PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Oregon

CobraMan
03-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Everybody, I am a newbie on this site and I am from Eugene, Oregon. I am going to start casting 45 cal bootlits and just ordered a bottle of bullplate spruce plate lube from Bullshop. I look forward to participating in various forums on this site as well as obtaining and sharing awesome information from the the rest of you. Talk to you soon.

Take Care,
CobraMan

trixter
03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
hi everybody, i am a newbie on this site and i am from eugene, oregon. I am going to start casting 45 cal bootlits and just ordered a bottle of bullplate spruce plate lube from bullshop. I look forward to participating in various forums on this site as well as obtaining and sharing awesome information from the the rest of you. Talk to you soon.

Take care,
cobraman

welcome!

Bullet Caster
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Welcome to Castboolits, cobraman. This is the danged best site on the whole internet. You'll find answers to all your questions here since there is a plethora of information on the site. Welcome aboard. Be safe and have fun. From eastern TN, BC

runfiverun
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
your mold is too cold.
clean it again.
heat cycle it a time or two.
yes you need 452/358.
stop squishing the boolits in your die set.

oh and welcome aboard.

quilbilly
03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Welcome aboard. You will be hooked in no time.

littlejack
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
CobraMan:
Welcome sir to the CastBoolits.
Looks like runfiverun answered some of your questions before they got ask. LOL
What .45 are you wanting to cast for, handgun, smokless rifle, black powder rifle?
I am in Eugene also.
Reguards
Jack

xacex
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Ahh, a fellow Oregonian from the red side! Long live the south, even if I am a beves fan(alum). Welcome aboard sir! I think you will like it here.

mpmarty
03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Welcome! I'm just a bit south of you in the Red part of the state. If you get down my way feel free to drop in for a cup of java and a look see at my casting setup.

MtGun44
03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
LOL! runfive.
Like I have been saying - the answer to #1 newbie question is: Because your
mold is dirty and too cold.

Now you have the correct answers to the next few.

What a timesaver!

Welcome, Cobraman - I assume this is the Shelby kind.

Bill

runfiverun
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
couldn't resist.

I thought I heard him laughing at my G.T.

waco
03-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Howdy! I'm just across the river in Springfield. This is a great site with lots of good people, and great info.

fcvan
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Welcome aboard! Eugene is a nice enough place to be from! I split my time between Colorado and the border of Cal/Ore on the (hack, cough) CA side. I even crossed the border today and went to Brookings. I still will never get why gas is 4.39 here and 3.69 20 miles away. And y'all get valet gas pumping service :) Enjoy the obsession, er, I mean hobby!

OregonCaster
03-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Welcome there my fellow Oregonian.

dale2242
03-20-2013, 07:19 AM
fcfan, You in Crescent City?.......dale

bobthenailer
03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Howdy ! welcome to the melting pot

CobraMan
03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks to ALL of you for the very warm welcome, I appreciate it. I am going to start pouring 45 cal. boolits. I just received my new
Lee Bullet Mold with handles 45 cal TL452-230-2R Round Nose 90346 .452 NIB, I should be receiving my new Lee single stage press any day now, I just received the Lee .452 resizer kit. I have been studying and reading on this site for about a month now, and have gained alot of knowledge, HOWEVER, I really appreciate the tips from you experienced ones. I am a very experienced lead poorer, I pour my own lead weights for fishing but this is my first time pouring boolits.

Again, any tips would be greatly appreciated. Between the gun stuff, also getting the boat and fishing stuff ready for Halibut fishing in a couple of months and oh, can not forget the COBRA car, have to get out and burn some rubber. Being retiired is alot of work, FUN WORK.

CobraMan
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi Jack: 45 cal. acp, handgun,
Lee Bullet Mold with handles 45 cal TL452-230-2R Round Nose 90346 .452 NIB, if you would like to exchange phone numbers shoot me a PM.. Thanks.

CobraMan
03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=MtGun44;2125115]LOL! runfive.
Like I have been saying - the answer to #1 newbie question is: Because your
mold is dirty and too cold.

Now you have the correct answers to the next few.

What a timesaver!

Welcome, Cobraman - I assume this is the Shelby kind.

Hi Bill: Yes, a 427 Shelby Cobra, 2 seater, (Get in, shut up, and HOLD ON.............) Its like dumpin the clip with my Springfield 45 Tactical, what a rush.6470664707

CobraMan
03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Welcome to Castboolits, cobraman. This is the danged best site on the whole internet. You'll find answers to all your questions here since there is a plethora of information on the site. Welcome aboard. Be safe and have fun. From eastern TN, BC

I love your quote by Jesus, My wife and I have a Bible household, in Jesus name we pray, Amen.

luky-dude
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Man a holy roller--rolling in a ride like that. Mopar Gods gift

fcvan
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Dale2242, Yup I'm in CC, that is when I'm not in Colorado as I go back and forth. I'm currently out west.

CobraMan
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Man a holy roller--rolling in a ride like that. Mopar Gods gift

Hi Luky-dude: Yes sir, a Holy Roller packin a Springfield 45 on my right hip and a Ruger 357 wheel gun on the left hip, Tweekers Beware, we have a ton of them in Eugene and Springfield. Take Care.

littlejack
03-20-2013, 12:24 PM
That little bitty VeeeeeeeeeeHickel has a 427 in it !!!!!!!!? You gotta be kidd'n?
The fastest thing I had was a 1967 Goat, with a 400 in it.
Yes sir, in Jesus name we pray. Amen
Jack

DrCaveman
03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Cobraman

I'll have to keep an eye out for that sweet ride. I almost think I have seen you before, those are pretty distinctive.

Doubt there are two in our little metropolis anyway. If you haven't been you should check out the gun works muzzleloader shop in Springfield. Mostly BP oriented, but they have molds, dies, sizers, ingots, lube all in stock.

Not the greatest selection but at least they have something.

And welcome! Glad to know its not all hippies around here!

littlejack
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Hippies!!!!!, I thought those were extinct?

R.Ph. 380
03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Heck no, they grew up to be vice president................................

wrench man
03-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Tweekers Beware, we have a ton of them in Eugene and Springfield.

I work two blocks from the mission!, it's really to bad we can't shoot them!, and don't get me started on them #&^%%$ HIPPIES!, If they'd burn the UofO to the ground Eugene might not be to bad of a place to live?
If I ever get around to dropping the new engine in my RAMBLER we'll have to see how it stacks up against your Ford!?

CobraMan
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Hippies!!!!!, I thought those were extinct?

Ha, Ha, Littlejack, Eugene & Springfield are full of young and old hippies. Unfortunately they are the ones carrying the vote in this county. There are just not enough of us good people.

CobraMan
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I work two blocks from the mission!, it's really to bad we can't shoot them!, and don't get me started on them #&^%%$ HIPPIES!, If they'd burn the UofO to the ground Eugene might not be to bad of a place to live?
If I ever get around to dropping the new engine in my RAMBLER we'll have to see how it stacks up against your Ford!?

Sounds fun, lets burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn some rubber and run over some hippies.................I agree 100 % with your above statements.

CobraMan
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
That little bitty VeeeeeeeeeeHickel has a 427 in it !!!!!!!!? You gotta be kidd'n?
The fastest thing I had was a 1967 Goat, with a 400 in it.
Yes sir, in Jesus name we pray. Amen
Jack

In its day the goat was a fast buggy, until the chevy camaro and chevelle SS 396 & 427's came along. I have a friend who owns a 1964 GTO convertible, all stock and original, 389 tri-power, 100% restored, showroom condition, sweet ride, he does not come over any more as he is tired of me trying to buy it all the time.

littlejack
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I understand that.
I have had many great memories of running the "GUT" (Willammette Street) here in Eugene. Conducting Speed Contests (racing) was a normal opccurance. I remember gas being 24.9 cents per gallon. We could buy 2.00 worth of gas and run all night long. Now 2.00 gets you a half gallon.
My wifes ex, had a 69 Dodge SuperBee with the 383 in it. That thing was a going conscern. There wasn't much around here that would outrun it.
Jack

OregonCaster
03-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Hi Luky-dude: Yes sir, a Holy Roller packin a Springfield 45 on my right hip and a Ruger 357 wheel gun on the left hip, Tweekers Beware, we have a ton of them in Eugene and Springfield. Take Care.

Ain't that the truth.

mdi
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome fellow Orygunian! Well, the second best thing I ever did was to escape L.A. and move to Brookings (married to my current wife is #1, and quit drinking mebbe third, or mebbe...). Went steelhead fishing in the Chetco last week, and shooting a couple days before that. Both less than 30 minutes outta my driveway.

CobraMan
03-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Welcome fellow Orygunian! Well, the second best thing I ever did was to escape L.A. and move to Brookings (married to my current wife is #1, and quit drinking mebbe third, or mebbe...). Went steelhead fishing in the Chetco last week, and shooting a couple days before that. Both less than 30 minutes outta my driveway.

Hi mdi:

I know this is a "Boolit" site, however you said, "fishing", and now ya got me goin on fishing. When I am not makin Boolits I am fishing. Do you like to fish the ocean? If so, I fish the ocean alot, this will be my 41st year fishing the ocean etc. I will send you a PM about fishin. Thanks for the welcome.

fcvan
03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
MDI, which boolit do you use on steelhead? own here on the Smith River I think you have to use steel boolits. Dad burned california. I think its time to head back to Colorado for a spell :)

Pilgrim
03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Steelhead!! Off topic, sorta...my 1st steelhead was collected (please note not caught) about age 14. I was meandering a low swampy area about a mile below the house with my ever present .22 rifle. Spotted a small steely in an irrigation ditch and after a bunch of shots and running up and down the ditch I got it! Well, at least I was using a lead boolit so it is sorta on topic. Boolits are really useful things, doncha know.

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Pilgrim: I guess you can get away with that in Washington, however, here in Oregon there are to many wanna be environmentalists which if they saw you do this they would turn you in and Oregon law would throw the book at you. Its real weird here in Eugene Oregon as we currently have 6 criminals convicted of murder walking the streets because of jail overcrowding, however, if you jaywalk they prosecute you. Liberal Land Oregon, I read a post the other day a guy was complaining about all the freebies in Oregon, foodstamps, welfare etc., which is true, way to many freebies, and then he throws in, Oregon, where Men are Men and sheep are SCARED, ohhhh boy, I told my wife that and she says don't leave the house without( BlackMamba), my 45 acp Springfield Tactical, and I said no worries.

Pilgrim
03-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Cobra - One of my older bro's lived in Eugene for many years. U of O mucky muck. Now retired. Liberal almost thru & thru. Likes fishing and travels great distances to do so, so I guess there is some reality in there yet. Back when I whacked that steely (over 50 yrs ago) boys with rifles were not unusual. Also collecting a steely with a .22 would have been OK with everyone but a game warden. Maybe OK with many of them! Bunny huggers and their like were considered seriously whacko. Thanks to the press and political correctness those folk are thought of as heroes and to be emulated. Sad. SORRY for the off topic post. Pilgrim

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Pilgrim, I am not a fan of politics or the way the U of Oregon, whoops, I mean Phil Knight University, or Nike University is run, to me those in the P.K University are all running around with their noses in the air and think they walk on water, anyway, go BOOLITS.

Doc65
03-24-2013, 01:45 PM
I was back "home" (born just outside the university in question) about a year ago & drove thru the U, couldn't believe all the Nike buildings that are "only" for athletes. I was sick with all the sell out for the PK money. Still love the area, but can't stand the politics.

DrCaveman
03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
It's ironic though that the influx/takeover by nike has to some degree reduced the 'hippiness' of the university in favor of more preppy-liberal attitude. Like, you shave every day and dress in polo shirts, but you recycle and campaign for greenpeace.

Plenty of my old pals from southern oregon could probably be called 'hippie' at a distance but you spend a few minutes talking, conversation leads to guns, and you realize they appreciate the fine things in life: room to swing your elbows, enough land to support yourself with food, decent access to quality hunting land, and minimal government interference.

And most of all, the self sustenance of casting and reloading your own boolits. I think we can all agree on that being a good thing regardless of political, spiritual, or financial status.

Good shooting to all you oregonians, and everybody else too.

DrCaveman
03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
What i just said reads a lot like the pleas of the plains tribes during the indian wars of the 1870s-1890s. Interesting how things go full circle. I guess we americans do live in a special land.

mpmarty
03-24-2013, 02:14 PM
+1 on enough room to swing your elbows. I'm blessed by living in Douglas county right in the middle of the Tioga unit where the elk and deer are plentiful. We have to keep a 10 foot fence around the garden or the deer eat us out of house and home. We've got a bit over forty acres here in timber and if it were ironed out flat we'd have more like eighty acres or more. Had a bear visit our front yard last summer while I was napping. My wife took his picture but didn't wake me up to collect him.

wrench man
03-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Pilgrim, I am not a fan of politics or the way the U of Oregon, whoops, I mean Phil Knight University, or Nike University is run, to me those in the P.K University are all running around with their noses in the air and think they walk on water, anyway, go BOOLITS.

YEP!, since uncle Phils offer wasn't enough to keep O'l Skippy Kelly on board it'll be interesting to see how bad the football program tanks this season!??
My EX works for PKU in the molecular biology dept., those are some of the WEIRDEST!! people you could EVER? meet.:veryconfu

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
I was back "home" (born just outside the university in question) about a year ago & drove thru the U, couldn't believe all the Nike buildings that are "only" for athletes. I was sick with all the sell out for the PK money. Still love the area, but can't stand the politics.

Roger that 100%, those folks do not have any integrity or character, they would sell out their own mother in favor of money.........

Hawkeye45
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome cobraman, I am just up the road, just south of Salem. If you get up this way call.

Me. Ed

Raven_Darkcloud
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Welcome, We have good numbers here. I'm up outside of portland. I have family down your way.

CobraMan
03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Welcome cobraman, I am just up the road, just south of Salem. If you get up this way call.

Me. Ed

Thanks for the welcome and will do Ed.

Hondo 60
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow - Cobraman, welcome & that is one sweet lookin ride.
and Amen brothers!

Mat 22:37-40

CobraMan
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks Hondo 60, yes its a very fun car and hobby, just like making boolits and shooting.