PDA

View Full Version : 1905 Model 92

tbierley
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
I got bullet mould in Sat and went to range Sunday the rifle shot as good as I remember grouping around 1inch at 50 yards. What I need to know is how disassemble the rifle for a good cleaning. After 108 years it needs it.

pietro
03-19-2013, 08:02 PM

The best thing you can do to help yourself would be to order the takedown & slick-up DVD from www.stevesgunz.com

helice
03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
+1 on Pietro's post. Steve has the information you want. Worth every cent.

jlchucker
03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Like the other guys have been saying, get Steve's DVD. I got it after an old gunsmith had slicked up my Rossi. I watched it, and found out the old guy, who's been in the business for decades, and hates computers with a passion, did it pretty much like Steve did. Trouble is, those old guys are getting scarce.

fouronesix
03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I recommend not taking it apart.
Take take the wood off.
Wash it out with a can of aerosol Gun-Scrubber, Carburetor Cleaner, or Brake Clean at the Auto Parts Store.
Spray it out over newspaper outside using the straw that comes with it.
Let it dry. Blow it dry if you have air compressor.
Then oil it. Wipe it down. There are some good aerosol gun oils too that get into hard to reach places. A little goes along way. Drop some LSA oil between the hammer, trigger, main spring contact surfaces.

Plus 1 on that!!

Doubtful you can "slick up" a 1905 M92! All that might do is speed up wearing it out or buggering pins and screws!

Use screwdrivers that fit the few screws required to take the stocks off and do as Bill Weddle says. Since the 92s and 86s have a blind receiver you can take a small stiff artist's type brush and work on the varnish and crud while spraying the carb cleaner.

Marvin S
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Look for the old NRA firearms assembly manual. It is a valuable book.

downwind
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
EXCELLENT BOOK:

"GUNSMITHING GUNS OF THE OLD WEST" by David R. Chicoine

Step by step instructions with exploded views

hope this helps
DOWNWIND

bob208
03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
i am in the don't take it apart bunch. they are easy to clean just like biil said. it saves alot of trouble. and maybe a post a few days later of where can i get parts or how do i get it back together or it does not work right.

guicksylver
03-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Having been a dealer for many years, I've seen more damage done to great old guns like this by cleaning than shooting.

Don't take it apart even with a video.

Great way to loose or destroy the value.

It has survived all these years, enjoy it and pass it along unmolested.

yooper
03-24-2013, 11:59 PM
"Look for the old NRA firearms assembly manual. It is a valuable book. "

Just like Marvin S said. I've taken countless 1894's, '92's, 73's and an '86 down to the last pin and screw, cleaned them completely and reassembled them with the help of the NRA Shoulder Arms Disassembly/Assembly Manuals. Step by step text as well as diagrams. With a couple decent screwdrivers and punches, it's not really a big deal. What I did at the beginning was to have a big sheet of paper on which I placed and labeled each part as I removed them from the rifle. As I got more familiar with the system I did away with that step. Cleaned, lightly lubed and reassembled and a 100 year old Winchester SRC will be good for another 100 years. Just my nickles worth.
yooper

missionary5155
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Good morning
The NRA books are very helpful. There are others out there also. The internet has sites that will show you step by step. Just do a search.
Add an egg carton to the disassembly and those parts are well kept. After you have done this procedure correctly once you will see how simple it is.
Old rifles and handguns can be full of rubish that does not enhance function and can be very detramental to function. Brass, dirt, brush parts, powder residue, cacked oil / grease, and Rust !
Get a good screw driver set and use the correct size for the screw. Be patient. Go slow. You may need to soak a screw / bolt with penetrating oil. Wait till you find your first spiders nest.
Mike in Peru

Throckmorton
03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
this goes way back,but I saw a 'real' model 92 being worked on by a 'smith,and it was not the same innards as a Rossi. If I'm wrong....welll,it won't be the 1st time. LOL

to clarify,I"m not sure Steve's cd on the Rossi will 'work' for a real Winchester. again,if I"M wrong...'scuse me.

Marvin S
03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
this goes way back,but I saw a 'real' model 92 being worked on by a 'smith,and it was not the same innards as a Rossi. If I'm wrong....welll,it won't be the 1st time. LOL
That Rossi is also in the NRA book.