PDA

View Full Version : Victory. Leaving hospital soon.

Recluse
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
At 0930 this morning, I was put on a gurney and wheeled into the radiology unit where all kinds of IVs were stuck into me, plus oxygen and monitors and the whole kabish.

What they were doing was to use the CT scan machine as a "virtual" radar or vision center to guide a needle, drain and pump into my abdominal cavity, locate the abscess, perforate it, drain it, then evacuate it. If that doesn't sound like much fun, then you're right. But it beats what I've been going through for almost the past week with the spiking fever, sudden shakes and skyrocketing pain.

Within a half-hour of getting back to my room, I noticed immediate whole scale improvement--the pain caused by the abscess was gone. The pain that remains is from the original surgery of just a couple of weeks ago, plus some new pain from this procedure but which I can tell will dissipate rather quickly--or so I'm hoping.

Temperature/fever has broke and remained stable at 98.1 (my normal temp) and my overall pain-scale rating has fallen from the once 8.5 (extremely severe) without the dilaudid or morphine down to an easily manageable 2.5 and subsiding. Again, the pain that remains is associated with the surgical and radiology procedures, both of which will heal.

Yesterday, my temper broke and I do mean BROKE and I blew the roof off of the place. I'd texted Lois what was going on and she dropped everything and rushed to get here but she was too late to stop it. The nurses and medical staff here are superb. The administrators and peripheral pissants aren't worth ****. They are the proverbial REMFs who when a sergeant puts in a request for air support or for artillery think that THEY need to determine whether the sergeant actually needs that air support or artillery.

And yesterday, I ripped them enough new ***-holes that they can now stand shoulder to shoulder and whistle Zippity-Do-Da through their orifices with more combined voice than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I started with the VP of Operations, who came to my room "insulted by my insinuations" and I literally peeled the paint off the walls while reading him the riot act in three different languages.

The problem was in zero communications. I would be told I'm having a procedure at say, 0830 in the morning and therefore it was necessary to starve me for the preceding eight hours. 0830 would come and go and it would be 1100 and still no word. My nurses would call, and the pissants would literally ignore them or promise to "get back with them." I never knew WHEN or even IF any of the things the doctors had ordered would happen.

As it turns out, at this hospital, everything has to go through these "manager/administrators" first, and the staffs of these "manager/administrators" feel overly smug with their power.

I was on NPO four out of the six nights I've been here. NPO is a Latin sid code that stands for "Nothing By Mouth" and translates into, "starve and dehydrate the patient because we're going to invade one or more of his or her cavities in the next six hours and we don't want anything foul coming back up at us."

Today, I couldn't hardly get any rest what from all the nurses coming around and sneaking into my room and thanking me for standing up for them and taking on the "hospital management machine." It seems the guy who I cussed up one side and down the other and literally at the top of my voice here in the room is about as popular among the staff as Michelle & Barack Obama are in our family.

In addition to the nurses, I also had several doctors who make their rounds here stop by my room and quietly thank me for putting the alpha hotel in his place. Two of the docs promised that they are going to follow up with their respective medical groups in order to put pressure on the hospital board to remove this worthless bureaucrat so that the nurses can once again return to being real nurses rather than errand girls.

It's looking like I'll be discharged tomorrow (Wednesday) after lunch. I'm just ready to come home.

:coffee:

ga41
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Great news...I think. ..glad to see you on the right road of recovery

TXGunNut
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Great news. I'm wondering if the bureaucracy you dealt with is a sign of things to come. I've had a round or two with admin types in hospitals, if my sis didn't have to make her living in the healthcare system I would have been a little less restrained.
Sounds like you're feeling better, that's what really matters anyway.

MT Gianni
03-19-2013, 10:17 PM
I am glad that you are healing and hope that it continues.

MtGun44
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear they found the abcess and drained it. Get Well.

Sounds like you located one in the hospital admin and maybe it, too, will be drained.

Bill

wallenba
03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Probably your 'ornery' gene kicked in to help too! Kicked some germy butt!

runfiverun
03-19-2013, 10:25 PM
admin and HR are the wave of the future.
if you know any kids get them headed in that direction.

Silver Eagle
03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Get certified copies of all of your medical records, lab work, surgery report and anything else from all of your stays during this episode. Consult with an attorney and see if you have a case against the hospital. That "abscess" they drained may have been something they missed during the initial surgery. Put the head of that "manager/administrator" right at the top of the potential suit.
As a side note: There have been a few studies done as the necessity of the "starve them then cut them" requirements of a lot of procedures. Basically, they still exist as a "just in case" to help cover the hospitals and doctors butts if anything goes wrong. After all, if one goes in for an emergency procedure. They don't have time for the 8 hour+ starve and flush routine, now do they?

TCLouis
03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Still swear medical misadventure is what killed a friend.

They kill and damage a bunch every ear.

The good ones save a bunch too.

Recluse
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Consult with an attorney and see if you have a case against the hospital. That "abscess" they drained may have been something they missed during the initial surgery. Put the head of that "manager/administrator" right at the top of the potential suit.
As a side note: There have been a few studies done as the necessity of the "starve them then cut them" requirements of a lot of procedures. Basically, they still exist as a "just in case" to help cover the hospitals and doctors butts if anything goes wrong. After all, if one goes in for an emergency procedure. They don't have time for the 8 hour+ starve and flush routine, now do they?

With all due respect, but, bullpoop.

First off, the young lady who was my surgeon two weeks ago did nothing wrong. The percentages of having an appendix burst between prepping for surgery and actual surgery are low. Real low. Secondly, even for ruptured appendixes, the statistics for abscesses to form are higher than 50%.

Any malpractice suit ultimately involves the doctor and I'll be DAMNED if I would do that to this young lady who doted over me almost like a little sister because of the agony I was in both before and after the surgery. She went above and beyond. Nobody gets it right 100% of the time and sometimes, you CAN'T get it right because there are things and circumstances you can't see or have never seen.

Only a (expletive) deleted lawyer or legal professional can't realize that.

As far as the NPOs, you yourself stated they are a CYA so why in the hell would I want to consider a lawsuit over something put into place because of previous lawsuits?

Damned lawyers are the root cause of the overwhelming majority of problems in this country--including healthcare.

Johnch
03-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Hope you get better fast

I also have had fun with the NPO drill before a number of opperations
More fun is when they push a 9AM opperation to 4PM
Then I got sick from a lack of both water and food

Not my Doc's fault
They sent 1 Doc home because they had nothing for him to do
And dumped all the extra work on my Doc
And yes they are talking sweet to me

John

Hamish
03-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Sit Rep: Situation Normal; Recluse kicking tail and adjusting attitudes.

Carry on. (Quit jacking around and get better)

Superfly
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Hey Great news there Soon to be sleeping in your own bed, Great news it is.

geargnasher
03-20-2013, 01:30 AM
When you get healed up, I believe the next session of Congress could use your valuable input!

Gear

OeldeWolf
03-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Glad to hear you are on the recovery side of this.

And yes, it is almost always the admin side where the biggest foul-ups seem to happen.

gmsharps
03-20-2013, 01:49 AM
I tip my hat to you about the hospital. It looks like they did everything they could to control the situation so no action is necessary against the hospital. Good luck on the recovery and get back on your feet. We enjoy your input.

gmsharps

gandydancer
03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Good for you kiddo.keep up the good work & your writing. get well soon, gandy.

Blacksmith
03-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Recluse
Perhaps you could include a hospital administrator in your upcoming book. Perhaps he could die a particularly appropriate death.

Maybe the next book should revolve around a hospital theme?

Glad you are improving.

Olevern
03-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Good to hear that you're on the mend and feeling better.

Olevern
03-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Dr.Ben Carson for president!

Bad Water Bill
03-20-2013, 04:10 AM
DEER Mr Recluse mi name realy b GRAVEL GIRTY but BWB keps fergith ta sa dat.

BWB sed u b felin beter but mite need sum hep kikin a cupl FOOLS were tha wer ment ta b kikd.

Ifin ya can use sum hep BWB sez I kin mozy on doun thata wa an lend a HOOF OR 2[smilie=1:

Wit thez new shuz he got me (20 peni nales welden on) I kin leve a lastin impreshun tha wont sune fergit.

Yerz truli GRAVEL GIRTY

Ajax
03-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Great news JD. I applaud you for giving em hell, what else is a ill tempered Texan to do.

Andy

deltaenterprizes
03-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Good news, hospital stays ain't no fun, been there done that too many times.
Get well soon, prayers sent.

P.K.
03-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Good to hear, grab some BBQ on the way home and no field trips to the LGS. Sit back, mend and watch a DVD or two....;-)

Wal'
03-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Sounds to me, you're just about back to your old self. :-D :-D :-D :lol: :D

btroj
03-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Glad to hear you are going home. Surviving the hospital shuffle isn't easy.

Beau Cassidy
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
First off, the young lady who was my surgeon two weeks ago did nothing wrong. The percentages of having an appendix burst between prepping for surgery and actual surgery are low. Real low. Secondly, even for ruptured appendixes, the statistics for abscesses to form are higher than 50%.

That would be a big 10-4 right there. You stand a very high chance of forming an abscess after an ruptured appendix. In order to have a suite you must have bad outcomes. It sounds like the surgeon did everything right here. You can't sue a hospital or facility for being jerks or having poor scheduling of procedures.

**oneshot**
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
AWESOME!!!! AWESOME!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!! nuff said

Goatwhiskers
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Sure glad to hear the news! Would love to have been there to hear it, but I suppose my laughter would have spoiled the effect. GW

Cane_man
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
can't keep a good man down... thank you Lord Jesus

Recluse
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
That would be a big 10-4 right there. You stand a very high chance of forming an abscess after an ruptured appendix. In order to have a suite you must have bad outcomes. It sounds like the surgeon did everything right here. You can't sue a hospital or facility for being jerks or having poor scheduling of procedures.

Beau, I'd like to buy you a bowl of chili for your observation.

I DETEST lawsuits and in this particular case, every single medical provider I've had has been the epitome of a caring, empathetic professional and I'll be damned if I do anything to cause them any grief whatsoever.

I've had nurses sitting with me at night with cold compresses when I was running way high temperatures, I've had nurses come in and just sit with me when I couldn't sleep and the morphine and dilaudin wasn't working, I've had doctors call me personally at 0300 in the morning from their beds at home to check on me.

Sue them because some non-medical REMFs are simply gearing up for the next phase of Obamacare? No way. Not now. Not ever. Sue the hospital and see these awesome medical folks drug through the mud and then ultimately thrown under the sacrificial bus driven by Obamacare? No way in hell.

In fact, I have done just the opposite. I had my wife bring up a stack of my business cards and I've handed them out to my nurses with the 100% assurance that should any pissant administrator give them ANY grief of BS that they think might be related to this, to call me immediately and I will have a very close, intimate and personal visit with said administrator/s and that the nurses would then have the gift of being able to administer medical care to these REMFs.

And I'm serious about that. Sometimes all bad people understand is the very real possibility of Bad Things happening to them that hurt very much. Because at the end of the day, REMFs are bullies and bullies are cowards and cowards fear above all else, physical confrontation that they know will lead to severe physical pain.

We've become a nation of wimps and wussies who let other "law slingers" do our fighting and bidding for us. I'm done with that. We didn't have these problems when my grandparents were growing up at the turn of the century. Men folk settled things in a gentlemanly way if the other side was agreeable to that. If they weren't, then fists and boots usually settled the score.

I'm a Texan and that is my heritage and I do not like the way this new age PC garbage has given more power to the REMFs and bullies of our society and neutered the victims.

This entire hospital experience has made me an even more changed and determined man.

shooterg
03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Somebody send the man a voice activated recorder so he can send out the audio next time !
I have an image of someone similar to my Pops , using the wonderful vocabulary he learned as a Marine DI while enlightening me on the error of my ways.

Like the book idea above ! A serial killer after hospital admins - but why would you wanna catch him ?(PS-my bride is employed by a hospital with similar probs).

Good to see the Recluse posting often again !

snuffy
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear you're heading home JD! God DOES answer prayer!:D

Had to look up REMF. Since I was never in combat, and I never read a Tom Clancy book, I was not familiar with Rear Echelon M***** F*****!

One basic requirement for medical personnel should be compassion for others. My son is going to be a PA, (physicians Assistant). He's already an EMT/FIREMAN. I see how much he cares for his fellow human beings.

It sounds as though the hospital administer was absent the day the compassion was handed out! It sounds like you told him he was missing the mark on basic service! I hope it got through his thick head.

dudits
03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
grats on getting out of hell!

sadly in this PC day and age most people dont have a voice "most have an opinion after the fact" glad to hear you do.

Wayne Smith
03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Very glad you are healing, that the problem was found and treated, and that you applied appropriate pressure in the needed places. Now come on home after a job well done.