PDA

View Full Version : Obermeyer barrels and 375/06 project

Olevern
03-20-2013, 04:31 AM
I have been contemplating a .375/06 project for some while and have found a 30-06 FN mauser action rifle for the rebarrel.
Does anyone know if Obermeyer makes a .375 barrel blank? I want cut rifling for cast boolits and his 5R has a reputation for accuracy, however, I cannot find any reference to a .375 blank on his site.

If not Obermeyer, whose barrel blank would be good for cast?

Second question; who is the go-to guy to properly fit a barrel? Should I purchase a reamer if the gunsmith doesn't have this caliber?? I hear that many rent them these days, but fear that the reamer might be worn if it has been heavily used.

Your considered guidance and experiences would be appreciated.

missionary5155
03-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Good morning
This is a project I have also contemplated and never got to yet.
But you might get more response down below in Gumsmithing. When I did my 414 Supermag Marlin project several fellers had good advice of items to know about.
Depending on barrel thickness you might want to give JES Reboring a jingle. Have had him do numerous barrels for me and all turned out good shooters. Have two caliber .412 rebores and probably four caliber .375's.
Mike in Peru

Olevern
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks, Mike,
If I don't get too much imput here I will try over there.

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I have one extra complete gun I would part with. It is on a 1903-a3 Springfield with a carbine length barrel about 20". I will have to check to be sure on the barrel length.
I have another on a Husky Mauser action with 26" barrel but I really like that one and want to keep it a while longer.
I have a reamer for the 375 Hawk/Scoville if your interested. This reamer is cut for the 30/06 case head and not the 9.3x62.

Olevern
03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
thanks, Bullshop, but I want to do this project to my specs and that includes wanting an FN action and choosing a barrel blank from a respected maker that will shine with cast. This will include throating the barrel appropriately for the boolit I intend to be the mainstay of my use.

Any opinion on barrel makers?

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I have had good luck with Packnor but that with jacketed bullets.
My Browning with Badger barrel shoots lead perty darn good.
If anyone else is interested the 375/06 I mentioned it has a brand new three groove rebore on the original barrel from Jes reboring.

runfiverun
03-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I believe the reamer might be a little easier to get if you look at the 375 whelen.
I would also talk to jrs it's pretty hard to re-bore without re-chambering.

M-Tecs
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Boots Obermeyer makes a great barrel but paper work and him don’t get along. Through the years I have purchased and installed maybe 30 Obermeyer barrels. I think I only ever had one delivered that was on order. The only way I ever got any was to call him up and ask what he had on hand that he could ship that day. If you can get them they are awesome. Since I haven’t been doing matches rifles I haven’t ordered anything from Boots in five years so I cannot comment on his current delivery times..

Boots has authorized John Krieger to produce 5R barrels. For the past five years I have only been build a ½ dozen rifles per year. Krieger is now my go to barrel maker. If Krieger tells me 12 weeks its 12 weeks plus or minus a week.

nicholst55
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
My understanding is that if you want a .30 Obermeyer barrel, you can get one in a (fairly) reasonable timeframe. Anything else, and you will be in for a (real) long wait. It's been a while since I heard that, and it may not still hold true. I'd look at Rock Creek or Krieger, personally.

rockrat
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I have a Shilen tube on my 38-55 bolt gun and can it shoot with the BRP 310gr boolit

Olevern
03-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Krieger makes only button rifled barrels, no?

shooter93
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
There are many great barrel makers around. If you want specific rifling, button or cut etc the field narrows some but not very much although 5R I believe will leave you two choices noted above. Douglas is a very underated barrel. We've put together more than one match rifle with them and they shot as well as anything out there. I don't think I could tell the difference in shooting with any of the barrel makers we've used.

M-Tecs
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Krieger makes only button rifled barrels, no?

Krieger is cut rifled only. http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/
Krieger Barrels, Inc. manufactures precision single-point cut-rifled barrels in calibers ranging from .20 Cal. through 4 Bore for the best target and custom rifles

Olevern
03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks, M-Tecs,
I have had Krieger barrels on bench rest rifles and know their quality. Haven't been in that discipline in 20 years so my knowledge is dated.
Sounds like I should give them a jingle.