PDA

View Full Version : Commercial size Greenhouse .... anyone have one?

Bullshop
03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
not sure where to ask (so moderators if this needs moved - please do so - thanks!)

I am interested in putting up a large greenhouse (1000 square feet or more)

any advice? suggestions etc? supplies (plastic etc) that is best...?

thanks for any help --- Tina BS Mom

Swamp Man
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
not sure where to ask (so moderators if this needs moved - please do so - thanks!)

thanks for any help --- Tina BS Mom Go check out supplies for building your green house at A.M. Leonard they carry everything you would need. Make sure to use green house film with a high UV rating cheaper plastics won't last long at all and end up costing you more in the long run.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-19-2013, 07:26 PM
bummer, you're 15 years too late.
The property we are on had 7 huge green houses when we bought it (former nursery)
sold them for scrap :(

Phoenix
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Someone is selling several of them in Helena. Look on craigslist. they have everything even the pots for inside.

thanks for any help --- Tina BS Mom

coblake
03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
I built commercial green houses for several years. I worked for a guy who was a dealer for this company http://ggs-greenhouse.com/ He would sell a green house to someone, then use us to build it for them. We were based in NW Ohio, but would travel all over Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and even out to Chicago for jobs. I did it for about 6 years. GGS is the real deal as far as quality goes, not at all cheap though. You're gonna want something pretty sturdy up there though. I don't know where you are exactly, but I lived in Palmer for 3 years (just got here about 8 months ago actually) and man that wind is something.
1K sq feet is pretty small actually, (we covered 6 acres with gutter connects once) you could easily get by with a cold frame. As someone else said, you need to get the right plastic covering. Several companies make UV protected poly especially for green houses. Interesting fact, you actually need two sheets of plastic. You lay one right over the other, lock down all the edges and inflate it with a small blower fan. This creates a "bubble" which insulates the house and keeps the poly taut. The poly needs to be taut to shrug off the wind.
You can build everything you need with lumber, but I think quality poly is a must. You won't get by with visqueen... I gotta go to bed now, but I can tell you anything you want to know about building green houses. Good night.

Bad Water Bill
03-20-2013, 04:25 AM
Well FINALLY the BOSS comes out of hiding. Hi Tina :D

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of information that comes forth every day from a boolit casting site.

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Say Bill I am beginning to get this picture the my Missus is the only reason I am tollerated around here.

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Well FINALLY the BOSS comes out of hiding. Hi Tina :D

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of information that comes forth every day from a boolit casting site.

Thanks!! i hear enough about boolits everyday --- i have to bring in other topics so *I* will visit too 8-)

BS Mom

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Someone is selling several of them in Helena. Look on craigslist. they have everything even the pots for inside. thanks - i had called them over the weekend - they want $36,000 for an old one -- that probably will need new plastic and such - too much for me

BS Mom

Bullshop
03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
I built commercial green houses for several years. I worked for a guy who was a dealer for this company http://ggs-greenhouse.com/ He would sell a green house to someone, then use us to build it for them. We were based in NW Ohio, but would travel all over Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and even out to Chicago for jobs. I did it for about 6 years. GGS is the real deal as far as quality goes, not at all cheap though. You're gonna want something pretty sturdy up there though. I don't know where you are exactly, but I lived in Palmer for 3 years (just got here about 8 months ago actually) and man that wind is something.
1K sq feet is pretty small actually, (we covered 6 acres with gutter connects once) you could easily get by with a cold frame. As someone else said, you need to get the right plastic covering. Several companies make UV protected poly especially for green houses. Interesting fact, you actually need two sheets of plastic. You lay one right over the other, lock down all the edges and inflate it with a small blower fan. This creates a "bubble" which insulates the house and keeps the poly taut. The poly needs to be taut to shrug off the wind.
You can build everything you need with lumber, but I think quality poly is a must. You won't get by with visqueen... I gotta go to bed now, but I can tell you anything you want to know about building green houses. Good night.

Wow! thanks -- it is nice to hear about the *reason* for the two plastic pieces -- i have looked into some -- and was thinking of getting one --- for an extension -- or maybe a full greenhouse --- the price was quite a difference -- but i now understand the two pieces better...oh and we are in MT now --- not sure why i haven't changed that yet --- we were in Delta where is gets really cold and windy -- but many have the two layered greenhouses...

Tina -BS Mom

RayinNH
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Here's a place that sells them. This link gives you some information as well as a buyers guide about greenhouses...Ray http://www.teksupply.com/contractor/supplies/cat1a;ts1_greenhouses_accessories

Phoenix
03-21-2013, 01:43 AM
thanks - i had called them over the weekend - they want $36,000 for an old one -- that probably will need new plastic and such - too much for me

BS Mom

Wow, I Called someone who was selling them in Helena 3 years ago. 4k with everything, even the fans. They were 40x60. but I think the ones on there now are 40x100. still too much. I will ask around, I know some people that could definately have a line on cheaper ones. My neighbor (if you call 4 miles away on dirt that) got 2500 pots for free from the same guy that had the ones for 4k. I will have to see what deals are out there.