wood carried on the pack mules.

but movies justs are not reality , there were only about 7 murders a year reported in the prime cattle drive years, for the hole of the western territories , most westerns have more than that, Hollywood wants movies that sell not boring films about hard work and reality

montana_charlie
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Bedrolls and other bulky personal belongings were loaded into the wagon which always accompanied any group who were going to be away from 'home' for any length of time.... and, they weren't 'cowpokes'.

Cowboys working on a ranch might be camped out during the roundup in the spring ... as it could take a few days to find all of the animals in that herd. They might have been called cowboys, or 'hands', but they weren't cowpokes.

Cowboys would camp out at night during the long drives to the northern railroad towns. They probably had enough sense to stop the herd for the night at a place with firewood ... if at all possible. They could have been called cowboys although 'drovers' was more likely as that was their job. But, they weren't cowpokes.

When the herd reached the railhead, the cattle were penned up in the stockyards.
There were railroad employees who shuffled the animals around in the alleys to place them in the appropriate pens. It was unusual to need horses for the work, but it was common to move along outside of the alley (where you can't get kicked or run over) and jab cows in the ribs with a stick to make them move.

Those stockyard workers were commonly called cowpokes ... for obvious reasons ... and no self-respecting cowboy would want to be saddled with that label.

wv109323
03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I doubt that the cattle were driven across desert areas where there was no water or grass. Cattle can lose tremendous amounts of weight in a days time without water and feed. A couple of days and the cattle would start to die.
I would think that they may carry a hatchet for reasons given.
My cousin traded for a Colt SAA many years ago. The butt of the grip and the grips were totally ruined. We guessed that the butt of the grip was used as a hammer to mend fences.
Hollywood is not always accurate.

nicholst55
03-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I was told that while traveling cross country in wagon trains, each wagon had a tarp or piece of canvas suspended beneath it. Those walking alongside (women and children) gathered buffalo chips and deposited them in the canvas for later use. True? I dunno, but it makes sense.

gray wolf
03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Dura Flame

xs11jack
03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
And it would seem that the higher the body count, the more successful and popular the film. (especially if they were indians).
Jack

Case Stuffer
03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Even the western movies based on real events are far from accurate. There never lived a hoarse that could be ridden hard for twenty miles .

My Dad was a Crew Chief on the Great American Horse Race , 2,000 miles from New York to Calif.and was always a big western movie fans but always complained how inaccurate they were.

Guess that is where I get some of my complaing from such as silincers on revolvers and on high power sniper rifles making 1,500 yard shots. Ever notice how quite a 9MM,40 S&W ,45 Glock is being fired in an office or even inside of a car.

hiram1
03-20-2013, 06:02 PM
MOVIES are FANTASY, not reality.They are not for real. are you sure.if not im hurt for sure i will have to take a chill pill.

dakotashooter2
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Dehydrated cooking utinsels..... You pulled them out of the saddle bags added a few drops of water and they re-hydrated for use. When you were done you just left them next to the fire overnight and they de-hydrated again......................................

Swamp Man
03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
You have interred the western Twilight Zone.

Mal Paso
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Everything not part of the cowboy's costume is supplied by the Props Dept and they have their own trucks.

linotype
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Wow, I was half kidding, but I guess I kicked out a grouse on that one. :lol:
Yes, I would like to believe I know the difference between reality and fantasy, then again at my age it could be more fantasy and wish it were true.
I wasn't thinking so much of cattle drives and wagon trains as much as lone riders, scouts, and patrols.
Hollywood does take liberties. Being around horses, even as a kid I knew horses couldn't run full out for miles.
And, yes, I was both over thinking it and being a wise guy.
Got to say, I enjoyed the comments.
Harim1 and Wayne Smith, movies are fantasy and a good place to hide out for awhile from the too much reality, as long as you know enough to leave the theatre when they are over. ;-)